Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 17-07-2019, 07:43 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I actually put an I5 NUC on my mount early this year with good results. I am pretty sure it has 19V printed at the power input pin, but the specs say 12-19V. I am running it off my 12V supply that does the rest of the mount and camera etc. The only issue is running it headless requires a HDMI dummy plug, but that is apparently down to the specification of most video cards, it they don't detect a display attached they default to decades old VGA output mode. You could remote in to it fine but you had not much real estate to play with and at least one program refused to run with that resolution (Stellarium I think)

Best to dig for the spec sheet for your particular model. I have a Celeron that says 12V and it's included supply put out 12.5V. I tried using that on my supply for the mount (a desktop power supply from Jaycar) which puts out about 13V and the Celeron wouldn't boot.
Old 17-07-2019, 08:15 AM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

My observatory is powered by a Dell - the NUC is lovely, but overpowered and over priced for my aquisition needs. Runs headless happily with Teamviewer or RDP
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG20190217174243.jpg)
58.4 KB30 views
Old 17-07-2019, 01:02 PM
Hemi

Geoff,

I have the exact same set up as you: NUC i7, Win 10 pro. I run it off 12V. haven't encountered any issues in 6m or so. Not sure if it throttles the CPU at 12V, but haven't had any issues running ASCOM and Sharpcap. Planetarium is on the iPad (sky safari pro) as I don't like stellarium or cartes, which would reduce the load.

Cheers

Hemi
Old 17-07-2019, 08:02 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Would these Asus VivoSticks be any use?
(Would need a hub for extra USB ports?)

https://www.umart.com.au/Asus-VivoSt...PC_35529G.html