Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Cosmic (Daniel)

Alignmaster question

Hello,

Just want to know why I need to have the time at 8 am when its 1700hrs here in Darwin to get the alignment to where its meant to slew to

I'm not complaining lol its just doing my head in, as it clearly states to get the time right in the instructions. http://www.alignmaster.de/en_alignmaster.html

If I do put the local time in the UT as it says, it wants stars below the horizon.

Any kind of explanation would be great to clear my confusion up.

Cheers,

Dan
Old 07-01-2011, 06:26 AM
h0ughy (David)

have you accounted for Daylight savings - iff your pc has done that?
Old 07-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Barrykgerdes

Looks like you haven't entered the local time offset and adjusted for daylight saving or you have + instead of -.

Barry
Old 07-01-2011, 08:49 AM
Cosmic (Daniel)

Thanks Dave and Barry for the reply. Yeah no daylight savings and in the time box which I assume its time zone input, it's currently at +10 ...Close as its +930 here and that gives me the right alignment just wrong UT time is displayed. I have to go to 0 on the time: to get the time right for now, doing this gives me the wrong star alignment.

I'll keep playing with it and I mite even ask Matthias Garzarolli the maker, if I have no luck in the end.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:32 AM
ozstronomer (Geoff)

Daniel

I use Alignmaster and love it. I'm in Brisbane so my Time is set to 10 ( no + or -) just the number 10 . The adjustments go in 1hour increments so I'm not sure how it will handle a half hour. You may need to try 9.30 or 9:30 and see how that goes.

I check my UT time via the clock on the heavens-above.com web site, just enter your location on their web site to get an accurate reading.

It's important the Long/Lat position is entered accurately. In the field I use my car gps and get good results.

Geoff
Old 07-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Cosmic (Daniel)

Great thanks Geoff, in relation to the time set, mines 10 as well ..yeah theres no + there I just assumed. I have now adjusted it to 9.30 and it seems to of accepted it times still out Im just going to cross ref the available stars now with starry night. If its pointing at the right direction ill leave it at that for now...trial and error at this stage.

My lat and long are spot on right down to the mill sec

That website http://www.heavens-above.com/whattim...d&alt=0&tz=CET ....is that meant to be the time im after?
Old 07-01-2011, 11:13 AM
ozstronomer (Geoff)

Daniel

That is the correct web address for UT time.

Is the date correct on your Alignmaster and what is the time now?

My understanding is that Alignmaster uses the computer time so you might want to check that.

Cheers Geoff
Old 07-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Cosmic (Daniel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozstronomer View Post
Daniel

That is the correct web address for UT time.

Is the date correct on your Alignmaster and what is the time now?

My understanding is that Alignmaster uses the computer time so you might want to check that.

Cheers Geoff
Ok the current time in darwin is 11:20:00...the time displayed on alignmaster with [time: 9.30] is UT: 7/01/2011 2:02:00AM down to the second! so where 9hrs and 18mins out.

Look this really has me stumped...I just don't like the idea of the time begin so far out

I did marry up the location of the current stars with Ascom EQMOD data and starry night as a comparison. It looks like 9.30 is spot on as it should be. Once more the time is way out, PC time is spot on.

Thanks Geoff for helping me investigate this, it is puzzling...maybe I need to reinstall the app, don't know.
Old 17-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Logieberra (Logan)

Hey Alignmasters

I have some questions as well. I just want to make sure I'm using the right settings before I head out to the field.

I'm based in Canberra. In the time area I just choose Sydney, and 10hrs. I then entre my GPS location details.

In the ASCOM settings I have my list of sites. Does Alignmaster use these ASCOM settings, or just the GPS settings on the Align Master main screen?

Regards,

Logan.
Old 31-10-2014, 03:31 PM
Marios (Marios)

Just for historical purposes, I get asked this alot at star parties...

Alignmaster LMST time should match that of EQMod's LMST time which is calculated on your computers time and date. You should only adjust your Alignmasters time settings if there is a discrepency for your set location ie. Melbourne +1100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Ok the current time in darwin is 11:20:00...the time displayed on alignmaster with [time: 9.30] is UT: 7/01/2011 2:02:00AM down to the second! so where 9hrs and 18mins out.

Look this really has me stumped...I just don't like the idea of the time begin so far out

I did marry up the location of the current stars with Ascom EQMOD data and starry night as a comparison. It looks like 9.30 is spot on as it should be. Once more the time is way out, PC time is spot on.

Thanks Geoff for helping me investigate this, it is puzzling...maybe I need to reinstall the app, don't know.