Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy Books and Media

Old 06-07-2018, 10:47 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Latest Aug 18 S&T -electronic version

I have a full collection of S&T going back to 1941....
But it seems they have changed their electronic version provider to VINIO...
never heard of them...
You have to register etc etc. and trying to read the magazine on a laptop is a PITA. What between that and the useless american Ad's for hunting knives etc.
They're loosing me......
Old 06-07-2018, 11:34 AM
h0ughy (David)

Agree and my password don't work either
Old 08-07-2018, 03:56 PM
phomer (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
I have a full collection of S&T going back to 1941....
But it seems they have changed their electronic version provider to VINIO...
never heard of them...
You have to register etc etc. and trying to read the magazine on a laptop is a PITA. What between that and the useless american Ad's for hunting knives etc.
They're loosing me......

Ken,

I have had no issue with actually accessing the magazine online but I have contacted them to find out how to download a pdf version. As you say it is a PITA to use the slow online version that is only available when you are online.

If enough people are asking for this, maybe something will come of it.

And I agree, they are losing me if this is not resolved.

Regards
Old 11-07-2018, 06:53 PM
phomer (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phomer View Post
Ken,

I have had no issue with actually accessing the magazine online but I have contacted them to find out how to download a pdf version. As you say it is a PITA to use the slow online version that is only available when you are online.

If enough people are asking for this, maybe something will come of it.

And I agree, they are losing me if this is not resolved.

Regards

Unfortunately Sky & Telescope got back to me today, but they don't appreciate what a PITA this is. In fact I don't think they really care.

Paul
Old 18-07-2018, 01:23 PM
PCH (Paul)

What was their response Paul, if you don’t mind sharing?
Old 19-07-2018, 08:05 PM
phomer (Paul)

The response from Sky & Telescope was a generic response so perhaps they have had a number of people complaining. They appreciated my support but really that wasn't what I was giving.

Dear Subscriber,

I apologize that PDF copies are no longer published. For instructions on offline reading with Zinio, please visit the link below:

https://support.zinio.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015719548-How-to-Install-the-Desktop-Reader-Offline

If you have further questions with respect to reading or accessing your digital edition via Zinio, please contact support@zinio.com.

Thank you for contacting us, we appreciate your support.
Old 25-07-2018, 08:59 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

I renewed my Sky & Telescope Magazine (USA) Digital Subscription via the Apple App Store on 16 Jan 2018. According to the Tax Invoice/Confirmation of Subscription e-mail received from the Apple App Store, my Subscription is valid until 15th Jan 2019.

However, the last Digital Issue that I received via the Sky & Tel App on my iPad is July 2018. I understand that to combat piracy, Sky & Tel have now migrated to publishing via another App in the Apple App Store, called Zinio.

So, I have a couple of questions:
  • Did any current iPad Subscribers receive a notification of this change, from the Sky & Tel App to the new Zinio App?
  • If so, how did you migrate the balance of Issues from the already paid-for Sky & Tel App Subscription to the newly adopted Zinio App, for the current August 2018 Issue and any remaining Issues that you have already paid for, as part of your current Subscription.

I am having some difficulty with trying to obtain any help from Sky & Telescope Magazine (USA) on this topic and a way forward to accessing my outstanding, already paid for Issues.

Thanks

Dennis
Old 25-07-2018, 09:06 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Dennis,
I just received this email from S&T.....

Dear Valued Sky & Telescope Subscriber,
You may have noticed that we have changed our digital issue distribution platform from Nxtbook to Zinio beginning with the August issue. We apologize that you did not receive advance notice of this change. We recognize that this transition is not without its growing pains and are sending this email in order to address some commonly asked questions.
Can I still download PDFs?
Unfortunately, Zinio does not offer a PDF download function; however, the magazine remains readable offline using Zinio's apps for desktop computers and for iOS and Android mobile devices. Sky & Telescope will also continue to release yearly compilation CDs, which include the PDF of each issue in a given year. These compilations are available at shopatsky.com.
I'm having trouble accessing my digital issue, where can I go for help?
For assistance with Zinio-related questions, including how to access your issues and read issues offline, please visit Zinio's comprehensive Help Center or contact support@zinio.com.
What's the status of my digital subscription?
Your digital subscription has automatically transferred to Zinio, so there is no need to resubscribe. For questions about your subscription, please contact skyandtelescope@emailcustomerservic e.com.
I never received an email from Zinio about the August issue.
If you never received, or can't find, your email from Zinio with the August issue, please contact skyandtelescope@emailcustomerservic e.com.
We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for any confusion caused by this transition. We appreciate your patience during this transitional period and are hopeful that Zinio will provide you with an excellent reading experience.
Sincerely,
The Editors of Sky & Telescope
Old 25-07-2018, 01:15 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

That’s interesting Ken, many thanks for the update, I appreciate it – there may be some hope yet.

It does seem a confusing set up, such a sudden, fundamental change without any prior notification.

My Digital Subscription was made via the Apple App Store, so I do not have a record/account created via the Sky & Telescope Magazine website.

However, I do have a Sky & Telescope Shop account, where I have previously purchased downloadable media.

I have also e-mailed the Sky & Telescope Magazine, both from their website and from within the App on my iPad and so far, not a peep on how to solve this problem.

Maybe I’m just not cut out to be a Digital Native.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 27-07-2018, 09:37 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Potential problem for iPad subscribers using the Sky & Telescope App from App Store

Potential problem for iPad subscribers using the Sky & Telescope App from the Apple App Store.

Hmm, the comedy of errors seems to now have descended into a complete farce...

I tried to access the Sky & Telescope App on my iPad to read the previous editions and the App will not function now.

It just opens and then immediately closes....

Looks like I have now lost all my S&T Editions since 2015.

Digital robbery if that is the case - losing all the old issues I have paid for on top of not receiving the 5 or 6 future editions I have already paid for in my 2018 subscription.

This was my only Digital Subscription so although one should never say never, it is with some confidence that I can say no more Sky & Tel for me on any media, nor any other digital subscription shall enter my household.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 27-07-2018, 09:49 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Dennis,
I feel your pain!!!!!
Have you tried the Zinio App to access the S&T???
Old 27-07-2018, 09:57 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Dennis,
I feel your pain!!!!!
Have you tried the Zinio App to access the S&T???
Hi Ken

Thanks for your words of comfort, I appreciate them.

I won't bother with this any further as its just not worth expending any further energy and thinking on this topic.

It has been a good lesson for me, on the frailties of digital subscriptions and has helped me make the choice to avoid them where possible in the future.

I do feel some degree of sympathy for the editorial team at S&T who have tried to protect their IP from theft by migrating to another app, but no more for me.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 02-08-2018, 05:46 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

UPDATE: S&T Issues now appearing on my iPad.

Just like waiting for a bus – none in sight for hours, then 3 arrive all at the same time, I have just been able to access the Aug, Sept & Oct Issues of Sky & telescope – finally.

I’m not sure what triggered this; I contacted the Sky & Tel App provider, Sky & Tel magazine and Apple (Subscription from within the iTunes Store) and although I received an acknowledgement “we have received your message…” there was a silence.

Today, out of idle curiosity, I fired up the App on my iPad and lo and behold, the latest 3 Issues appeared.

In my case, this is the third strike in the “3 strikes and you’re out” rule for digital subscriptions, where some entity in the supply chain prevented me from accessing Subscriptions, so no more for me in the near to mid future, it seems so variable an experience for what should be a simple and transparent process.

I hope others fare better.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 21-08-2018, 05:56 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
I renewed my Sky & Telescope Magazine (USA) Digital Subscription via the Apple App Store on 16 Jan 2018. According to the Tax Invoice/Confirmation of Subscription e-mail received from the Apple App Store, my Subscription is valid until 15th Jan 2019.

However, the last Digital Issue that I received via the Sky & Tel App on my iPad is July 2018. I understand that to combat piracy, Sky & Tel have now migrated to publishing via another App in the Apple App Store, called Zinio.

So, I have a couple of questions:
  • Did any current iPad Subscribers receive a notification of this change, from the Sky & Tel App to the new Zinio App?
  • If so, how did you migrate the balance of Issues from the already paid-for Sky & Tel App Subscription to the newly adopted Zinio App, for the current August 2018 Issue and any remaining Issues that you have already paid for, as part of your current Subscription.

I am having some difficulty with trying to obtain any help from Sky & Telescope Magazine (USA) on this topic and a way forward to accessing my outstanding, already paid for Issues.

Thanks

Dennis
I did not receive an Email advising of the move to Zinio, neither did no one on CN that posted in a now since closed thread on the subject.

I received no Email for the August 2018 edition either. The first I knew of the whole shenanigans was reading the CN post/thread on it.

I am far from impressed with S&T's new owners - F+W Media.

I call BS on their claim that piracy was an issue, hence the removal of the option for a downloadable PDF. This is just another case of a manufacturer screwing over customers cos they can.

I immediately cancelled my subscription (had around 6 months left). I make no apologies. No PDF, no $$$ from me. Plain and simple.
Old 21-08-2018, 06:34 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Whilst I was somewhat disappointed with the lack of notice from the publishing team, I do sympathise with anyone who tries to protect their business against unauthorised, unfair and IMO unethical practices such as illegal downloads.

The final nail in the coffin for me was that my ability to access and read digital subscriptions appears to be at the whim of folks in a remote office, who can make a one-sided decision that prevents me from accessing and reading previously purchased editions on my iPad.

At least with paper copies, I can thumb through previous editions.

This has happened now with 3 digital subscriptions (astronomy & photography) and so does not satisfy my requirement to enjoy a mutually rewarding relationship with a service provider.

So, no more digital subscriptions for me, unless the benefits of entering into another one trumps my current concerns.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 21-08-2018, 08:16 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Sorry Dennis, but their "losses" from piracy will be tiny, compared to the income that they're losing from legit customers cancelling their subscriptions due to no downloadable PDF. Dinosaurs in business do not deserve to survive. S&T will be dead and defunct within 5 years. mark my words. I feel no pity for them.
Old 22-08-2018, 08:32 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

My experience and how I navigated the issue is quite different.

When I initially discovered that I could not download the Aug Issue my original reaction was what the flaming heck is going on!

This was further compounded by not being able to access previously downloaded issues and I could feel the temperature of my blood rising.

Pausing to take stock of the situation, I asked myself the following questions:
  • “Is someone trying to break down my front door with an axe?”
  • “Is this a deliberate, targeted action against me personally?”
  • “Are S&T trying to steal from me?”
  • “Is this a life and death issue?”
  • “Am I losing $1000’s?”
After answering “No” to all the above, I calmed down and read around the issue and ended up giving the folks at S&T the benefit of the doubt, as they did not appear to have a history of trying to short change their customers. Added to that they have a rich history of serving the astronomy community.

What finally compelled me to cease digital subscriptions were simple issues; my historical experiences were that these were not the types of supplier relationships that fitted my lifestyle and met my own expectations.

So, I wish the folks at S&T all the best for the future and I hope they can tame the loss of business through illegal downloads.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 22-08-2018, 02:07 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Dennis, what you are not understanding is that the folks at S&T aren't bad. But - they were very recently sold to F+W media, and in reality, it's a money making exercise for them. They don't care about S&T, they don't care about Astronomers, and they don't care about Astronomy. They are much like these big shell corporations that buy and sell companies - they buy when the price is low, fix them up and sell for a big profit. They have no interest in the actual product, or people behind the company, or the customers. It's all about $$$$$. When something is not salvageable, they kill it, and make sure that no one else can make any use of the remains . This is how these types of companies operate.

Is the issue life threatening? No.

However, when i "agreed" to a subscription, downloadable PDFs were available. I entered into a sales contract with S&T on that premise. They have removed the option (a direct violation of the sales contract) without my legal consent. That, the last time I looked, is NOT a contract. A contract is an agreeance between 2 or more parties and is not changeable without the consent of all parties.

Too many companies today seem to not understand the concept of a sales contract, and sadly, the law makers and courts (both corrupt, both ONLY serve the wealthy and corporate business) fail to enforce these basics of contract law.

Am i being pedantic? You betcha. These big businesses are pedantic too when it suits them.

I wish S&T all the best, but from what I could see on CN, most people cancelled their subscriptions. For me, and MANY others, a non-available downloadable PDF is a deal breaker.

Tell me, what happens in 20 years when Zinio is bust, and there's no app to read the "files" that you paid for? will the courts reimburse you? I think not, and if you think that they will, you're smoking something Green and dreaming. You'll end up not being able to read content that you legally purchased, with no reimbursement.

Proprietary technology ONLY serves the manufacturer as a lock-out, anti-competitive and monopolistic tool. Nothing more, and nothing less. I may not be super old, but I have lived long enough to know this by just opening my eyes and looking. Sadly, too many people in modern society are sheeple.

Anyway, I have now exited said sales contract of my own volition, I have my money back (pro-rate obviously) and I am free to criticise S&T and F+W media as I see fit. They are fair game. This is called an open market, where consumers have the right to speak out against manufacturers/vendors who simply offer poor products et cetera. This is the core basis for any modern capitalistic nature of business and consumer interaction.
Old 26-08-2018, 12:53 AM
luka
Unregistered User

It is all about the control and extracting more money from the reader. Preventing piracy is just an excuse.

1. You don't own the content any more.
A paper copy or a PDF copy was ownership. Now you are just "renting" the content that you have no control off and that can be switched off at any time.

2. They are selling PDFs separately on CDs (see Ken's comment above). Let me guess, even though you have digital subscription now you have to pay again for the CDs to get the PDFs.
Basically now they are double-charging for the same information.

Control and money.

Finally, if you google "Zinio PDF" you may get surprised
Old 26-08-2018, 01:34 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
It is all about the control and extracting more money from the reader. Preventing piracy is just an excuse.

1. You don't own the content any more.
A paper copy or a PDF copy was ownership. Now you are just "renting" the content that you have no control off and that can be switched off at any time.

2. They are selling PDFs separately on CDs (see Ken's comment above). Let me guess, even though you have digital subscription now you have to pay again for the CDs to get the PDFs.
Basically now they are double-charging for the same information.

Control and money.

Finally, if you google "Zinio PDF" you may get surprised
with regards to #2 - the last time that I checked with S&T (around 3 years ago), I was told that the annual DVDs did not contain PDFs, but required the included software to be able to read the issues. Did they change it?