#1  
Old 20-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Matty P's Avatar
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Matty P is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canberra
Posts: 2,797
Red face Green Tarantula

I'm currently outside imaging the Tarantula Nebula and I just realised that it is going to be green not red. Oh well.... at least I got PHD working.

We'll see how it goes. I'm hoping to collect at least 10 x 6 minute subs.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Matty P's Avatar
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Matty P is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canberra
Posts: 2,797
A modded DSLR would be really nice right about now.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20-09-2008, 11:38 PM
AlexN's Avatar
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

AlexN is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 6,708
You're able to see the stars... Hush about wanting a modded camera

just convert the image to greyscale and say it was captured with a mono camera
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 21-09-2008, 09:03 AM
leon's Avatar
leon
Registered User

leon is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: ballarat
Posts: 10,813
Yea your right Matty it dose come out green, but what the heck, we should all feel lucky that we can actually capture these beautiful images in the first place.

Unless you, and for that matter me, are professionals, enjoy and be happy.

Leon
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 21-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Matty P's Avatar
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Matty P is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canberra
Posts: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
You're able to see the stars... Hush about wanting a modded camera

just convert the image to greyscale and say it was captured with a mono camera
I actually don't mind a Green Tarantula... but a Red one would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Yea your right Matty it dose come out green, but what the heck, we should all feel lucky that we can actually capture these beautiful images in the first place.

Unless you, and for that matter me, are professionals, enjoy and be happy.

Leon
Exactly Leon, I'm greatful that I'm able to do what I'm doing at the moment.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 21-09-2008, 11:53 AM
RB's Avatar
RB (Andrew)
Moderator

RB is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 21,995
Shhhh....just swap the channels over in PS Matty........
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 21-09-2008, 12:03 PM
AlexN's Avatar
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

AlexN is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 6,708
swap the red and green channel, the ditch the green and blue channel...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 21-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Matty P's Avatar
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Matty P is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canberra
Posts: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
Shhhh....just swap the channels over in PS Matty........
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
swap the red and green channel, the ditch the green and blue channel...
Nah, I'm not going to do that. I'll just go buy myself a modded DSLR instead.

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 21-09-2008, 05:01 PM
AlexN's Avatar
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

AlexN is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 6,708
better in the long run to keep your 450D standard and buy a CCD Matty...

Just a thought.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 21-09-2008, 05:38 PM
RB's Avatar
RB (Andrew)
Moderator

RB is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 21,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty P View Post
Nah, I'm not going to do that. I'll just go buy myself a modded DSLR instead.


I agree, you won't know yourself once you get a modded DSLR, you'll be able to buy a second hand one cheaper now.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 22-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Matty P's Avatar
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Matty P is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canberra
Posts: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
better in the long run to keep your 450D standard and buy a CCD Matty...

Just a thought.
I think I am going to stick to DSLR's for the time being as I love how easy they make imaging. A cooled CCD camera will come when I get my 14" RCOS and Paramount ME.

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 22-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Matty P's Avatar
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Matty P is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canberra
Posts: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post

I agree, you won't know yourself once you get a modded DSLR, you'll be able to buy a second hand one cheaper now.
Exactly!

I'm wanting to mod my 450D and purchase a new DSLR for general daytime photography, maybe a 50D.

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 22-09-2008, 09:11 PM
RB's Avatar
RB (Andrew)
Moderator

RB is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 21,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty P View Post
Exactly!

I'm wanting to mod my 450D and purchase a new DSLR for general daytime photography, maybe a 50D.

That's an even better idea Matt.
I've been told by one of the suppliers the 50D will be available here on 29th Sept for $1799.
It's a bit steep I suppose but it will be a great camera for terrestrial and can you imagine combining images from both cameras for astro if you get the 450D modded, even add some 7nm Ha data !

/ I better stop now. LOL
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 22-09-2008, 09:18 PM
RB's Avatar
RB (Andrew)
Moderator

RB is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 21,995
Oh I just realised this was in General Chat, I've moved it to the Cameras, Photography & Imaging Equipment forum.

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 23-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Matty P's Avatar
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Matty P is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canberra
Posts: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
That's an even better idea Matt.
I've been told by one of the suppliers the 50D will be available here on 29th Sept for $1799.
It's a bit steep I suppose but it will be a great camera for terrestrial and can you imagine combining images from both cameras for astro if you get the 450D modded, even add some 7nm Ha data !

/ I better stop now. LOL
That is actually a quite reasonable price for the new 50D IMHO.

That would be amazing if I could combine both images from the 450D and 50D but will that work?

As the 50D has a different resolution to the 450D.

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 23-09-2008, 05:19 PM
AlexN's Avatar
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

AlexN is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 6,708
you could scale the 50D data down and add it to 450D data... I've seen a guy from Europe, who took one set of subs through his C8 SCT and a one set through a ED80 and layered the close up detailed shot of Orion on top of the wide field image.. Was a nice effect... super detailed wide field shot...

Edit : At the price of a 50D and modding the 450D you could get a dedicated cooled CCD... Not wanting to sound like a broken record or anything... but there you have it.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 23-09-2008, 06:25 PM
RB's Avatar
RB (Andrew)
Moderator

RB is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 21,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty P View Post
That is actually a quite reasonable price for the new 50D IMHO.

That would be amazing if I could combine both images from the 450D and 50D but will that work?

As the 50D has a different resolution to the 450D.

Matty I got the price from d-d Photographics.

You can use Images Plus to combine at different resolutions easily.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 10:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
SkyWatcher Australia
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
Meade Australia
Advertisement
Celestron Australia
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement