Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 06-05-2019, 02:34 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

[QUOTE=gregbradley;1426888]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
The focuser on mine is a tad stiff but they may be a good thing so no chance of flexure.
Could be the focus tension ring doing that. the small ring forward of the focusing ring adjusts the tension (how stiff it feels), its an odd setup, the tensioner doesnt seem to have endstops in the design, instead inside there is some eliptical shape that you can turn forever and because its not perfectly round it varies between slightly touching the focuser mechanism to more heavily like a brake really than a proper "locking" mechanism. or mine is broken
Old 09-05-2019, 07:24 AM
gregbradley

[QUOTE=sil;1427477]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post

Could be the focus tension ring doing that. the small ring forward of the focusing ring adjusts the tension (how stiff it feels), its an odd setup, the tensioner doesnt seem to have endstops in the design, instead inside there is some eliptical shape that you can turn forever and because its not perfectly round it varies between slightly touching the focuser mechanism to more heavily like a brake really than a proper "locking" mechanism. or mine is broken
Thanks for that but no its not that.
I think it will get better over time and I would prefer it slightly stiff to move than too loose and losing focusing or shifting alignment.

It will shift focus with temp shifts but not that much. One refocus after a few hours seems to be enough.

Greg.
Old 15-05-2019, 09:13 PM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

[QUOTE=gregbradley;1427929]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post

Thanks for that but no its not that.
I think it will get better over time and I would prefer it slightly stiff to move than too loose and losing focusing or shifting alignment.

It will shift focus with temp shifts but not that much. One refocus after a few hours seems to be enough.

Greg.
Hi Greg,
DeepSkyDad have released the motor focus unit for the Redcat:
https://deepskydad.com/autofocuser2/redcat
If you read down the page, he comments on the stiffness of the helical focuser in first 5 mm and recommends not using that section, if possible. He also diagnoses some internal play with the focuser, which is not ideal, but he thinks it can be compensated for by SGPro etc.