Old 01-12-2014, 11:23 AM
DaveNZ (Dave)

Moving up from a OSC. So which 8300 camera ?

Currently I'm using a QHY8 pro OSC and would like to upgrade to a mono ccd.

For my 250mm f4 Newtonian I think a 8300 ccd would be a good match. I would shoot RGB first and then move to narrowband or a mixture.

The QSI 683wsg-8 looks a popular choice which I have pencilled in as my current favourite.

Thoughts welcome for or against.

Cheers Dave
Old 01-12-2014, 12:55 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

There was a thread about this recently:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=128380

I considered the QSI 683 and the QHY9 before I bought my SBIG STT-8300M. From my research I had considered the QSI and the SBIG of equal quality and capability and ultimately I went with the SBIG because I thought the whole package, with self guiding filter wheel and adaptive optics, was a bit better.

A less important factor, though still relevant, was that the SBIG came with CCDSoft and as I was happy with all my other software (for mount control etc) I didn't want to spend another ~$500 on Maxim or TSX, or whatever, just for image capture.

There's also the Atik 383 which I haven't used, though I was really impressed with the quality of my Atik 314L+, and I really liked the included Atik Artemis capture software.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:20 PM
DaveNZ (Dave)

Thanks Hugh, I'll check the thread out. Yes the SBIG option looks good. I have just bought Maxim so software isn't an issue.

I think SBIG and QSI look good options and are a similar price point. I have noticed lately the odd QA issue with SBIG.
Old 30-12-2014, 12:23 AM
Physopto (Derek)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
Currently I'm using a QHY8 pro OSC and would like to upgrade to a mono ccd.

For my 250mm f4 Newtonian I think a 8300 ccd would be a good match. I would shoot RGB first and then move to narrowband or a mixture.

The QSI 683wsg-8 looks a popular choice which I have pencilled in as my current favourite.

Thoughts welcome for or against.

Cheers Dave
Hi Dave,
I have the QASI583wsg and like it so much I bought the QSI 683wsg8. Same ccd but better cooling and quicker downloads. It is a fair bit bigger and slightly heavier due to the 8 position filterwheel. Newer ccd chips have lower noise but they also have smaller chip area. So smaller view of the sky with the same telescope setup. Bigger ccd pixels also give deeper well depth. Choice is yours!
Best of luck.
Derek
Old 30-12-2014, 06:41 AM
SkyViking (Rolf)

I'm very happy with my QSI683wsg-8. It is a compact all-in-one high quality unit. Also, having the OAG prism in front of the filter wheel is an outstanding feature which lets you easily find a guide star every time. The cooling is more than adequate for NZ conditions, I operate it at -30C in winter and -25C in summer.
I'd also recommend a Lodestar guider to go with it.
Old 30-12-2014, 09:22 AM
rat156

I have the STT8300, with the CFW8G and a full set of filters. I've had it for a couple of years and love it. The CFW8G with the guiding chip in front of the filters is excellent. No need to buy another guide camera, as it's in the FW.

I have a similar scope to yours (ASA N12), so unless you have a different corrector in the scope, you'll struggle to get an AO unit in the back focus.

I don't think that there's much between the 8300 based cameras, so personal preference or price may be the deciding factors.

Cheers
Stuart
Old 30-12-2014, 02:08 PM
John K

Have you thought about going to a QHY9?

I have recently gone through the same research process and in terms of value for money thought that the QHY9 was good value with the filter wheel option. However, I already have an off axis guider and Lodestar guide camera.

Good luck with your research and us know how you go!
Old 01-01-2015, 09:51 AM
DaveNZ (Dave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyViking View Post
I'm very happy with my QSI683wsg-8. It is a compact all-in-one high quality unit. Also, having the OAG prism in front of the filter wheel is an outstanding feature which lets you easily find a guide star every time. The cooling is more than adequate for NZ conditions, I operate it at -30C in winter and -25C in summer.
I'd also recommend a Lodestar guider to go with it.
Thanks Rolf, I already have a Lodestar which works well. The latest model is even better I believe.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:00 AM
DaveNZ (Dave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
Have you thought about going to a QHY9?

I have recently gone through the same research process and in terms of value for money thought that the QHY9 was good value with the filter wheel option. However, I already have an off axis guider and Lodestar guide camera.

Good luck with your research and us know how you go!
John, Yes the QHY9 is in the mix too and probably the best value for the $$.
However I would rather go with the QSI if funds permit ;-)

Im running a 9mm OAG and loadstar. Im also trying a GPU Aplanatic Newtonian Coma Corrector 4-element to see if it's any better than my MPCC mrkIII
Old 04-01-2015, 01:28 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

+1 on the QSI wsg8 - great cooling well made and after the initial glitch, good backup as well from the factory.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:31 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

+1 for QHY9. Best value for money, better cooling.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:34 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Black sheep me says FLI microline 8300. Cools to -52°c ( I run it at -30°c in summer), fast downloads. Fantastic manufacturer support and warranty.

I have the OSC version, and it is better than the SBIG IMHO. Greg Bradley might still be selling his mono version?