Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:44 AM
glend (Glen)

Dob Trumps Refractor

I spent a couple of days up at Bretti Reserve this week and left the dob at home this time to give my Bresser AR102L, f9.8, 1000mm fl refractor a good go at a dark site. This refractor is identical to the Explore Scientific model with the same AR102 designation, but sold mainly in europe through Bresser (Meade EU). The scope sits on a Vixen Porta II Alt/Az mount with JMI Train-n-Track motors.

Useful magnification is around 200x given the usual refractor edict of 2 times the aperture in mm.

The two Allan's were up at Bretti as well so I had some large dob perspective on the views for comparison.

I was mainly aiming to give the planets a real go: Jupiter early on and then Mars and Saturn later in the night. The views are great for contrast and lack of coma, and of course no need for collimation at all. So in many ways more pleasing a device to use. But as with all but the longest Acrhos there is some CA to deal with, but this was ably handled by a Baader Semi-APO filter, and being a long focal length scope it was not very noticable anyway.

While I could get good views of the three planet targets I was really pushing that refractor. The relative size of the object in the EP just did not compare to that of the dobs, and Maritan detail in particular required at least 182x with the trusty 1mm Nagler. Barlowing just made the image quality worse.

Last night back at home, I got out my 16" GSO Dob and did the same comparsion again. The big dob killed the refractor on every level. It is perfectly collimated, and edge coma is never an issue with planets anyway. The sheer size of the panet in the EP and the brightness could never happen with the refractor because of the small aperture. Object detail was outstanding with the dob, picking up things the refractor could not see. Contrast was on par with the refractor on planets but for pin point stars it is hard to beat a refractor - but there is the rub: not enough aperture to make it really useful for DSO work. The reactor can resolve bright double stars (or triples like Beta Moncer..) well but it has no real reach. Even for widefield star work on clusters and Eta Carinae, the refractor can't provide the expanse of view that the dob has.

Of course it's not a fair comparison I suppose, 102mm verses 406mm gives you heaps more light to work with, and the refractor did well to stay in the ballpark with the dob albeit with a much smaller image to work with at its useful magnification limits.

Not sure where this leaves me with the refractor, it's a great grab and go setup but it leaves me wanting more aperture. I am building a 127mm refractor at the moment but I suspect it will still fall well short of the dob in pure breathtaking observation.

So why do people buy refractors (maybe they live in small apartments), or do mostly guided astrophotography on expensive mounts. But for stunning visual vistas, it's the dob hands down.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:55 AM
jenchris (Jennifer)

I don't mind a newt, but I like goto - (I know you can get Dob gotos).
It's always horse for courses - I'm off to UK in a fortnight for 6 months - I'm taking the 102 skywatcher with me - since the 8" SCT on an EQ6 is not going to pack too easily (!!!) especially considering the tripod and counter weights...
Old 02-04-2014, 03:42 PM
glend (Glen)

I almost did buy the Vixen NA 140SS but decided to go with a DIY build using the iStar 127mm f12 R30 objective.

I was not rubbishing refractors, rather praising good dobs. 'I come not to bury Ceasar but to praise him'.

Refractors continue to be the most expensive scope per inch of aperture, and exotic glass formulations designed to improve performance do not help change that equation.

I grant you that if I was comparing a 102mm refractor and a 102mm dob the refractor would win hands down but if you compare equivalent visual value propositions the dob will always win. A 16" dob cost less than a good 4" APO refractor, and the dob comes with a usable mount.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:09 PM
Profiler (Profiler)

Have to also keep in mind there are refractors and then there are "refractors"

I think the quality differences in terms of glass, design and craft in construction really come to fore when you start pumping up the magnification on targets such as planets etc
Old 02-04-2014, 06:01 PM
sn1987a (Barry)

True,true.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:58 PM
Profiler (Profiler)

I agree with all of this.

I am not trying to defend refractors but if I have one gripe about this age old question which keeps on coming up is that whenever arguements about how reflector X beats refractor Y the advocates of such arguments always seem to be comparing modest refractors and don't actually have any or much experience with "refractors" at the top end.

For example, I haven't yet come across someone who says "I used an AP Starfire for 5 years but then I sold it in a heart beat because I got fantastic/better views etc etc from a 10' Dob/Newt"
Old 02-04-2014, 07:03 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profiler View Post
Have to also keep in mind there are refractors and then there are "refractors

I think the quality differences in terms of glass, design and craft in construction really come to fore when you start pumping up the magnification on targets such as planets etc
Their respective cost should provide a valid frame of reference.

Lately on IIS threads about beginner scopes tend to descend into boutique gear boasting, along the lines of "my $15k ortho APO on its $5k+ mount shows much nicer stars and almost as much deep space as your 8" Dob. That is about as valid as saying "my giant $20k SDM smokes your SkyWatcher 80mm achro"...

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:10 PM
David Niven (David Niven)

Refractors owners may not like or admit it but IMHO, the aperture per Dollar is the starting point to compare value. Then you can talk about contrast and sharpness and CA or lack of it.
A piece of glass, no matter how well made or what exotic material it is sculptured from, cannot create photon and without sufficient photon, you are absolutely in the dark.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:10 PM
PlanetMan

Problem is cost is not being cited as determinative variable - simply that folks with AP refractors don't bother with reflectors - everyone knows mirrors are cheaper than refractor glass
Old 02-04-2014, 10:13 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetMan View Post
simply that folks with AP refractors don't bother with reflectors
That is my impression, too. For what reasons, I don't know, but I suspect they're not all entirely rational. If you have $20k to drop on a visual rig, why would you choose a 6" instead of a 24" scope? You don't hear people say they chose a TOA150/EM200 over an SDM because of space constraints, but because the Tak is presumably "the best"

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:04 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Mmm 16 inch dob beats 4 inch refractor. Who would have thought? My 16 inch dob also slays all my refractors and smaller reflectors except.... when the object is really big or really bright.

I remember the disappointment at seeing the Helix nebula through the 16". I had a hard time finding it. The light was just too spread out to see properly. It looked better in binoculars! Of course, the Sun and Moon are more convenient in a small refractor as are comets.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:53 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post

...but there is the rub: not enough aperture to make it really useful for DSO work. The reactor can resolve bright double stars (or triples like Beta Moncer..) well but it has no real reach. Even for widefield star work on clusters and Eta Carinae, the refractor can't provide the expanse of view that the dob has.
Doesn't that depend on the size of the DSO and the exact nature of the "work"? I've looked at M31 through 10 and 12 inch dobs versus a small fast 'frac and was somewhat underwhelmed by the "improvement". More detail? Yes. Different? Yes. Better? No. Each has its merits. Every DSO has a context. And some DSOs are just too big for big dobs. To me the key components are exit pupil and FOV. They are the end result the optical train provides and all that matters. Aperture is just a means to that end and only needed if you want high power. Power is a matter of taste. I do want to be able to view at high and low powers, do so efficiently and enjoy the advantages each has to offer. The FOV a dob provides at 15x is not good enough - that's if you can find an eyepiece for this in the first place. A big dob is as useless for low power as a small frac is for high power, IMHO. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

The statement you make re the "expanse of view" that a refractor can't provide as opposed to the dob - Is that really the case when a fast refractor is used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
So why do people buy refractors (maybe they live in small apartments), or do mostly guided astrophotography on expensive mounts. But for stunning visual vistas, it's the dob hands down.
I have bought a small refractor:

- because I do not do AP and want stunning visual vistas. For that, a wide FOV is key. Even with my 1.25" back, I can take in over 4 degrees of sky.

- because I do not want an expensive mount. It sits on a photo tripod.

- because I want viewing comfort. I observe best standing up, feet on the ground, line of sight horizontal. The refractor setup provides exactly that, no matter where it's pointed. Viewing comfort means more detail seen at lower powers.

- because I want ultimate speed & portability. The fastest I have set up my visual rig ready for pointing was 33 seconds, out of the boot of my small car (Loading the gear into the boot at home: 10 seconds). Cool down time: Nil. Try to beat that with a 16" dob.

- because I want flexibility. Spotting Syrtis Major from the lounge room? Possible. Observing Jupiter while cooking dinner? Piece of cake. Counting feathers on that Rosella in the garden? Easy.

- because I chase eclipses (some). The Sun doesn't care about aperture unless you want the finest of details. Plenty of light for everyone. The Sun in Total Eclipse through a low power scope - I won't even try to describe it. Outside of the moon's shadow: White light and H-alpha, both excellent.

- because I want to observe planets during the day. What's the current phase of Venus look like? 33 seconds - you get the idea. Try moving a light bucket along with the moving shadow of a building to stay safe when the target is close to the Sun.

- because of the Moon. It's there on most nights. No other object shows that much detail. Again, plenty of light.

- because the best scope is the one used most often.

And finally, I have bought a small refractor because I can always use a dob for the higher magnifications. The 10" has recently arrived and is waiting to be put to work
Old 03-04-2014, 01:19 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1 View Post
- because the best scope is the one used most often.
+1
Old 03-04-2014, 02:24 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

I'm afraid I'm a refractor man through and through. Only high quality ones, though.
The views that knocked my socks off in over 30 years in this hobby have always been through a high end APO, like an Astro-Physics, Tak, or Televue.
I have never looked through any Newtonian that I subsequently wanted to own-apologies to the dob owners, but that's how I feel!
Old 03-04-2014, 02:47 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

Nicest scope I ever looked through was a 20" homemade dob.
I nearly fell into space..through the eyepiece.
Blown away is a phrase that spings easily to mind.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:26 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Different telescopes for different uses. I suspect you would have a hard time splitting the tiny companion star from Antares with the big dob.

Who is to say that that particular view is a lesser view than seeing a tiny smudge of a galaxy in the big dob, which would have been invisible in the refractor?

And it is extremely nice seeing pin point star images in big clusters with the refractor.

That said, I only ever took my 4" f/9 APO to a dark sky site once, felt like you did, and it bacame a backyard telescope.
Regards,
Renato
Old 03-04-2014, 08:44 PM
clive milne

Quote:
I haven't yet come across someone who says "I used an AP Starfire for 5 years but then I sold it in a heart beat because I got fantastic/better views etc etc from a 10' Dob/Newt"
Well... now you can say that you have come across someone who used to own a 7" AP Starfire (one of the originals with the NASA glass) and without prejudice I sold it because my home made 12" dob was significantly better in every respect bar 1. The view through the refractor was slightly less contaminated with light scatter. This advantage was only relevant 0.5% of the time (trying to resolve Antares)

In my experience however, absolutely nothing comes within a bulls roar of a well built binocular Newtonian for impact and image fidelity... the 7" AP wasn't even on the same page, it was not even close to being included as an honourable mention in the foot notes.

2c
Old 03-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Satchmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renato1 View Post
I suspect you would have a hard time splitting the tiny companion star from Antares with the big dob.
Hmm ..as the owner of three refractors and two reflectors I would have to say in my experience this is not true unless you frequent Newts with poorly cooled , poorly collimated optics of dubious quality . I'm afraid my Newts trounce the refractors on every task I can offer and I would expect them too .

If I want to see perfect mathematic stars on any night I can put a small aperture stop on the Newts to cripple their ability to resolve the atmospheric turbulence ( and any other target for that matter ) and I can drop the magnification down to mimic that in the smaller refractor. Win - pinpoint stars . It is a `myth ' that a smaller aperture scope will show _more_ than a lerger one at any time ...all the detail will be there at least as much as the smaller aperture and maybe not as clean but it will be there.

You can't beat the portability , freedom from collimation responsubility and dust seal of a smaller refractor but that comes at a big cost considering you can buy a good 8" dob for $399 which will probably be superior for most tasks .

I don't feel threatened in these discussions because I own them all but I don't like to see Newts maligned as they are so effective at such a lower cost .
I dont like to see refractor owners over aggrandizing the capability of their instruments. Refractors work so well for some people but please don't peddle nonsense about Newtonians .
Old 03-04-2014, 09:36 PM
Satchmo

Quote:
For example, I haven't yet come across someone who says "I used an AP Starfire for 5 years but then I sold it in a heart beat because I got fantastic/better views etc etc from a 10' Dob/Newt"
Its funny you should say that - but I have related on this forum before of the night at ASNSW 's Wiruna property when Clives 7" Starfire stood unused with a crowd of people viewing Jupiter through an older stock 10" F6 Dob circa 1980's that stood next to it . There were a load more features visible as there was now colour differentiation between festoons in the bands. The planet disc in the 7" was sharp but all the bands were gray in fact all the detail was fairly black and white compared to the Newt. It was just plainly a more satifying view in the 10"

That 7" Starfire was a masterpiece but so long as the optics are good quality aperture simply rules - no free lunches there...
Old 03-04-2014, 10:38 PM
Varangian (John)

One of the greatest joys of owning a reflector is collimating it. I just feel a great sense of grounding when my mirrors come together in perfect harmony = beautiful experience.