Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Star Hunter

DIY Dew heaters: What do I need?

Seeing how expensive Dew Heaters are, I want to make my own for 2" f/scopes and some camera lenses -80 to 120mm dia.

I'm not too electronic minded, but can get by with simple explanation. I will use a 12VDC mains supply.

Thanks,

JB
Old 27-07-2014, 12:02 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Have you had a look at these?

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-292-0-0-1-0.html
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-285-0-0-1-0.html

I'm no electronics wizz myself but I could manage these.

Al.
Old 27-07-2014, 02:09 PM
glend (Glen)

The problem with resistor type heater bands is that sooner or later your going to have a solder joint break in all of those connections. I tried building one and quickly realised that the production heater bands are actually pretty good value. The Dew-Not heaters are the ones I use now and the EP ones cost less than $30. Link here:

http://agenaastro.com/dew-not-dew-remover.html

Controllers are different, by the time you buy the components to build the one mentioned in the previous post you could have saved money and bought a good one from Arthur here on IIS who makes them for a very low price. He charged me $35 for a three channel controller that works great. He's not doing it to make money just to help people out. Send him a PM - Arthur Alchin.
Old 28-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Garbz (Chris)

The breaking solder joints is a problem with flexing. The correct choice of cable can minimise breaking of solder joints. Or you can solve it in an easier way; my dew heaters are permanently taped to the scopes.

They have a small 2" cable coming from them with a connector so if I don't need to use them, I don't attach the cable.

Also I disagree with the cost savings. My dew straps cost less than $5 ea to make including the connectors, and a really simple dew controller can be made for about $15 for 2 channels.

I say save the money for well machined accessories that are critical to this hobby.
Old 30-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

I got AA to make a 4-channel controller for me (Thanks Arthur).

I make my own straps using Goot Wicking for the wire, and I grabbed 1000 resistors off of eBay for almost nothing.

Then I got some heat shrink tube, Thickish (3-4mm) speaker cable and some RCA jacks from Jaycar and for a couple of bucks, I have dew controllers that work really well.

I also use the dew controller to power my light box, when I take that out with me.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Lurkingpom (Mick)

Not lurking on here often enough - you know how it is

We made our dew bands using Sheeny's instructions years ago - thanks Sheeny. We then converted the resistors to nichrome wire from ebay using 2" hook&loop to form the bands.......... anyway a useful guide is also provided by the Blackwater Skies blog, I am not connected with the blog just impressed.
Old 15-08-2014, 05:21 PM
geolindon (Lindon)

Controllers are different, by the time you buy the components to build the one mentioned in the previous post you could have saved money and bought a good one from Arthur here on IIS who makes them for a very low price. He charged me $35 for a three channel controller that works great. He's not doing it to make money just to help people out. Send him a PM - Arthur Alchin.[/QUOTE]

hear hear!! Thanks Arthur for my 3 channel controller, very professionally done too . . looks juz like a bought one
Old 15-08-2014, 07:48 PM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astro...iy-dew-heater/