Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Old 28-03-2018, 05:01 PM
jwoody (Jeremy)

Power supply to distribution box. Help please

Hello all
Just thinking about simplifying my cables.
Having one USB to a powered hub and one power lead from a supply to a distribution box.

Something similar to this for the distribution box - http://www.westmountainradio.com/pro...s_id=rr_4005_c

Power? What is the difference between this
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LED-Driv...nSKHhKV0O7XXgA

and this....

https://www.jaycar.com.au/13-8v-20a-...upply/p/MP3078

Would possibly make my own distribution box but just sussing it all out at the moment.

Thank you
Jeremy
Old 28-03-2018, 08:05 PM
sharkbite
Look up!

Hi Jeremy...

The Led driver is not suitable for things like motors or scope controllers where you need a constant voltage. LEDs require a constant current and the supply will try to match that need by varying the voltage. You may end up frying your gear. At best your motors won't run properly.

A PC power supply with a 12v rail would be better.....but this would be a true 12v...not 13.8 like a car battery,
Which is what most "12v" devices are expecting

The 13.8 volt supply is rated at 20amps which should be more than adequate, its a good price and comes with an Aussie warranty.
Old 28-03-2018, 08:55 PM
jwoody (Jeremy)

Thank you
I do recall reading a reason somewhere why the cheaper one isn't suitable but couldn't remember why.
Thanks for explaining. I will go with the bench top supply

Jeremy
Old 29-03-2018, 01:33 AM
redbeard (Damien)

Hi Jeremy,

I thought the same thing and did it with 1 power and 1 USB lead.

USB Lead:
It pays to use the best quality USB lead you can get and use a 5 mtr lead instead of joining 2 together.
Depending on your USB gear get a Powered 4 port hub to suit eg: USB2 or USB3. I use the smallest powered one that I can find. They are sometimes hit or miss but sometimes the cheaper ones outlast the more expensive. They can suffer over time from the weather getting in so I replace the hub once per year. They are cheap.

Into the hub I plug a Canon 450D (has its own power), QHY5 Camera, Moonlite focus controller (has its own power) and my dew heater's USB connection for stats (has its own power).
I have a Meade 10" SCT and it fits at the back of the tube.

Power lead:
I use a regulated 12V, 5.5 amp plug pack which connects to a power box I made.
Inside the power box are 4 DC to DC adjustable regulators (cheap $1 ebay), with fuses. As well as direct 12v connections. This is also on the back of the scope tube.
I dial in 8v for the Canon, 5v for a laser, 5v for hub, 12v for the focus controller and 12v for the dew heater.
Some power supplies are better than others and you may want to separate power for the dew heater. I have done this and it's only another thin figure 8 wire tethered to the other 2 or use 4 core wire for power to power box and dew heater.

It's a real treat to only have those 2 cables. Good USB management at the scope end is critical I have found and once it's all working nice, test it before last minute setups.
I have found that when using USB hubs in this manner, it helps to always use the same USB ports on the PC. It's like if you get it wrong once, it keeps haunting you.

Cheers,

Damien.
Old 29-03-2018, 05:18 PM
jwoody (Jeremy)

Thank you Damien
Old 29-03-2018, 05:29 PM
JimsShed (Jim)

Andrews has power supplies. I got the Manson spa-8330. One of those items that does what it says and you never have to think about it. Amps galore
Old 30-03-2018, 07:57 AM
jwoody (Jeremy)

Thanks Jim
I ended up getting the 20 amp one in my link above, albeit not from Jaycar.
Cheers
Jeremy
Old 30-03-2018, 08:58 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

Can you show a pic of yours Damien. What plugs do you use for the power outputs?
Old 30-03-2018, 10:54 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
Can you show a pic of yours Damien. What plugs do you use for the power outputs?
Sure...

I use 4 different plugs so I don't fry anything. The 2 DC sockets are different size pins too and I think if the thin one accidentally gets plugged into the fat one, it would not be an issue and it would only be a voltage lower than the fat pin one needs. There what I had lying around in the assorted box.

And it's only 3 channel, thought it was 4 as I have 4 things plugged in but as the power supply is regulated, I pass the 12v straight through to the fourth. Built this a few years ago so was a bit hazy on what I exactly did. Photos show all. I added a LED voltage display too, but I often tape over it when taking astro photos.

The velcro at the back of the scope is where I place the USB hub.
The power box attaches to the focus controller and the focuser, otherwise I would have attached it to the back of the scope with velcro as it's quite light.

Cheers,
Damien
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_2349.JPG)
70.1 KB27 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2350.JPG)
62.3 KB25 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2351.JPG)
62.6 KB30 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2352.JPG)
115.2 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2353.JPG)
108.8 KB29 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2354.JPG)
92.5 KB30 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2355.JPG)
108.6 KB32 views

Last edited by redbeard; 02-04-2018 at 06:08 PM.