Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2019, 01:46 PM
rrussell1962

How else would I check my collimation? On a more serious note, for nearly 50 years now it has been my "Me time" quiet reflection, hours passing in the blink of an eye. Maybe that is why I have never been attracted to imaging - it seems like hard work, I realise I am in a minority but looking up is what I do to get away from it all not find more things to do. Mea Culpa.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:20 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparksinspace View Post
As the title says, What possesses you to look to the sky?
For me, it's seeing something that looks interesting, and wanting to see it more clearly, and then finding something unexpected when I do look at my intended target.

This evening was a classic example. Seeing the pattern of stars formed by Theta Centauri, Eta Centauri, Alpha Lupi, Zeta Centauri, and Epsilon Centauri.
While all but Theta Centauri were blocked from view in my telescope, by the trees next door, Theta Centauri would yield it's own surprise to make viewing it interesting in its own right. When centered in my 6.5mm eyepiece, I noticed three feint stars around the edges of my eyepiece, HD 123071, HIP 68824, and HD 123002.

It's seeing unexpected stuff like that, which keeps me setting up the scope and looking at the skies.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:13 PM
jwoody (Jeremy)

Tonight in particular? My wife is watching a Jennifer Lopez movie..........