Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 17-11-2020, 12:28 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Autofocuser arrived, but the boxes are...... ?

Hi all,

Finally i got my first ever focusing motor or autofocuser, i really can't wait to use it and see what it can do for me if i know how to operate it properly and do all settings or setup of it.

The package arrived and delivered to me, but it sounds it had kind of accident or smash or squeeze from one side, i shared the image and people told me that it is not acceptable, and some said i have to file it, and few will say to ignore it as it happens often, i don't know who is the responsible here, but i believe strongly that it is the local delivery shipping/delivery company, the sender which is the store i ordered from and domestic US shipping and forward company in US all won't do this, i ordered from them several times and it never happen like this, so the only one i blame is the delivery company, and if that is the case then i don't think i will get any solution, companies here aren't really good as customer services, so i think i can't solve this issue with them here if that is true.

What are you people doing when something like that happens? Should i worry much about it even if the product inside is safe?

https://i.postimg.cc/44F32FVM/DSC4734.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/BvgSThJm/DSC4735.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/W10b3NCL/DSC4737.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/kX0gq6jv/DSC4738.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/ZR5TVrR4/DSC4739.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/3J4xsCZw/DSC4740.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/mrRZFxWc/DSC4741.jpg

Now back to the motor itself, is there any tutorials about how to install it to the focuser and then how to do settings to make it work flawlessly?

Last edited by TareqPhoto; 17-11-2020 at 12:54 AM.
Old 17-11-2020, 12:47 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Tareq,
None of the images are opening......
Old 17-11-2020, 12:55 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Tareq,
None of the images are opening......
Oh, i am so sorry for that, i just now fixed it, hope it is working now, sorry again.
Old 17-11-2020, 10:06 AM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TareqPhoto View Post
The package arrived and delivered to me, but it sounds it had kind of accident or smash or squeeze from one side, i shared the image and people told me that it is not acceptable, and some said i have to file it, and few will say to ignore it as it happens often, i don't know who is the responsible here, but i believe strongly that it is the local delivery shipping/delivery company, the sender which is the store i ordered from and domestic US shipping and forward company in US all won't do this, i ordered from them several times and it never happen like this, so the only one i blame is the delivery company, and if that is the case then i don't think i will get any solution, companies here aren't really good as customer services, so i think i can't solve this issue with them here if that is true.

What are you people doing when something like that happens? Should i worry much about it even if the product inside is safe?
Nothing you can claim against as the product is undamaged. Packaging is meant for protection and it was sucessful. Anyone stating that you should claim it is being pedantic and you won't get anything anyway.

That said, I would contact the vendor just to let them know that it arrived undamaged in a damaged package, send photos. The USPS uses contracts for overseas deliveries. However, once it hits the otherside of customs in Australia, it's up to AusPost and any other local carrier to take care of the package.
Old 17-11-2020, 10:52 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICURMT View Post
Nothing you can claim against as the product is undamaged. Packaging is meant for protection and it was sucessful. Anyone stating that you should claim it is being pedantic and you won't get anything anyway.

That said, I would contact the vendor just to let them know that it arrived undamaged in a damaged package, send photos. The USPS uses contracts for overseas deliveries. However, once it hits the otherside of customs in Australia, it's up to AusPost and any other local carrier to take care of the package.
That is what i expected too, in fact it wasn't the first time i got the packages with damages or kind of squeezed shipping boxes but the products inside are safe and survived, i mean i never get any product damaged from shipping, i just don't know why i tried to make a drama about it now, maybe because i wanted to see people reaction more, or because i saw several videos where people posted about receiving those kind of damages of not good shape boxes regardless how perfect the units inside and they said it is not acceptable, and everyone will have own opinion about it.

At the end i am not looking for wasting my time following perfectionist, someone told me it is better to let it go and not make other people life any worse than what they are already in, and that is matter really, it is amazing to see how people are different in opinions about one case, and i learnt a lot.
Old 17-11-2020, 03:30 PM
AdamJL

random (off topic) question, but are you the same Tareq that used to be (may still be?) on PoTN many years ago?
Old 17-11-2020, 10:26 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
random (off topic) question, but are you the same Tareq that used to be (may still be?) on PoTN many years ago?
Yes, that is still me, and pity that i don't post on POTN much since long time.
Old 18-11-2020, 03:50 PM
AdamJL

thought so.. We joined around the same time, and I just remember you started buying every camera and lens under the sun

I haven't posted there in... well a long time. The amount of pixel peeping that goes on.... honestly drove me away from any sort of photography forums entirely.
Old 18-11-2020, 06:55 PM
JA

Hello Tareq,

Whilst the box appears to have protected the device well in terms of no obvious damage to the electronics (we can't see it properly as it's in plastic in the image), No obvious damage does not mean no damage. The forces that the box was subjected to to cause that degree of crushing on the outside box and to a lesser extent on the inside box, were likely the result of a significant drop possibly crush. Everything in the box would have impacted on objetcs within the box, the bracket and motor in particular. Sensitive electronics, devices, motors may have been damaged, even if on the outside it appears OK. The motor may be mounted internally to a PCB. Motors are relatively heavy compared to the support provided by a PCB mounting. Who knows?

>>>>> Check its operation fully or if you are uncertain or unwilling to accept potential early failure ask for a replacement.

Best
JA
Old 18-11-2020, 10:42 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
thought so.. We joined around the same time, and I just remember you started buying every camera and lens under the sun

I haven't posted there in... well a long time. The amount of pixel peeping that goes on.... honestly drove me away from any sort of photography forums entirely.
That was my reason, i felt like members are just salesmen and promoting, who are not stopping to buy over and over and over again, and funny thing is buying expensive latest gear to image a cat or a duck or normal things, i felt there is nothing they can add or convince me about buying new gear anymore, i won't shoot at ISO 1000000 anyway and i won't need 200mp if that is so, and i even didn't shoot videos so even 10k won't do it for me, so for me it was like show off and make jealousy and discussions became silly after a while.

I lost job, this is part of me stopping to buy, and just getting into astrophotography changed my mind about photography itself, sounds i should start in astrophotography much long time ago then i won't waste much time with photography gear, in all cases i don't regret anyway, and it sounds this GAS effect is still there even in astrophotography, but because of bad situations i am trying to buy wisely now and only something that last for long time even if it is a bit expensive, not just breaking a record in AP gear collection with others.
Old 18-11-2020, 10:48 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Hello Tareq,

Whilst the box appears to have protected the device well in terms of no obvious damage to the electronics (we can't see it properly as it's in plastic in the image), No obvious damage does not mean no damage. The forces that the box was subjected to to cause that degree of crushing on the outside box and to a lesser extent on the inside box, were likely the result of a significant drop possibly crush. Everything in the box would have impacted on objetcs within the box, the bracket and motor in particular. Sensitive electronics, devices, motors may have been damaged, even if on the outside it appears OK. The motor may be mounted internally to a PCB. Motors are relatively heavy compared to the support provided by a PCB mounting. Who knows?

>>>>> Check its operation fully or if you are uncertain or unwilling to accept potential early failure ask for a replacement.

Best
JA
You analysis is nice, but anyone can add something too, i mean my analysis will tell me that the impact wasn't from dropping, but from squeezing it with another boxes, it should be squeezed from both sides, but maybe it got heavy force from one side than another anyway, and with dropping most likely the box won't be in this shape as bellow/accordion.

I have one image only from the forward company showing only one side weighing the package , and it was likely not in that bad shape, so i blame the last station or shipping parcel company, mostly they don't care, i can share that image if you would like, i 1000% doubt that the forward company won't notice it or ignore it, they should tell me, they did before when i bought a telescope as they send me a message of warning kind of.