Old 12-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Juliano

the 8" should be arriving in a couple of days
Old 12-02-2008, 12:22 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Juliano and to IceInSpace! Great to have you onboard!

You've made the right decision with the 8" dob! Portable, with good aperture, easily customisable, and you can chuck it on an EQ mount for imaging if you go down that track.

Keep asking questions!
Old 12-02-2008, 12:23 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliano View Post
the 8" should be arriving in a couple of days
Woo Hoo! Just in time to watch the Moon wax over the next week or so - and you can do this in the evenings from your back yard in Melbourne! Subject to clouds
Old 12-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Juliano

I must say even as a newbie to the skies, i could tell the difference from the new moon in my backyard. Seeing was much better. (when there was no clouds)

Im lucky in that the south is over the bay and i get less light pollution. but the north looks pretty bad.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Juliano

Quote:
You've made the right decision with the 8" dob! Portable, with good aperture, easily customisable, and you can chuck it on an EQ mount for imaging if you go down that track.
thanks iceman, i chose the 8" because of portability and sick of being let down with cheap telescopes.

I must say im scared of collimating, ive read all the documentation and understand it somewhat (i even bought a cheshire collimating tool), but what im worried is how much it will need collimating and the "star test" how do you do a star test when its getting dark? isnt it hard. I dont have the telescope yet but can you reach the screws while looking throught the EP?
Old 16-02-2008, 11:01 PM
EJO

Need help

HI.

I have just purchased my first telescope - a Celestron Astromaster 70eq from Australian Geographic. Don't know what kind of quality 'scope it is. Saw the moon for the first time up close. Awesome! However, I don't know if it is my lack of technique and knowledge, but the 'scope kept moving like it wasn't balanced. Even though I followed instructions to balance it and thought it was, it appeared to be too sensitive. There is also a hole at the back of the latitude section with ridging for something to screw in. I think this is where the rear latitude adjuster/lever is supposed to go. This is missing. Does this help keep the 'scope from moving around? The pictures on the instruction booklet are not clear - some look like they have a rear lat adj lever and some don't. Does this make any sense? Can anyone help this ignoramus? I hope I don't have to lug it all the way back to the shop...

Cheers
EJO
Old 17-02-2008, 06:28 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi EJO.
Unfortunately that scope probably isn't something that we'd recommend, but unless you have the option of returning it for a refund, you may as well try and get the most of it.

Can you post some pictures of it?

Also, maybe start by creating a new thread with the specific questions etc, because you're likely to get more responses. It can get lost in this "Beginners" thread.

to IceInSpace!
Old 17-02-2008, 12:52 PM
leinad (Dan)

Hi everyone, another newbie here

Just got my Skywatcher 8" Dob this weekend, and had my first viewing session Sat night. amazing!
Couldnt be happier with my first introductory scope to astronomy.
Old 17-02-2008, 08:39 PM
EJO

Hi Iceman

Thanks for the reply. Just to show my ignorance yet again - how do I start a new thread?

I will look at my docket and see what options there are for refund. I will take photo asap and post. Busy teaching and doing prep work during the week but will try it to post a pic soon.

Cheers
EJO
Old 17-02-2008, 08:41 PM
EJO

New Scope

Hi again,

If I can return 'scope what do you recommend for absolute beginner?
EJO
Old 17-02-2008, 08:59 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi EJO

If you get into "Beginners Start Here!" forum, there is a button at the upper left that says "New Thread". Click on that, add title and message and click down the bottom to "Submit New Thread".

To recommend a scope, first a lot of questions for you:-

1. What do you want to look at?
2. Where can you look at things - in fairly bright city areas, or are you in fairly dark skies already from your back yard?
3. If you have to drive to get to dark skies, you will need to be able to pack your telescope, transport it safely, and put it together at site? What sort of car would you have available - big, small, wagon etc.
4. Do you really truly want to try and take some photogaphs of what you see through a telescope? Think carefully before you answer? "Yes" may change everything and increase the price a good bit.
5. Do you think you might get out once a month? once a week? every second night!
6. Do you want automatic everything? Eg. if follows the stars for you, finds things for you - or can you do that yourself - follow star maps to find things and then be prepared to follow them by moving the telescope by hand?
7. Are you technically handy - adjusting knobs and screws? Some telescopes need regular adjustment, some are adjusted from the factory and don't need much attention.
8. How much do you have to spend?

That will do for a start!! If you answer those, it will be come clearer what telescopes could suit you.

Eric
Old 22-02-2008, 11:07 AM
jshad84 (James)
James

another Newbie

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this whole star gazing thing. I recently got a saxon 130mm aperture 900mm focal length reflector on an equitorial mount. I am enjoying using it aside forms till getting used to polar aligning it. I was wonding if anyone else out there had a similar scope to this and what they thought of it. Also, because i plan on carrying it around with me a fair bit, i don't think the box it came in will last too long. any suggestions on cases?

J
Old 08-03-2008, 11:42 PM
flearosie

Question Newbie here too

Hello, I have an 8" Skywatcher dob which I bought last year but due to circumstances havent used that much. I am back on deck now and hoping to learn as much as I can take in! Can someone advise me what the most popular eyepieces are for newcomers? I have 10,25 and 40mm Plossls but have no idea whether these are suitable for someone with no experience....

I dont want to waste money on something that is beyond my experience but also do not want something that is not sufficent. Is a 2X Barlow any benefit to me at my stage? I live in an area with very dark skies so I can appreciate how lucky I am and would love to be able to find my way around in time.Any advice on makes and types would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
Old 09-03-2008, 08:45 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

HI flearosie,
I would stick with the ep's you have for now - they will provide magnification of 30 (for 40mm), ~50 (25mm) & 120x(10mm). I would use the 40 or 25 for cruising around & use the 10mm to zoom in on planets / finer detail. Before buying try a few other peoples diff ep's, you will see what your ep's deliver, and what might be better for you etc.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:39 AM
rodroger (Rodney)
Rod Burgess

Hi,
You might want to get a good Quality Barlows as depending on the focal length of the scope and the useful highest magnification applicable with the mount for double star observation if you want to try this field of adventure out. This you will learn from the operation of the scope over a month or so.

Last edited by rodroger; 10-03-2008 at 12:40 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 22-03-2008, 06:09 PM
ajlane

New To This

Hi All,

I have joined up to hopefully find people that have similar interests in Astronomy, this looks like the perfect place to start.

Anyone located in south eastern suburbs in Melbourne? Any Astronomy groups located here that do outings?

I thought everyone might be interested to see the telescope I built.

tks.
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (alan.jpg)
69.8 KB165 views
Old 22-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Alan and welcome to IIS. you certainly have come to the right place to answer all your questions.

That is a very nice looking scope and to build it yourself must be very satisfying indeed. What are the details of it?

Cheers
Old 22-03-2008, 08:40 PM
ajlane

ive just joined the forum and i have a couple of questions ,im thinking of buying a meade lightbridge 16'',in the near future ,has anyone out there got one ,and are they any good????also anyone living around the rowville area who,s into astronomy,as ive just got into the hobby i want to learn from someone who knows the ropes......thanks.....alan
Old 22-03-2008, 09:08 PM
ajlane

hi ric,i made the scope whilst working at air new zealand,its a 12'' mirror which i had made ,and the rest came from obsolete aircraft parts ,i made an error on the f5 length of the scope ,but got around it by machining up a adapter for the eye piece,s which brings it all back into focus,this scope is good for a deck out in the country,its to big for my car and the mrs wont let me use her one....ha ha cheers alan
Old 22-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Good value Alan, It sounds like you did a good job with it. If your after a 16" you might have to upgrade your car

Cheers