Old 04-08-2007, 07:36 PM
RB (Andrew)

Rumoured New Canon 40D (Now Official !)

This has probably been the most anticipated and rumoured about Canon DSLR camera since the pre-release days of the Canon 20D.
There's been so much discussion and speculation on the net for so long but now there seems to be a real anticipation that it is ready for release soon.

How soon?
According to some sources Canon is allegedly releasing the 40D on September 26th.

Here's a rundown of the rumoured Canon 40D's Specs:

Sensor - 10 MP self cleaning sensor
1.6x crop factor
3 inch LCD with LiveView
Formats JPG, RAW and sRAW
ISO 100 to 1600 in incremental steps of 1/3
Shooting speed 6.25 fps
Buffer 75 JPG or 17 RAW
Possible DIGIC3

The LiveView feature (which is incorporated in the new 1D MKIII) allows you to focus while viewing a live image on the LCD.
Much like the famous 20Da's live focus feature !
A very handy feature for astro work believe me.

The new DIGIC3 processor is very powerful and a welcome upgrade.
Indeed the new 1D MkIII features two of them, yielding a blistering 10 frames a second burst rate !!! Great for sports action.

The new sRAW is similar to normal RAW but has just 1/4 the resolution and approximately half the file size of standard RAW images.

Three custom functions on the dial will be very handy to allow quick selection of custom function config modes as well as the standard M, Av, Tv, P & Auto modes.

This could all very well be just another rumour so only time will tell.
Sounds like some nice features though.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/Canon_40D.html

http://www.infodigitalcamera.com/blo...mors-continue/

Last edited by RB; 23-08-2007 at 05:03 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:33 PM
h0ughy (David)

ohhhhhhh another toy to play with......some of those functions would be really nice....
Old 04-08-2007, 11:14 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Cool. The more new models they bring out, the cheaper the older 300D and 350D's might be. Then I might be able to afford one of them some day
Old 05-08-2007, 06:10 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Interesting, thanks RB! What will the price point of the body be?

I assume it will fit all the EF type lenses?
Old 05-08-2007, 07:47 AM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Gee it isn't that much of a leap is it, many of the features can already be found in other cameras and STILL 1.6 Crop, C'mon Canon get off your bums and do more full frame cameras like the 5D, NO CROPPING!!!!!. Canon probably came out with yet another type of Mounting system, they seem to like changing it, but I doubt they will now, the EF-S mounting is already good, so why change it. How about a 70-200 L IS lens too just for a standard lens
Old 05-08-2007, 08:18 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
ohhhhhhh another toy to play with......some of those functions would be really nice....
Hee Hee Hee !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaratdragons View Post
Cool. The more new models they bring out, the cheaper the older 300D and 350D's might be. Then I might be able to afford one of them some day
You're not wrong Ken and the 300D is still an awesome camera and because of the pixel count the noise is well controlled, surprisingly so compared to other similar bodies.
I still use mine and love it !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Interesting, thanks RB! What will the price point of the body be?

I assume it will fit all the EF type lenses?
Don't know about price, I'd say it's going to replace the 30D so it will come in at a similar PP that the 30D did when it was released.
It's interesting to note that there was a recent Cash Back offer of $100 on the 400D and $200 on the 30D which finished last month I think.

Mind you, you can pick up a new 400D body for $869 now.

The entire EF and EF-S lens range will fit the new camera if it is a x1.6 crop APS-C sensor.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Adrian-H
Naturalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
Gee it isn't that much of a leap is it, many of the features can already be found in other cameras and STILL 1.6 Crop, C'mon Canon get off your bums and do more full frame cameras like the 5D, NO CROPPING!!!!!. Canon probably came out with yet another type of Mounting system, they seem to like changing it, but I doubt they will now, the EF-S mounting is already good, so why change it. How about a 70-200 L IS lens too just for a standard lens
its just the replacement to the 30D, so it must be a 1.6x crop, anyways whats wrong with croped sensors? personally for what i do im very happy with a croped sensor.

ill be happy if it dosent tempt me, i dont think that will be an easy task, as i feel quite right at home with my 30D.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Nothing wrong with cropped sensors, but it would be nice to have more uncropped sensors on the market.
Old 20-08-2007, 04:42 AM
Ingo

Canon 40D Leaked

Amazon leaked the specs of the 40D today.

40D: 10.1 megapixel, APS-C sized, self-cleaning CMOS sensor; 30% faster, 9 point AF; DIGIC III image processing; ISO 3200 max sensitivity; improved 3.0-inch LCD with Enhanced Live View; 6.5fps continuous shooting (bursting 75 Large/Fine JPEGs or 17 RAW images); 35-zone metering system; and CF card storage, natch. All in a body just slightly larger than the EOS 30D while tipping the scale with 1.4-ounces (40-grams).

Sounds good. Nikon needs to release something to compete or they're going to be out of the professional business.
Old 23-08-2007, 04:59 AM
RB (Andrew)

The Canon 40D is now officially on the Canon Australia web site.

There's also a 40D demo on You Tube by a Canon Rep (check out the Live Preview Function ).

Also announce is the new M80 Photo viewer and storage device which has an 80 GB H.D and can store images directly from CF/SD cards and plays movie and mp3 files. It has the same layout of function buttons as the EOS camera range and uses the BP-511A battery that the 20D/5D/300Ds use.

Also, as mentioned, the new EOS 1Ds Mk III with it's full frame 21MP sensor is officially released.

Lots of new toys which will help bring prices down on the previous models.
The old 400D is now selling at some places for $929 body only.
The old 30D is $1399 body only.

Hopefully these might drop further.

Last edited by RB; 23-08-2007 at 05:25 AM.
Old 23-08-2007, 08:27 AM
rogerg (Roger)

The 40D looks like another slight improvement on the previous model. It would be good to have 'live view mode', a self cleaning sensor, and 3.0" screen.

I'm disapointed with the M80 Photo Viewer. I've been waiting for new developments in this type of technology to upgrade from my Creative Zen Vision W wihch I bought for this purpose, but with just a 3.7" screen compared to the 3.0" screen on the back of the camera, and a price that is well over that of the similar Epson products and over twice the Zen W, I just don't see the point appart from handling of the CR2 format. Certainly not worth that price.

Interesting.
Old 29-08-2007, 12:45 PM
jj78

I want one!!

I came accross this forum while looking to buy the new Eos 40D.
I love new gadgets and I want one.
I was looking for the cheapest place to buy one.
Has to be from an Ozzy seller because I don't want to have to send O.S
for servicing.
I have so far found one as low as for $1600
http://nobetaplace.com/store/product...cat=310&page=2

Can anyone direct me to an Ozzy seller that sells them below $1600 ?
Old 31-08-2007, 07:03 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

These new 40D features from Digital Camera Reviews look interesting for astro photography. Hmm, might need to ditch the Pentax and move on to Canon?
  • New Live View mode (similar to 1D Mark III, but enhanced)
  • Live View mode allows AF by pressing AF-ON button (drops mirror to focus)
  • Live View mode offers 5x/10x magnification to aid manual focusing
Cheers

Dennis
Old 31-08-2007, 07:20 AM
h0ughy (David)

Well I played with the new camera yesterday at NDF camera house here in Newcastle. It is heavy –much beefier than the pentax k10D. the screen is huge and the button features have changed dramatically. I do not like the rotating selector at the rear, which is very awkward to use. The live view function looks great - although I do have some reservations about it. In manual mode it was difficult to actually see if the object was in sharp focusUsing the zoom function after selecting . The live view mode you hear and feel the mirror slap up out of the way, then you see the streaming live video. Its responsiveness in auto mode is fantastic. It is a vast improvement over and above the 350/400D, and I can see heaps of these being dumped in the rush to upgrade. The body is about 2K, with 17-70 IS lens about 3K

I can still live with my 400D and cooled 350D at the moment.
Old 31-08-2007, 08:16 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
.. the screen is huge and the button features have changed dramatically. I do not like the rotating selector at the rear, which is very awkward to use. The live view function looks great - although I do have some reservations about it. In manual mode it was difficult to actually see if the object was in sharp focusUsing the zoom function after selecting . The live view mode you hear and feel the mirror slap up out of the way, then you see the streaming live video. Its responsiveness in auto mode is fantastic. It is a vast improvement over and above the 350/400D, and I can see heaps of these being dumped in the rush to upgrade. The body is about 2K, with 17-70 IS lens about 3K
Houghy the rotating dial is a big bonus, it's on the 20D/5D and I love it.
You can scroll through the menu much easier, it just takes a few goes before you get used to it.

The live view will also be a big help, if it's anything like the 20Da's live focus.
At night you'll find it much easier to find focus on a star, you can tell instantly when the star snaps into focus and at either side of focus you will see the CA of the lens/scope

Also I find if you're in manual mode, you really need to have the correct settings so you can see the object to focus, at night it should work perfectly on bright stars or the moon. On eclipse night it was a real treat using live preview to get focus on the moon, the craters just popped into view.

The best price I've found is a tad over AU $1700.

Now if only I can get Central DS to modify one making it a Cooled Ha enabled 40D.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:54 PM
acropolite (Phil)

I agree with RB on the rotating dial, one of the most useful features on the camera.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:56 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
I agree with RB on the rotating dial, one of the most useful features on the camera.
well I like to push a button and make it work rather than twidle and twirl. guess you cant take the pentax out of me

but then every one has personal choices, thats why I drive a subaru, rather than a ford or holden.

I suppose you can grow to get used to one????