Old 12-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

spacers and adapters - how many is too many

i am working out how i connect my telescope up to my camera and the amount of adapters and spacers are scary. i have worked out 2 solutions to get the spacing right and all the pieces in my imaging train connected

option 1)
OTA- optec DSI 3.5 1" spacer - ditto 3" spacer - optec Gemini - AP 2.7" adapter - AP 2.7" spacer (1.5") - MMOAG 2.7" thread - MMOAG - 2" adapter - CFW - camera

option 2)
OTA- optec DSI 3.5 1" spacer - ditto 3" spacer - optec Gemini - precise parts 1.48" adapter - MMOAG - 2" adapter - CFW - camera
option 1 has a total of 10 connections and option 2 has 8. Basically the precise part replaces the following

AP 2.7" adapter - AP 2.7" spacer (1.5") - MMOAG 2.7" thread

but option 2 will end up costing me about $300 more.

Any thoughts on minimising connections in the image train to remove flexure issues? is the $300 a good investment?
Old 12-01-2016, 03:21 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

whatever works Aidan; less is more, but if something goes wrong in spacing its good to have options to work around it.

i have gone crazy a many a time trying to sort out spacers. I even ordered the 'correct spacers' only to find one of them had a short internal collar which prevented the complete attachment of another part, blowing the whole thing out of whack!
Old 12-01-2016, 03:29 PM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

yeah that is also a worry, because i only have 1.26 cm of focuser travel so any issues will mean that it wont reach focus. the 2.7" spacers do allow a lot more flexibility in this regard. but surely every connection you add just makes the issue of flexure worse.