Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-03-2018, 11:02 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Leo Triplet revisited and others

Clear skies on Saturday night beckoned me back out to the location one and a half hours drive from Melbourne where I tried my first attempt at the Leo triplet. I thought I could improve on the last 13 x 90 second subs and aimed for 70 subs.

I achieved this but ended up with 56 due to tracking errors. It was a warmish night and I noticed increased noise from my modded Canon 550d's sensor after viewing some of the subs. I continued on and did get an image (cropped) that was an improvement on the first, so it was worthwhile.

After the Leo Triplet I slewed the scope to an area in the Virgo Cluster to see what ended up in the field of view. As this was an extra afterthought before I packed everything away, I only took 4 x 90 second subs. Both these constellations are fairly low in the sky from Southern Victoria.

For the remaining time before the moon rose I headed for the zenith and jumped to M83 and took 5 x 90 seconds (slightly out of focus), so I refocused and moved over to Ngc 5139 and shot 5 x 45 seconds, then finally to Ngc 3372 and took 10 x 45 seconds, all at 800 iso.

Despite the temperature causing increased noise, it was nice to observe and photograph in shorts and T shirt knowing that in a few months I'll be clothed to survive in the Antarctic!

All shots were unguided through a SW Esprit 100 on an HEQ5pro mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (LeoTripletCrop.jpg)
185.1 KB85 views
Click for full-size image (VirgoGalaxies.jpg)
214.5 KB70 views
Click for full-size image (M83wide.jpg)
198.7 KB65 views
Click for full-size image (NGC_5139.jpg)
202.7 KB73 views
Click for full-size image (NGC_3372.jpg)
204.8 KB66 views
Click for full-size image (KeyholeNebula.jpg)
219.1 KB63 views
Old 14-03-2018, 07:14 AM
Benjamin (Ben)

Nice work :-) Like the Leo Triplet especially and looks like you landed on Markarian’s chain in Virgo (M84, M86 etc.). I also went there as an after thought on Saturday!
Old 14-03-2018, 08:02 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

You bagged a lot of stuff in one night, Michael!
Old 14-03-2018, 08:12 AM
Imme (Jon)

Just goes to show what a DSLR, mount, determination and knowledge can do doesn't it.
You continue to produce Mickoid, amazing pictures and all from one night as Rick said......great effort.
There is only one reason I got in to this hobby and that was because I spent a freezing night (did someone say snow?) watching you do your stuff and then saw the results you produce.
Old 14-03-2018, 08:49 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Excellent captures.
I love those galllaxies.
Alex
Old 14-03-2018, 09:29 AM
PKay (Peter)

Busy night!

Great galaxies.

Good ole 550D, can't beat em!
Old 14-03-2018, 12:04 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

You must have given the Esprit a dizzy spell Mick, but made the most of the fine conditions I see. Plenty of detail in Leo's 3 against the odds being relatively lowish in the North and a warm night trying to keep the noise down using the Canon. The Carina image shows up nice with lots of rich colour to highlight its beauty too, well done there. You must be keen to get out there again I bet having seen whats possible for the Virgo Cluster - That looks very interesting, put some time into that one and I'm sure it will come up a treat.

Inspiring astro shots Mick, we're all getting itchy feet no doubt seeing the results you've managed here, keep up your outstanding work.

Anth
Old 14-03-2018, 05:47 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
You bagged a lot of stuff in one night, Michael!
I did but they were all rushed in at the end. My main objective was the Leo Triplet which I spent most of the time on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imme View Post
Just goes to show what a DSLR, mount, determination and knowledge can do doesn't it.
You continue to produce Mickoid, amazing pictures and all from one night as Rick said......great effort.
There is only one reason I got in to this hobby and that was because I spent a freezing night (did someone say snow?) watching you do your stuff and then saw the results you produce.
Thanks Jon, you'll soon be churning out amazing stuff once you sort out all your equipment. Saturday night was a complete opposite to the night we had last winter. Now that was COLD! No noise problems to worry about then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Excellent captures.
I love those galllaxies.
Alex
Thanks Alex, they are so distant and large, it's hard to get your head around what you're actually photographing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
Nice work :-) Like the Leo Triplet especially and looks like you landed on Markarian’s chain in Virgo (M84, M86 etc.). I also went there as an after thought on Saturday!
Well that makes sense Ben because I punched in M86 on the GOTO. How did yours turn out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKay View Post
Busy night!

Great galaxies.

Good ole 550D, can't beat em!
Yes Peter, a very reliable and versatile model. Just wish it had an articulated LED screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth10 View Post
You must have given the Esprit a dizzy spell Mick, but made the most of the fine conditions I see. Plenty of detail in Leo's 3 against the odds being relatively lowish in the North and a warm night trying to keep the noise down using the Canon. The Carina image shows up nice with lots of rich colour to highlight its beauty too, well done there. You must be keen to get out there again I bet having seen whats possible for the Virgo Cluster - That looks very interesting, put some time into that one and I'm sure it will come up a treat.

Inspiring astro shots Mick, we're all getting itchy feet no doubt seeing the results you've managed here, keep up your outstanding work.

Anth
Thank you Anthony, glad you like them, I had my challenges this night but that's what I like about my set up. Simplicity and trying to get the most out of what you have.
I may try the Virgo Cluster when the weather cools down. Those itchy feet don't last long for you Anthony, you've popped on some crackers here recently. You inspire me!