Old 13-04-2017, 11:08 AM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

Question Drawing a blank

This might be a silly question, I either can't remember the answer or I never really thought about it.

So I have my HEQ5 Pro connected to my laptop via the Shoestring bluetooth module and all works fine. I use Alignmaster to get a basic polar alignment....ok now this is where I draw a blank.

With a hand controller
- Polar align scope
- Enter details on HC
- Star alignment done

Wireless through ASCOM
- Rough polar alignment
- Alignmaster

Do we or can we do star alignments through ASCOM?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I i'm so
Old 13-04-2017, 11:33 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

If you have ASCOM and computer, I'd recommend using that over hand controller. Free software solution/suggestions:

1. Drift align for more accuracy over your "rough" polar alignment. OpenPHD/PHD2 has a drift align tool that's simple and effective. If you use other guide software, you could use that assuming you can turn off DEC guiding and see a trend line of errors.
2. Then blind plate solve for star alignment. AstroTortilla and/or a local astronomy.net solution is free.
3. Done.

Might be able to add more detail or tweak recommendations if you let us know what guiding software and image capture software you have already.
Old 14-04-2017, 02:22 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
If you have ASCOM and computer, I'd recommend using that over hand controller. Free software solution/suggestions:

1. Drift align for more accuracy over your "rough" polar alignment. OpenPHD/PHD2 has a drift align tool that's simple and effective. If you use other guide software, you could use that assuming you can turn off DEC guiding and see a trend line of errors.
2. Then blind plate solve for star alignment. AstroTortilla and/or a local astronomy.net solution is free.
3. Done.

Might be able to add more detail or tweak recommendations if you let us know what guiding software and image capture software you have already.
Thanks for that.

Don't use any autoguider at the moment.

Image capture I am using FireCapture.
Old 14-04-2017, 08:54 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

So you're imaging unguided? Then if you're alignment methods are near enough is good enough (planetary imaging only?), you could skip the drift align part and just use the blind plate solve method?
Old 16-08-2017, 12:09 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Is it possible to do a star alignment without the hand controller though?
Old 16-08-2017, 09:38 PM
billdan (Bill)

Stefan , the ASCOM driver interfaces to other programs that allow star alignment.
For a HEQ5, EQMOD is probably the best, it can do the star alignment for you and it supports plate solve and synchronise.
It also has a good planner module for planning your sub exposures with its DSLR camera support.

Bill