Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-11-2014, 07:23 PM
csb (Craig)

List of Science Fiction novels with good science & physics

The Astronomical Society of The Pacific has published this list of over 200 novels/short stories on their website:

Science Fiction Stories with Good Astronomy & Physics: A Topical Index

https://www.astrosociety.org/educati...l-index/#topic

The list is categorised and a short overview of each story is given also.

Larry Niven's Ringworld made the list of course.

Very useful for choosing a book to read.

Last edited by csb; 15-11-2014 at 06:01 AM.
Old 14-11-2014, 09:19 PM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

ah.... Dragon's Egg didn't make the list...
Old 14-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

Dragon's Egg is there, it's under Neutron Stars. (As is the sequel, Starquake).

Fantastic compilation -- thannks!!
Old 14-11-2014, 09:52 PM
csb (Craig)

Ah, Dragon's Egg, very detailed description of the of a sun going supernova.

Last edited by csb; 17-11-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 15-11-2014, 01:57 AM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthus View Post
Dragon's Egg is there, it's under Neutron Stars. (As is the sequel, Starquake).

Fantastic compilation -- thannks!!
Missed it...
Old 15-11-2014, 05:29 AM
sn1987a (Barry)

Nothing there will beat.... Plan 9 From Outer Space.

Not in my universe anyway
Old 15-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Thanks for the link to the list.

I thought I'd give it a quick test, as I had read Hawking's "Brief History of Time" and not found anything much very novel in it, because I had previously read Frederick Pohl's Gateway series. I hadn't realised I'd been getting an overview in theoretical physics while reading it.

And the list does contain the Gateway series.
Regards,
Renato
Old 15-11-2014, 01:31 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

Obviously these lists are by their nature incomplete, but only one Heinlein novel, nothing from Phillip Dick and nothing from Iain Banks? Can't take it very seriously!
Cheers,
Andrew.
Old 15-11-2014, 06:45 PM
csb (Craig)

I also expected more Heinlen stories to be on the list. And not surprised to see The Forever War in there.

I don't think it is intended to be a comprehensive list but is certainly useful for finding a book that has hard core science which, for many people, adds another level of interest with the story.

From the Intro to the list: "The author welcomes suggestions for additions to this list, especially if your favorite story with good science is left out."

I have it bookmarked for my next choice of reading.

Last edited by csb; 16-11-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 16-11-2014, 09:53 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alocky View Post
Obviously these lists are by their nature incomplete, but only one Heinlein novel, nothing from Phillip Dick and nothing from Iain Banks? Can't take it very seriously!
Cheers,
Andrew.
Heinlein's early juvenile novels may have had something worthy of inclusion, but his adult and particularly his later novels seemed to mainly be more involved with pushing bounds and weird sexual stuff - sex with mother, sex with granddaughters etc etc, but nothing much to do with good astronomy and physics. (Fortunately, his last novel "Friday" was very refreshing compared to all the stuff since Stranger in a Strange Land).

Philip K. Dick stuff is fantastic, but would have a more appeal to people interested in warped perceptions of reality. He makes Carlos Castenada look deeply rooted in reality.
Regards,
Renato
Old 16-11-2014, 10:14 PM
csb (Craig)

Yes, Heinlen's stories did get a bit weird in parts, which was not to my liking, but once started they were hard to put down.

Now Arthur C Clarke could put hard science into a fantastic story and his visions of far-future technologies were so very believable.
Old 17-11-2014, 01:02 AM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renato1 View Post
Heinlein's early juvenile novels may have had something worthy of inclusion, but his adult and particularly his later novels seemed to mainly be more involved with pushing bounds and weird sexual stuff - sex with mother, sex with granddaughters etc etc, but nothing much to do with good astronomy and physics. (Fortunately, his last novel "Friday" was very refreshing compared to all the stuff since Stranger in a Strange Land).

Philip K. Dick stuff is fantastic, but would have a more appeal to people interested in warped perceptions of reality. He makes Carlos Castenada look deeply rooted in reality.
Regards,
Renato
Odd - I've read most of Heinlein's novels and don't recall any incest whatsoever, but he certainly wasn't bound by normal moral conventions and I wouldn't be at all surprised. I suppose 'the moon is a harsh mistress' was the main one that I felt belonged on that list. Some of his early 'juvenile' ones also described in great detail some of the finer points of orbital mechanics - well before the first Mercury missions were flown.
As for Philip Dick - It's quite remarkable how many of his stories have been made into very successful movies.
Cheers,
Andrew.
Old 17-11-2014, 01:50 PM
graham.hobart (Graham stevens)
DeepSkySlacker

Sci Fi

I agree about Iain M Banks as well.
Whilst perusing the list it reminded me of a book I read years ago which I would love to read again and I cannot remember the author or title.
I got it from my local library and they were no help as they don't keep borrowing lists going back a few years.
If any one recognises the story I sure would like to read it again...
It went something like this I think...
Some Air Force Pilot and a few scientists are transported back through time by some sort of ring artefact in the sky and they end up in an alternate Earth where Neanderthal, Homo Erectus, Homo Sapiens and other early progenitors are all alive and in a vicious war of survival.
Ring any bells with anyone?
Cheers
Graz

Last edited by graham.hobart; 17-11-2014 at 01:50 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 17-11-2014, 02:05 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Interesting list, clearly complied by a Larry Niven fan, (I'm one too) but maybe a few others missing from Heinlein, Asimov, Bear, Weber and Herbert (no Dune?) Hmmm. "The Ship the Sailed the Time Stream" is a cracker too.
but interesting nevertheless
Old 17-11-2014, 02:15 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csb View Post
Yes, Heinlen's stories did get a bit weird in parts, which was not to my liking, but once started they were hard to put down.

Now Arthur C Clarke could put hard science into a fantastic story and his visions of far-future technologies were so very believable.
I remember reading somewhere where Clarke's very early stories involving man-made things that orbited the planet, which in turn enabled easy communication around the whole planet - were supposed to have inspired a very young Rupert Murdoch to fame and fortune.

Regards,
Renato
Old 17-11-2014, 02:26 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alocky View Post
Odd - I've read most of Heinlein's novels and don't recall any incest whatsoever, but he certainly wasn't bound by normal moral conventions and I wouldn't be at all surprised. I suppose 'the moon is a harsh mistress' was the main one that I felt belonged on that list. Some of his early 'juvenile' ones also described in great detail some of the finer points of orbital mechanics - well before the first Mercury missions were flown.
As for Philip Dick - It's quite remarkable how many of his stories have been made into very successful movies.
Cheers,
Andrew.
Have you read Heinlein's "Time Enough For Love"?
I really wish he'd stuck to the style of Starship Troopers which still remains one of the most memorable novels I've ever read (shame about the movie, which kept much of the content but deliberately perverted the themes very badly).

Yes, it is amazing to see both how many and how well Dick's short stories have translated across to the big screen. I remember watching what I thought was a B-grade movie called "Screamers", which suddenly developed very unexpected depth, and sure enough at the end credits, it was based on a Philip K. Dick short story.

I also remember watching Tom Cruise in Vanilla Sky, which turned out to be based on a Spanish novel. Only thing was, it seemed an awful lot like the earlier novel from Dick called "Ubik".
Regards,
Renato
Old 17-11-2014, 02:32 PM
csb (Craig)

Graham, perhaps the book is Time's Last Gift bt Philip Jose Farmer?

I haven't read the book - just googled some of your story references.

Last edited by csb; 17-11-2014 at 06:29 PM.