Old 05-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

SMC observations 26/10/11

Here are some notes that I've just got to typing up from a couple of weeks ago. I was hoping to get to sketch the supernova in IC 4901 but clods moved in before I got to it. I did get to observe some bright and more challenging objects in the Small Magellanic Cloud

Telescope 400mm f4.9 tri-dob reflector
Eyepieces 28mm UWAN, 17,13,9 mm Naglers, Paracorr
Navigation: SMC charts from cloudsofmagellan.net.au

Transparency and seeing good.

NGC 330 OC in SMC

175X A real gem. A tight clump resolved stars and haze which keeps revealing more with inspection. There is a bright 2’x1’ knot elongated preceding-following with quite a number of resolved stars and an especially bright line down the centre. The knot widens with averted vision. The knot is embedded in a fainter haze about twice the size with some resolved stars and a little cap on the following end. Not responsive to UHC.

NGC 376 OC in SMC

175X A bright triangular knot of stars with about half a dozen resolved. A fainter halo surrounds the 50” bright knot. Unresponsive to UHC filter

Lindsay 331/335 OC in SMC

175X These clusters lie just to the following side of a line drawn from NGC 330 to 376. Lindsays 331 & 335 form a tight triangle with a faint foreground star. Both are distinct but not bright and look elongated preceding-following about 1’x1 1/2’. 331 appears to have one star in the middle but is otherwise a smooth glow and 335 seems to have a bright bar running down the centre. There is another small clump of haze near the star that forms the apex of the triangle.

Kron 34 OC in SMC

175X A round smooth and faint 1’ glow that really needs averted vision. I have the impression of a brighter inner disc within a fainter round halo. Nearly disappears with UHC filter.

Clouds end the session before I get to visit the supernova in Pavo.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:00 PM
pgc hunter

Damn those flamin' clods!

Still you saw a few sights with your usual standard of reporting Keen to check out the Magellanics myself. Lots of fun to be had there. Isn't it a spectacular coincidence that the SMC also serves as a signpost to one of the sky's greatest globular clusters?

Paddy, I read somewhere that the LMC contains over 400 individually observable objects. Is this true? I know it's a treasure trove, but 400 in a few square degrees of sky?!?!?

cheers and don't let the clod bugs bite!
Old 06-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgc hunter View Post
Damn those flamin' clods!

Still you saw a few sights with your usual standard of reporting Keen to check out the Magellanics myself. Lots of fun to be had there. Isn't it a spectacular coincidence that the SMC also serves as a signpost to one of the sky's greatest globular clusters?

Paddy, I read somewhere that the LMC contains over 400 individually observable objects. Is this true? I know it's a treasure trove, but 400 in a few square degrees of sky?!?!?

cheers and don't let the clod bugs bite!
Thanks Sab.

There are heaps of things to browse in the LMC. My charts at Clouds of Magellan http://http://www.cloudsofmagellan.net.au/ have about 490 LMC objects which are pretty well all observable in 10-16" scopes and most in 8". Mind boggling.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:35 AM
pgc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Thanks Sab.

There are heaps of things to browse in the LMC. My charts at Clouds of Magellan http://http://www.cloudsofmagellan.net.au/ have about 490 LMC objects which are pretty well all observable in 10-16" scopes and most in 8". Mind boggling.

nearly 500! btw, I tried to access your site and my anti virus comes up with "malicious website blocked"
Old 06-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgc hunter View Post
nearly 500! btw, I tried to access your site and my anti virus comes up with "malicious website blocked"
Looks like the address went in with too many http's - the link in the post didn't work for me but the one in my signature did. Do you still get that message if you use the link in the signature?

Old 06-11-2011, 12:23 PM
pgc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Looks like the address went in with too many http's - the link in the post didn't work for me but the one in my signature did. Do you still get that message if you use the link in the signature?

cheers mate it's all good now
Old 06-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Robh (Rob)

HI Paddy,

Thanks for the interesting report.

Generally, I haven't found information on the Magellanic Clouds to be all that adequate, especially in identifying objects and navigating to them.
That makes your website rather unique and a great resource.

The charts are very useful and I like that you designed ones particularly for binocular users.

Regards, Rob
Old 06-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robh View Post
HI Paddy,

Thanks for the interesting report.

Generally, I haven't found information on the Magellanic Clouds to be all that adequate, especially in identifying objects and navigating to them.
That makes your website rather unique and a great resource.

The charts are very useful and I like that you designed ones particularly for binocular users.

Regards, Rob
Thanks Rob.