Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 19-05-2019, 08:37 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

Nothing is as scary as waiting outside surgery for someone.
Old 19-05-2019, 09:38 AM
Imme (Jon)

Five years ago, a smallish coastal town in Vietnam called Mui Ne.
Walking back from dinner a little drunk I took a shortcut which I thought would lead me to the place I was staying.
Street lights got fewer and further between with not a soul in sight, more or less a turned into a light industrial area, then about 500m in it turned into a dead end.
We turned around and started walking out. Vietnamese guy stepped out of the shadows with a rather large gun in his hands (looked like an AK47 or something similar). He said something I didn’t understand then called another guy out (with gun in hand). He was quickly followed by a Russian guy who spoke with a heavy accent. Asked what we were doing there, answered with a drunken “we’re lost”. Russian guy then spoke to Vietnamese guys who basically pushed us into their compound using the barrels of their guns.

Oh sh!t.......pretty scared right about now I tell ya!!!

Told to sit in corner and the first Vietnamese guy watched us while the other two disappeared. Russian guy came back, said something to Vietnamese guy then turned to us and said “he take you now, you didn’t come here”.
Vietnamese guy put down his gun, smiled at us and motioned us out of the compound gate and into car then dropped us at the room we had.

I’ve got no idea what they were up to and to be honest I think I’m lucky I didn’t know or the outcome may not have been as good!

......that was the scariest moment of my life!
Old 19-05-2019, 09:51 AM
speach (Simon)

yes I have, in a boat going over a bar the boat capsizes both of us thrown out, of course, in the breaking waves of the bar for around 30 min then the tide takes us out of the breakers and we are drifting out to sea. Started to think 'this it then' after about two hours we hear the thump thump of a chopper and we pulled out. Few days in hospital broken ribs hyperthermia cuts and bruises, still won't go out in a boat in rough weather!
Old 19-05-2019, 10:43 AM
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imme View Post
Five years ago, a smallish coastal town in Vietnam called Mui Ne.
Street lights got fewer and further between with not a soul in sight, more or less a turned into a light industrial area, then about 500m in it turned into a dead end.
I’ve got no idea what they were up to and to be honest I think I’m lucky I didn’t know or the outcome may not have been as good!
Hi Imme,

Sounds like you may have stumbled into the locality of a drug factory
or near a place where they were storing them before or after they were
transported over water.
Old 19-05-2019, 11:51 AM
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I was munching on a bread roll and fear overtook me such that my mouth went instantly dry and I had to spit the food out or I would have chocked.
Hi Alex,

The dry mouth symptom is part of the fight or flight response.

Apparently it starts in the amygdala in the brain.

Some less important parts of the body shut down, such as the digestive tract.

As a whole, blood pressure goes up.

Coronary arteries dilate, more circulation goes to the brain and muscles
but at the expense of constriction of the blood vessels in salivary
glands and in some other areas.

Hence the dry mouth symptom.

In 2011, researchers at the University of London did a study
where they scanned 90 students brains with MRI.

They found that students who identified themselves as "conservatives"
tended to have larger amygdalas than those who identified themselves
as "liberals". So much so that in the sample of students in the study they
were able to predict that with an accuracy of 71.6% ± 4.8%.

Researchers then wondered whether a fear or disgust response would
kick-in more readily for those with larger amygdalas and there have been
some studies where they flash up various images such as teddy bears
and open wounds to subjects in MRI machines and it appears as if there
is a correlation.

Is it the more liberal you are, the more threatening the situation
needs to be before you start to feel a symptom such as a dry mouth?

Sounds like the dire situation you were in in the boat would get anyone's full attention.

The 2011 University of London paper :-
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3092984/
Old 19-05-2019, 12:07 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
A true story about Spook Hill worth telling...

When I was 19 my mates and I had heard about this place at Mt. Cotton, south of Brisbane. Today Tonight did a story about Mt. View Rd, which apparently was a gravity anomaly because it was a hill that you could roll ... Up!

So we checked it out, a gravel road in the middle of nowhere but I'll be darned as the gentle slope was there alright, but when we let off the handbrake the car rolled UP the hill. Soon followed by tennis balls, drink cans and any other round object we could lay hands on to test it.

At the end if the road was a big iron cattle gate, and a paved road leading up to the top of what was locally known as Spook Hill. Urban legend had reports of witches covens, midnight masses and such, so we four decided to return at night, and as next weekend was Friday 13th we decided to go at midnight to check it out.

... Aaaah the impetuousness of youth!

So we arrive, it's bloody dark except for what looked like a small fire or glow in the distance at the top if the hill. We do a few more uphill roll-ups with the handbrake off again and then summon up the courage to get out of the car and walk up the hill.

It's a warm evening but as we got within a metre if the big gate the temperature dropped about 30 degrees like we had stepped into a freezer.
Unnerved, we continued, climbed the gate and bravely set forth up the road together. (One of us stayed behind to watch the car).

We only went about 200 metres when I looked up the hill and saw the red glow slowly rise up and start drifting towards us. As I watched, now transfixed and frozen in place, it appeared to concentrate and become smaller and more dense. Then it separated into two halves and rapidly descended towards us, getting smaller and smaller and materializing into focus, until there were two burning red eyes about 5 metres away from us and that's when panic set in!

I/we bolted down the road, vaulted the gate in a single bound and ran for the car, yelling to our mate to just DRIVE, DRIVE, DRIVE!!!!

... I'm sure the unofficial land speed record was broken then, bet we eventually reached home safely and swapped stories about exactly what the HECK had we just seen/experienced. Our stories matched up, and whatever it was we saw was very clearly telling us to GO AWAY and it was only years later that I was brave enough to return, in daylight.

Now it's a surburban street, homes everywhere and perfectly ordinary. The road was graded level and sealed, and another mystery remains unsolved.

... And I can assure you- it happened!

Cheers
Andy
I live nearby and tried to find this spot a few years ago with my wife - sadly no evidence of wacky gravity or supernatural red eyes...
Old 19-05-2019, 01:14 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
Nothing is as scary as waiting outside surgery for someone.
Good point - I’ve gone into a medical facility not knowing if I’d emerge blind and partially paralysed, I’ve sweated out CT scans to see if I had lung cancer, and I’ve had more than a few near-death experiences on the racetrack and road. But absolutely nothing comes close to the genuine fear and helplessness of hearing your 7 year old daughter having a psychotic reaction on waking from a general anaesthetic from behind closed doors.
Old 19-05-2019, 08:34 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Yep. Surfing accidents, near drownings, head injuries, bike accidents, going on a stage, lost in caves, nothing so scary as having a kid in time critical surgery. We are lucky to live in a time and country where a CT and a surgeon is just a public hospital away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alocky View Post
Good point - I’ve gone into a medical facility not knowing if I’d emerge blind and partially paralysed, I’ve sweated out CT scans to see if I had lung cancer, and I’ve had more than a few near-death experiences on the racetrack and road. But absolutely nothing comes close to the genuine fear and helplessness of hearing your 7 year old daughter having a psychotic reaction on waking from a general anaesthetic from behind closed doors.
Old 20-05-2019, 09:59 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

My episode on the beach was curious because we were convinced there were folk stalking us in the bush.

It was pure imagination and yet that produced a fear that I have never experienced before or since.

We imagined hearing a walkie talkies either side and voices..you know that static when they switch on and off..like we were surrounded... but the next day we were able to detrmine it was wave noises reflecting out of a small cave...and this fear built over hours...the coast gaurd came by just on dusk and yelled a warning from their boat which we could not hear properly but it sounded like he was saying they were having trouble with groups causing problems for campers...that started it I guess...maybe he was just telling us we could not be there☺ but at that stage we could not leave cause the tide had come in and the waves had built up such that we could not get out to the boat...so hours of extrodinary fear thinking we were in a "deliverance" type situation. In the end I could not stand it and determined to find whoever and set off creeping up on "their position" armed with a machete...that was rather intense because by that stage I figured it would be a battle...never thought it could have been inoccent folk..and thank goodness I did not find anyone as I probably would have attacked.
And the irony is the most intense fear I have ever experienced was a product of imagination.

Alex
Old 20-05-2019, 10:38 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

I was driving the car back in the 80's in an intense thunderstorm when lightning struck 5 metres ahead of me. the blinding flash, the intense heat and the way the car rocked back and forth from the thunderous boom that was all so instantaneous was enough for me to then shake from the adrenaline rush knowing that was so close. The poor ******* in the bus stop beside mewould have had to change his underpants I reckon