Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-07-2019, 01:10 AM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

NGC 6188 Ara

I've been using Photoshop CS2 a lot more lately for finishing touches to my images & decided to use it for the entire processing of this target.
24 x 300 sec. exp., captured using FLT 98 + .8 FF/FR & ST 8300c, acquired with Nebulosity IV & PHD for guiding. Comments welcome & thanks for looking.
Cheers,
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC6188 300x24  .jpg)
192.9 KB87 views
Old 16-07-2019, 07:37 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Looks decent to me.
If you are using photo shop try a little experimentation with the burn and dodge tools which selectively brighten or darken selected specific areas.
I find them handy to accentuate details. But be gentle and set the opacity low and proceed in small steps.
Anyways well done.
Alex
Old 16-07-2019, 05:25 PM
gb44 (Glenn)

Thats a rich star field / neb , added it to my target list. Nice one!

Theres a greenish tinge to the stars here on my screen?? Maybe the moon got involved in a gradient??

GlennB
Old 16-07-2019, 10:16 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

great shot Tony, your RGB channels are a just a bit out of line with some clipping in green and moreso in the blue channels. excellent capture though! well done
Old 16-07-2019, 10:23 PM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Looks decent to me.
If you are using photo shop try a little experimentation with the burn and dodge tools which selectively brighten or darken selected specific areas.
I find them handy to accentuate details. But be gentle and set the opacity low and proceed in small steps.
Anyways well done.
Alex
Thanks Alex, I've just started using the layers in PS with the different options & opacity, mostly soft light, luminosity, colours & hue.
I've noticed the burn & dodge options but don't know how to use them yet. Any tips?
Cheers,
Tony
Old 16-07-2019, 10:30 PM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
great shot Tony, your RGB channels are a just a bit out of line with some clipping in green and moreso in the blue channels. excellent capture though! well done
Thanks Russ, I'm still getting my head around adjusting the colours manually as opposed to hitting the 'auto colour' button.I'm using a OSC camera but adjustment is still necessary.
When adjusting the colours in levels is there a rule of thumb for which channel to start with? Thanks for the feedback.
Cheers,
Tony
Old 16-07-2019, 10:36 PM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb44 View Post
Thats a rich star field / neb , added it to my target list. Nice one!

Theres a greenish tinge to the stars here on my screen?? Maybe the moon got involved in a gradient??

GlennB
thanks Glenn, there is definitely some Moon glow in there. The only clear nights I've had have been when the Moon is 3/4 to full, but I still persevere
I must be .
Cheers,
Tony
Old 17-07-2019, 10:43 AM
casstony

Nice that you caught ngc 6164 in the bottom corner.
Old 17-07-2019, 05:36 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant0nio View Post
Thanks Alex, I've just started using the layers in PS with the different options & opacity, mostly soft light, luminosity, colours & hue.
I've noticed the burn & dodge options but don't know how to use them yet. Any tips?
Cheers,
Tony
Select the dodge tool for example and at the bottom of screen both the dodge tool and the burn tool will appear (there is a smudge as well but I have yet to use it) although you are already able to use the dodge tool. A circle should appear where you drag your mouse over the image and its size can be varied by the slider at the bottom of the screen.
You will also see a opacity slider..for a start set it high, to the right, and click on your image it, at least the region outlined by the curcle, should become lighter...also there are a selecrion of brushes and I suggest you select a thick one with blurred edges...try a few to get a feel...play around for a while.. when you have a feel for it select the burn tool it makes the region within the circle darker..again use a thick brush with blurred edges...now when actually working on an image set the opacity rather low so it takes a few clicks before you notice any change .. be subtle but you will over do it for starters I expect..I certainly did☺ ...so first click on areas that may benefit from being lighter with the dodge tool and then select areas that will benefit being darker ..it really brings out features particularly where there is a very faint dust lane a couple of subtle clicks and they jump out....also seeing you use layers try the rubber tool...make a dark copy and place your lighter image on top use the rubber where you want darker features or do similar with a light image...
Also once you have results perhaps layer your original image and add only a percentage of the images created using Dodge and burn or the rubber tools.
If you want to add some colour make a layer (new layer solid colour) of the colour you would like more ... place in your main image on it and use the rubber tool sparingly to let a little colour into the specific region you want..I cheat usitnf the rubber and the one colour layer to give my colourless stars a hint of colour by setting the rubber diameter very small and clicking with the opacity set rather low.
All these approaches are probably considered not the thing to do..I dont know but it is photo shop after all so why not use some of its magic☺...the key is not to be to heavy handed which is a virtue I am still working upon.
Give it all a go and let me know if you get them to work for you...the dodge tool can bring out stuff you did not realise was there...they all work because you are only working on a small region and not the whole image...you know how it goes you brigten an image to get some faint detail but doing that blows out an already bright region.. . .dodge gives you specific area control..as do the other tools and methods I set out.
Good luck.
Alex
Old 17-07-2019, 08:05 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Cool image Ant.
Old 18-07-2019, 06:51 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant0nio View Post
Thanks Russ, I'm still getting my head around adjusting the colours manually as opposed to hitting the 'auto colour' button.I'm using a OSC camera but adjustment is still necessary.
When adjusting the colours in levels is there a rule of thumb for which channel to start with? Thanks for the feedback.
Cheers,
Tony
Hi Tony,

No right way, everyone would do it differently. its quite possible to make curve adjustments all at once, then tweak levels individually, everytime you an an increment.
Try to have it so the black point ends up the same everytime you do an iteration (keep them above point 6 til the last correction). That is probably a good starting point.

Cheers
Old 19-07-2019, 04:41 PM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
Nice that you caught ngc 6164 in the bottom corner.
Thanks Tony, well spotted
Ant
Old 19-07-2019, 04:43 PM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Select the dodge tool for example and at the bottom of screen both the dodge tool and the burn tool will appear (there is a smudge as well but I have yet to use it) although you are already able to use the dodge tool. A circle should appear where you drag your mouse over the image and its size can be varied by the slider at the bottom of the screen.
You will also see a opacity slider..for a start set it high, to the right, and click on your image it, at least the region outlined by the curcle, should become lighter...also there are a selecrion of brushes and I suggest you select a thick one with blurred edges...try a few to get a feel...play around for a while.. when you have a feel for it select the burn tool it makes the region within the circle darker..again use a thick brush with blurred edges...now when actually working on an image set the opacity rather low so it takes a few clicks before you notice any change .. be subtle but you will over do it for starters I expect..I certainly did☺ ...so first click on areas that may benefit from being lighter with the dodge tool and then select areas that will benefit being darker ..it really brings out features particularly where there is a very faint dust lane a couple of subtle clicks and they jump out....also seeing you use layers try the rubber tool...make a dark copy and place your lighter image on top use the rubber where you want darker features or do similar with a light image...
Also once you have results perhaps layer your original image and add only a percentage of the images created using Dodge and burn or the rubber tools.
If you want to add some colour make a layer (new layer solid colour) of the colour you would like more ... place in your main image on it and use the rubber tool sparingly to let a little colour into the specific region you want..I cheat usitnf the rubber and the one colour layer to give my colourless stars a hint of colour by setting the rubber diameter very small and clicking with the opacity set rather low.
All these approaches are probably considered not the thing to do..I dont know but it is photo shop after all so why not use some of its magic☺...the key is not to be to heavy handed which is a virtue I am still working upon.
Give it all a go and let me know if you get them to work for you...the dodge tool can bring out stuff you did not realise was there...they all work because you are only working on a small region and not the whole image...you know how it goes you brigten an image to get some faint detail but doing that blows out an already bright region.. . .dodge gives you specific area control..as do the other tools and methods I set out.
Good luck.
Alex
Thank you for taking the time to do this Alex, I'm working on it