Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 17-05-2019, 09:31 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Have you ever been really scared.

I recall being really scared fearing for my life but I wont bore you with the details...but perhaps if you are game to share...when havecyou really been up against it and in total fear..

Alex
Old 17-05-2019, 09:54 PM
sharpiel

Fortunately I've not experienced that. A priveledge I treasure when I see the horrible situations of so many others in the world. Even the humans.
Old 17-05-2019, 10:08 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thats not good enough. I am looking for horror and fear that makes the reader drip in persperation.
Alex
Old 17-05-2019, 10:11 PM
sharpiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Thats not good enough. I am looking for horror and fear that makes the reader drip in persperation.
Alex
Ahhh...gotcha. I divorced her.
Old 17-05-2019, 10:15 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Ok ...imagine you are on a beach and you are convinced there is someone in the bush behind you plotting to attack you and rape your lady and you have to arm youself and go into the dark to face off. That sort of thing.
Imaginary but heck so scarey when you are creeping thru the bush ready to kill someone in hand to hand combat.
Life and death stuff is what I am looking for.
Alex
Old 17-05-2019, 10:24 PM
DarkArts

Couldn't you just pick up a good book?
Old 17-05-2019, 10:32 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Yes a good book...have you experienced that sort of drama...your reaction and management of an insane situation that haunts you forever after like my beach ordeal.
Just wondering is all.
Alex
Old 18-05-2019, 06:19 AM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Fear is such a primitive emotion.

My only vivid experience was my first major anxiety attack on the way to my high pressure accounting job in the city. I really did think I was going to die then, and the look on my doctor's face said as much. Then months of the same fear reactions every time I went to step out of the house. Laying in bed at 2am with a heart rate of 150bpm. That's fear!

Thank goodness I survived and never faced those same pressures or horrid people ever again. Country life is far more peaceful.
Old 18-05-2019, 06:53 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Alone, I was threatened and had a shotgun pointed at me one dark night by an angry farmer who thought I was there to steal his crop. That was intense!
Old 18-05-2019, 07:23 AM
Stefan Buda

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Yes a good book...have you experienced that sort of drama...your reaction and management of an insane situation that haunts you forever after like my beach ordeal.
Just wondering is all.
Alex
I crossed the Iron Curtain back in 1982, but that involved a type of fear Westerners never had to experience and may not even recognize.
Old 18-05-2019, 07:24 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Spook Hill - Mt.Cotton, Brisbane

A true story about Spook Hill worth telling...

When I was 19 my mates and I had heard about this place at Mt. Cotton, south of Brisbane. Today Tonight did a story about Mt. View Rd, which apparently was a gravity anomaly because it was a hill that you could roll ... Up!

So we checked it out, a gravel road in the middle of nowhere but I'll be darned as the gentle slope was there alright, but when we let off the handbrake the car rolled UP the hill. Soon followed by tennis balls, drink cans and any other round object we could lay hands on to test it.

At the end if the road was a big iron cattle gate, and a paved road leading up to the top of what was locally known as Spook Hill. Urban legend had reports of witches covens, midnight masses and such, so we four decided to return at night, and as next weekend was Friday 13th we decided to go at midnight to check it out.

... Aaaah the impetuousness of youth!

So we arrive, it's bloody dark except for what looked like a small fire or glow in the distance at the top if the hill. We do a few more uphill roll-ups with the handbrake off again and then summon up the courage to get out of the car and walk up the hill.

It's a warm evening but as we got within a metre if the big gate the temperature dropped about 30 degrees like we had stepped into a freezer.
Unnerved, we continued, climbed the gate and bravely set forth up the road together. (One of us stayed behind to watch the car).

We only went about 200 metres when I looked up the hill and saw the red glow slowly rise up and start drifting towards us. As I watched, now transfixed and frozen in place, it appeared to concentrate and become smaller and more dense. Then it separated into two halves and rapidly descended towards us, getting smaller and smaller and materializing into focus, until there were two burning red eyes about 5 metres away from us and that's when panic set in!

I/we bolted down the road, vaulted the gate in a single bound and ran for the car, yelling to our mate to just DRIVE, DRIVE, DRIVE!!!!

... I'm sure the unofficial land speed record was broken then, bet we eventually reached home safely and swapped stories about exactly what the HECK had we just seen/experienced. Our stories matched up, and whatever it was we saw was very clearly telling us to GO AWAY and it was only years later that I was brave enough to return, in daylight.

Now it's a surburban street, homes everywhere and perfectly ordinary. The road was graded level and sealed, and another mystery remains unsolved.

... And I can assure you- it happened!

Cheers
Andy
Old 18-05-2019, 02:36 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I am starting to make a list☺.
One time sailing when I got into the channel coming in I had rocks close to star board and then waves started breaking to port.
I was munching on a bread roll and fear overtook me such that my mouth went instantly dry and I had to spit the food out or I would have chocked.
I avoided capsize but had to anchor immediately after as I could hardley stand it affected me so greatly.
Alex
Old 18-05-2019, 04:11 PM
leon

Have to say Alex I have never really been there, maybe a little cautious about a situation but not as you describe it, and we have been traveling for about 8 years now and have been in some very isolated places in the out back.

Leon
Old 18-05-2019, 04:58 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

Returning in my tractor on a spray run middle of the night KMS from anyone or any light source I crest a small rise and see a few hundred metres away lights 8metres in the air and fog swirling around everywhere , like I work here every day and theres no one anywhere nearbye for maybe 3 or 4 kms .
Then it gets better out of the fog walks a creature in a space suite with a weapon in his hand , thankfully the fog moved a little and i could see a bee mans truck boom extended up into the air (lights) and the last few hives on the truck,, no one bothered to tell me ,, I was seriously trying to be rationale
about this and process to a logical explanation and just couldn't right up till the last bit .

I was going to run
Old 18-05-2019, 05:10 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I forgot my wedding anniversary once.
Old 18-05-2019, 05:27 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I forgot my wedding anniversary once.
Marc, you should post a warning before describing a story like that !!

Old 18-05-2019, 05:55 PM
easternSea (Matthew)

When I was 17 I got caught in a rip that took me waayy out. A fishing boat grabbed me eventually.

I remember floating on my back in and past the swell thinking I was a goner which would make me panic and try to swim back but I'd run out of energy really quickly and have to float again. I tried doing maths in my head to stop the yammering panic, but it didn't really work.

The cycle of floating, panic, running out of energy and floating again made me cry after a while. That worked - crying kills panic. But yeah, two guys in a center console grabbed me apparently and took me back in.

I don't really remember much about it other than the panic, sadness and utter deadness in my limbs. Funnily enough, I recently found out I even remembered the location wrong when talking to my sister. I always thought it was Caloundra, but it was Bribie.
Old 18-05-2019, 06:25 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
Marc, you should post a warning before describing a story like that !!

The story, all names, characters, and incidents portrayed in this post are fictitious. No identification with actual persons (living or deceased), places, buildings, and products is intended or should be inferred. No person or entity associated with this post received payment or anything of value, or entered into any agreement, in connection with the depiction of cassoulet products. No frogs were harmed in the making of this post.
Old 18-05-2019, 07:27 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Imagine it...it's a bright, sunny Canberra Day. The birds are chirping and the single Canberra girls are wearing mini skirts and take-me-home-boots...

Suddenly there comes a chugging sound like a demented steam engine. All eyes turn to see what foment this weird noise brings. The once musical birds have all flown frantically away. I stand and stare. Is it one of those "Skyhorn" phenomenon reported of late. The reverberations were gut-wrenchingly piercing. Was it the US doing their psy-ops on Canberra again?

A small green object comes into sight, seemingly defying the laws of locomotion. There appears to be 2 occupants in the odd green vehicle - one mesmerisingly attractive, chique and demure. The other a stark contrast - gnarled, grotesque and completely gauloise.

"Что за хрень этот ужас" I hear myself muttering (don't translate it), trembling in abject fear and loathing.

The primary occupant in control of the vehicle steps out...obviously sent as an emissary to mesmerise, stun and placate the local inhabitants. The sense of impending doom wanes a little, and I feel a smile creeping upon my face. This, alas, was not to last. A diversionary tactic.

"Bonjour Lewis, ou est mon CN212?" muttered the male occupant.

At this point, I lost consciousness, and I swear when I awoke that my haemorrhoids were gone.

And that is a true story.
Old 18-05-2019, 09:45 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Large Heavy Motor Cycle, faulty steering ball joint, meets corner. Refuses to turn in. 5hit in britches. Bike in the scrub. No one hurt. But one scary corner. No trees thank god.