ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2016, 10:22 PM
andyc (Andy)

Very impressive indeed - something special from the backyard!
Old 03-05-2016, 10:31 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Wow. Kudos Ray for such an original and inspiring image!
Old 04-05-2016, 09:17 AM
rmuhlack (Richard)
Professional Nerd

Impressive Ray ! I wonder to what extent a lucky imaging approach would help (if at all) in addressing the loss of resolution due to seeing? (using one of these new CMOS cameras with sub 1e read noise that we have discussed in other threads)...
Old 04-05-2016, 11:26 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
That is really really impressive. Great effort! LP and all....

Peter
thanks you Peter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc View Post
Very impressive indeed - something special from the backyard!
thanks Andy - there sure is some interesting stuff in the back yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Wow. Kudos Ray for such an original and inspiring image!
hi Rob - thanks very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuhlack View Post
Impressive Ray ! I wonder to what extent a lucky imaging approach would help (if at all) in addressing the loss of resolution due to seeing? (using one of these new CMOS cameras with sub 1e read noise that we have discussed in other threads)...
Thanks Richard. Yes, I hope that one of the new cameras will provide better resolution by using short subs. Bit of an issue with such dim targets though - there will still be a need for moderately long subs to keep even 1 electron read noise under control. I am going to do some experiments soon to see just what resolution advantage is available from short and very short subs.

regards Ray
Old 04-05-2016, 05:02 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I suppose the advantage is largely going to be seen in poorer seeing conditions. At 1e- read noise you may be able to image at about 15s subs and still be RN limited. This will not technically help over a longer sub purely from seeing conditions but it will help against the small accumulation of over/under corrections from the guider.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:47 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I suppose the advantage is largely going to be seen in poorer seeing conditions. At 1e- read noise you may be able to image at about 15s subs and still be RN limited. This will not technically help over a longer sub purely from seeing conditions but it will help against the small accumulation of over/under corrections from the guider.
I think that it will help with the seeing as well Colin. Have found that seeing can sometimes vary quite a bit over short periods. If you are imaging with long subs, that poor data has to be included with the good and you cannot remove it. If you are imaging with 15 second subs, the poor subs can be discarded, which gets rid of data from the bursts of poor seeing. I hope to do an experiment soon to determine how-much/if improvement there can be.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:56 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

That is a good point
Old 04-05-2016, 09:28 PM
rmuhlack (Richard)
Professional Nerd

Ray, what camera/sensor do you plan to test with...?
Old 05-05-2016, 02:54 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuhlack View Post
Ray, what camera/sensor do you plan to test with...?
Hi Richard. The 250Newtonian and icx694. Will use a star field, so can test down to very short exposures. The system samples at 0.91 arcsec/pix and hopefully resolves to much better than that, so can produce usable FWHM measurements down to below 1.8arcsec (and I would be overjoyed to get anything that good)
Old 06-05-2016, 11:28 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post
This stuff is real fun - where else can you see some of the weird predictions of Einstein's theories laid out in such a way. Thankfully photons do not have a use-by date - a few of those coming off my screen as I type are escaping through the window and flying off out into the universe - and they will keep on travelling out there for the rest of time. That is a cool thought. It is also cool that each arc photon that my system detected, popped into being in a star that was over half way across the universe and it happened 8 billion years ago - and then each photon travelled all that way to get here, passing galaxies, stars and dust clouds. While the photons were on their journeys, the sun and earth formed, life started up and humans evolved - eventually one of those humans had a telescope pointed in just the right direction at just the right time and a few of those tiny photons passed down the 10 inch aperture of my scope and then finally gave up their energy and information in my tiny CCD.

regards Ray
Wowsers Ray, your a real light-hearted fan
I imagined a cricketer outfielding, the ball is struck, high and far it flies, meanwhile the legs of a human fires up and scramms across millions of blades of grass,
But Hey, - You Win !!!
Old 06-05-2016, 11:54 PM
Stevec35 (Steve)

Once again extremely impressive Ray! I'm running out of superlatives for your images. The second arc is definitely there I think.

Cheers

Steve
Old 07-05-2016, 11:33 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronobob View Post
Wowsers Ray, your a real light-hearted fan
I imagined a cricketer outfielding, the ball is struck, high and far it flies, meanwhile the legs of a human fires up and scramms across millions of blades of grass,
But Hey, - You Win !!!
Haha..Though you might enjoy a bit poetry..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec35 View Post
Once again extremely impressive Ray! I'm running out of superlatives for your images. The second arc is definitely there I think.

Cheers

Steve
Hi Steve. that is very generous and appreciated. Would be nice to get a bit more data on the second arc.

regards Ray