Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 24-01-2013, 09:46 PM
CJ (Chris)

Stellarium night vision screen glare problem.

Hi all.
Stellarium is fantastic. No doubt about it. But, in night vision mode, the sheen on my laptop screen makes it very difficult to use in the field.
I was wondering how other people use Stellarium during an observing session. Has anyone else had this problem and found a work around?

Thanks from a currently very cloudy and wet SE Qld.
Old 24-01-2013, 10:14 PM
technofetishism (Nick)

Ive just got some large sheets of ND plastic stuck over my laptop screen. I find the night vision modes of most programs to be near useless.
Old 25-01-2013, 06:34 PM
CJ (Chris)

Thanks for that Nick. Searching around, it does seem that the overlay approach is the most popular. What does the ND stand for?
Thanks.
Old 25-01-2013, 10:51 PM
technofetishism (Nick)

Neutral Density. so just darkens the screen without affecting color. Ive also got some red sheets for if i need that.
Old 25-01-2013, 10:59 PM
CJ (Chris)

Thanks.
Old 27-01-2013, 11:34 PM
alexwolf (Alexander)

Do you have ideas how to make Night Vision mode in Stellarium is better?
Old 28-01-2013, 09:36 PM
technofetishism (Nick)

stellariums night vision is fine overall, the problem more comes from the fact that most laptop screens are just too bright anyway for night time use.

If you are using more than one program the problems are magnified as each program tends to do its "night vision" mode differently, and the bright flash as you flick between programs.
Old 29-01-2013, 09:05 AM
bobson (Bob)

You can try dimming screen function on your keyboard. Usually you hold Fn (function) key down and then press F5 (*) for down and F6 for brighter screen. The icons on keys should give you idea. On my if I do this at night and accidentally press F7 (x) it shuts down windows.

There is some setting in control panel for display as well where you can play with RGB settings and make it really red and decrease brightness even more but the best solution is getting red overlay over your screen as Nick mentioned. I got my through my astronomy club, and cut on screen size.

cheers
Old 29-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Barrykgerdes

Stellarium gives a night vision setting by re-allocating the colours to all objects by mapping them to various intensities of red.

If you don't like the standard setting you can change all settings in the config.ini file under [night_color]. - Experiment!

Barry
Old 29-01-2013, 04:06 PM
CJ (Chris)

I will have a tinker. Thanks.
Old 21-07-2019, 11:29 PM
Martncoz (Martin)

Smile Night Vision Red Screen For Most Laptops

Hi there,

If anyone is looking for a good red screen night vision setting for a laptop (either Mac or PC) try downloading f.lux. It's free software and has the usual 'sunset /sunrise' night-shift style adjustment settings, but if you look though the menu it also has a 'darkroom' mode. This switches your screen to a fully red colour mode. Importantly, it's not specific to any single application but work across your full operating system. Only thing I doesn't change is the backlit keyboard lighting, but this can usually be 'toned down' on most computers to an acceptable glow or even turned off if necessary.

F.lux can be found here: https://justgetflux.com

Cheers all.
Martin.

No kit yet, but searching.
Old 21-07-2019, 11:37 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martncoz View Post
Hi there,

If anyone is looking for a good red screen night vision setting for a laptop (either Mac or PC) try downloading f.lux. It's free software and has the usual 'sunset /sunrise' night-shift style adjustment settings, but if you look though the menu it also has a 'darkroom' mode. This switches your screen to a fully red colour mode. Importantly, it's not specific to any single application but work across your full operating system. Only thing I doesn't change is the backlit keyboard lighting, but this can usually be 'toned down' on most computers to an acceptable glow or even turned off if necessary.

F.lux can be found here: https://justgetflux.com

Cheers all.
Martin.

No kit yet, but searching.
Darkroom on f.lux works good only on newer Macbooks, because they have less backlight bleeding.
A good workaround is putting a transparent red foil over it.
My Android phone (Huawei Mate 9) requires it, but then it works awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screenshot 2019-07-21 at 16.34.07.jpg)
90.8 KB6 views
Old 23-07-2019, 09:57 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I will have to give f.lux a try. I have been using it for ages in its normal mode to cut down the blue light in the evening.

It is a pity Apple decided that with them releasing a night mode on the idevices we did not need to want f.lux any more so they kicked it off the App Store. I resorted to red gel on my iPad but it is only marginally effective as the normal screen colour scheme on an iPad is not well suited to putting a red filter over the top. A lot of things become very hard to read.