Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 24-05-2019, 02:52 PM
gary

NASA unveils schedule for Artemis moon missions

Artemis 1 will be an uncrewed mission around the Moon planned for 2020.

Artemis 2 will orbit the Moon with a crew around 2022.

Artemis 3 that will put astronauts on lunar soil in 2024, including the first woman.

Story here :-
https://phys.org/news/2019-05-nasa-u...n-mission.html
Old 24-05-2019, 04:25 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

How exciting! I remember watching the first Lunar landing and now I'm going to see another one well before I kick the bucket.
Old 24-05-2019, 07:47 PM
DarkArts

That will be great to see. I was alive for the first moon landing, but too young to remember it.
Old 26-05-2019, 07:44 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Sounds great and I don't want to sound unexcited, but, the way NASA does things these days and at those claimed time lines...meah...I will believe it when I see it ... 🤔 ..maybe if they got 4% of GDP in funding again..

Hope I am wrong

Mike
Old 26-05-2019, 08:24 PM
Startrek (Martin)

The Cold War triggered the US government into leading the space race and ultimately putting Americans on the moon within a decade

Unfortunately the country is grossly in debt and doesn’t have the money or resources to return humans to the moon in 4 years, even relying on private industry partners

Congress ultimately will decide

My 2 cents.....

Oh and I watched all the moon landings on my parents PYE black and white TV ( more like a piece of timber furniture than a TV , it had photo frames , ash trays you name it sitting on top )
Old 28-05-2019, 08:40 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

If they go to the Moon again, hopefully the quality of the TV broadcast will be much better this time. I was a Moon freak, but even I quickly found the broadcast to be boring.

Also, while I am on a roll, I hope they pick a crew, or at least one in the crew, who can speak enthusiastically about their mission and their time on the Moon.
Old 28-12-2020, 04:40 PM
cannon_gray (Cannon Gray)

NASA has already picked up 18 astronauts for the Artemis mission and they are planning to use Lockheed Martin's reusable Orion spacecraft, which is one and a half times bigger than Apollo and which is launched using a super-heavy launch vehicle called the Space Launch System (SLS).
Old 28-12-2020, 06:37 PM
glend (Glen)

If they are going to be sending mission 1 around the Moon in 2020 they better get a move on. SpaceX may have already have conducted their tourist flight of the Starship around the Moon by 2022, and have cargo ships on the way to Mars. I am very sceptical of Artemis ever flying, because at a cost of $35 billion, it is not cost effective.
Old 28-12-2020, 06:53 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Artemis has many funding obstacles like congress budget cuts etc.. which will ultimately delay it’s Lunar program
Space X has nothing stopping it , I would put my money on Starship landing on the moon within 4 years than Artemis under the current US economic climate