Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-01-2018, 11:42 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Hi Tony

Hopefully some images will attach to this showing what the 127 triplet and ZWO290mc is capable of. Of course , as with planetary imaging, the seeing is most important to good results.
All the images were taken using an 2.5X Powermate as well and usually the best 500 frames of 2000 / 3000 frame avis' stacked in Registax.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20170414 04_23_41.jpg)
18.6 KB46 views
Click for full-size image (20170406  01_49_53.jpg)
35.2 KB44 views
Click for full-size image (Aristarchus.jpg)
84.4 KB43 views
Old 26-01-2018, 11:10 AM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Those are very nice and sharp. I really love the close up moon image. One day I'll do a side by side comparison with the ed127 and the c8.
Old 27-01-2018, 12:19 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Glad you liked them, it's not often is the seeing co-operative in my area and it is one thing that worries me for Mars season this year. Mid July is when we usually get the worst of the jet stream, so I may have to do a few expeditions further north to get better conditions and hopefully I may have an 250mm newt to use by then.
I'm sure your C8 should get you some decent images, though the dreaded central obstruction may reduce contrast, enjoy using the gear, that's the main objective.
Old 27-01-2018, 10:03 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
I'm sure your C8 should get you some decent images, though the dreaded central obstruction may reduce contrast, enjoy using the gear, that's the main objective.
Damian Peach doesn't seem to think the central obstruction is too dreadful
Old 27-01-2018, 10:43 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Yes , I'm aware of Damian Peach, Thierry Legault and lots of others that use SCTs' for lunar & planetary imaging and the excellent results they obtain. Aperture and seeing and attention to fine focusing are the main criteria, goes without saying I guess.
Old 27-01-2018, 10:49 AM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

On that note, is it worth getting a separate focuser for the imaging train? Like a rack and pinion?
Old 27-01-2018, 11:15 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Coming in late....
A x2.5 PM or a good x3 Barlow will get you into the optimum focal ratio with the C8 (rule of thumb - focal ratio= x5 pixel size.)
Old 27-01-2018, 11:17 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Re focuser
I’d recommend the JMI focuser motor.
The mirror slop on my C11 is minimal, and the JMI I use is controlled from my computer via the Shoestring adaptor. Works 100%
Old 27-01-2018, 11:50 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
On that note, is it worth getting a separate focuser for the imaging train? Like a rack and pinion?
Nah, I wouldn't bother, but motorising it like Ken suggested saves a lot of frustration when you're trying to nail it
Old 27-01-2018, 12:32 PM
edwardsdj (Doug)
Doug Edwards

Quote:
Correction, i ordered the 290mc. Also a club member was selling a c8 for $300 so i also grabbed that all ready for upcoming jupiter season
Awesome! I have obtained some very detailed images of Jupiter with the C8 in the past just using a cheap webcam. With the ASI290MM I'm sure you can get some amazing results!

Collimation of SCTs is absolutely crucial for planets (both imaging and visual). The difference between collimation being close and sensibly perfect is huge for planetary images. I used software to assist with collimation for the best images I was able to obtain.

Take care,
Doug
Old 27-01-2018, 12:38 PM
edwardsdj (Doug)
Doug Edwards

Quote:
I have had good results planetary imaging with the stock C8 focuser. It is a world of frustration though. Since upgrading to a Moonlite Crayford focuser for SCT I haven't looked back. Absolute joy to use.

I have no experience with the Moonlite on the C8 though as the flange I have only works with my C11 and C14.

I'd live with the stock focuser for a while and upgrade if focus is the thing frustrating you the most.

Take care,
Doug
Old 27-02-2018, 04:53 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Ive had a chance to use both scopea but had some difficulty with the c8. How do you guys go about framing planets in the fov with such a small sensor and long fl. It took me nearly an hour just to find the damned planet and focus it.
Old 27-02-2018, 05:17 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I use a flip mirror.
Identify the field, move the object to the centre (or better use a c'wire eyepiece), flip the mirror and the object should be central with the CCD chip.
Old 27-02-2018, 10:01 PM
edwardsdj (Doug)
Doug Edwards

Quote:
Ive had a chance to use both scopea but had some difficulty with the c8. How do you guys go about framing planets in the fov with such a small sensor and long fl. It took me nearly an hour just to find the damned planet and focus it.
I was able to get quite good at it using the stock finderscope. It was a matter of precisely aligning the finder after finding the planet the first time. Once you get a feel for where the focus position is and get the finder very accurate it gets much quicker to locate the planet again. As always, you can get accessories to reduce the frustration.
Old 28-02-2018, 08:19 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsdj View Post
I was able to get quite good at it using the stock finderscope. It was a matter of precisely aligning the finder after finding the planet the first time. Once you get a feel for where the focus position is and get the finder very accurate it gets much quicker to locate the planet again. As always, you can get accessories to reduce the frustration.
Pre-align them during the day if you have a good long distance target. I use a power pole on a ridge about 5 km away. Saves frustration on the night.
But the flip mirror is brilliant. I have one on the Lunt\ZWO 1600mm-c optical train and for centering and finding it's excellent. Fortunately the Lunt has plenty of focal range adjustment to cope with my experiments.