Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #21  
Old 12-08-2019, 03:34 PM
Decimus's Avatar
Decimus (Richard)
Registered User

Decimus is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hobart TAS
Posts: 212
Stunning, ethereal beauty and totally different from anything I have seen on IIS, Mike. Congrats on this superb piece of imaging!
Cheers,
Richard
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-08-2019, 04:03 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 14,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimus View Post
Stunning, ethereal beauty and totally different from anything I have seen on IIS, Mike. Congrats on this superb piece of imaging!
Cheers,
Richard
Wow, that's extremely nice to hear Richard I hoped it would be a bit different and intriguing, there are some very interesting objects and features up there to image if you look for them

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-08-2019, 07:00 PM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,296
That's a really strong image
Reminiscent of tidal flats with alluvial deposits on the sand, dotted with the odd washed up flotsam of an oyster and a jellyfish.
Interesting how we all see different stuff in these images.
Masterful work, completely original - very well framed & composed, sharp as a tack and a joy to behold, that's a GOLD award from me!
(sorry, been judging professional images for the past three days )
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-08-2019, 08:41 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 14,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
That's a really strong image
Reminiscent of tidal flats with alluvial deposits on the sand, dotted with the odd washed up flotsam of an oyster and a jellyfish.
Interesting how we all see different stuff in these images.
Masterful work, completely original - very well framed & composed, sharp as a tack and a joy to behold, that's a GOLD award from me!
(sorry, been judging professional images for the past three days )
Ha!..yeah, I totally see your scene...in fact can't unsee it now

Thanks for the kind words, glad you enjoyed the view

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 13-08-2019, 09:25 PM
willik (Willik)
Registered User

willik is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Perth WA
Posts: 677
There are a lot of ghosts up there that looks cool mike
Martin
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 14-08-2019, 09:57 AM
topheart
Registered User

topheart is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cairns
Posts: 899
Hi Mike,
Congratulations on another landmark image!

Stunning!

I love the originality of this capture and framing.
All that kangaroo dodging was worth it!



Cheers,
Tim
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 14-08-2019, 01:18 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 14,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by willik View Post
There are a lot of ghosts up there that looks cool mike
Martin
Yes Martin, seems plenty of features in the sky can look a little ghostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by topheart View Post
Hi Mike,
Congratulations on another landmark image!

Stunning!

I love the originality of this capture and framing.
All that kangaroo dodging was worth it!



Cheers,
Tim
Cheers Tim, yeah I recon it was too

Mike
ps..not looong nooow
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 14-08-2019, 04:55 PM
RobF's Avatar
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

RobF is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 5,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I agree with your observations on dust colour too. There is the darker redder dusty regions and then there is the bluer stuff like various ghost nebulas and the cirrus stuff in both of the images you've posted.

I'm attaching another random part of the sky that shows the same thing. It doesn't contain the same dusty regions like in the LDN catalog but more like the cirrus stuff and it is EVERYWHERE in the images I'm currently working on. It is in every single patch of sky within 20 of the Milky Way in every direction.
No wonder we can never get decent images from Sol. Its all that miky way dust wandering around that needs cleaning up
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 14-08-2019, 04:56 PM
RobF's Avatar
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

RobF is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 5,510
Thought provoking image Mike, and love swimming around in the big field.

Interesting to hear of the trials and tribulations collecting the data in the middle of winter too - well done on both counts!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 14-08-2019, 09:03 PM
rustigsmed's Avatar
rustigsmed (Russell)
Registered User

rustigsmed is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mornington Peninsula, Australia
Posts: 3,167
and WHOA!! haven't been around the traps for a while and check in to see this cracking image on IIS. awesome work Mike - i really think this is one of your best. framing, uniqueness (hard these days!), and appears super deep. great job!!

Rusty
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 14-08-2019, 10:46 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 14,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
No wonder we can never get decent images from Sol. Its all that miky way dust wandering around that needs cleaning up
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Thought provoking image Mike, and love swimming around in the big field.

Interesting to hear of the trials and tribulations collecting the data in the middle of winter too - well done on both counts!
Thanks Rob, I still have the fire, at least I don't have to set everything up anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
and WHOA!! haven't been around the traps for a while and check in to see this cracking image on IIS. awesome work Mike - i really think this is one of your best. framing, uniqueness (hard these days!), and appears super deep. great job!!

Rusty
Thanks a lot Russell and welcome back

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 15-08-2019, 12:13 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

LewisM is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere in the cosmos...
Posts: 9,326
I'm disappointed in the image Mike - WHERE'S THE JET?????????

You are a braver - or thicker - (actually...hmmmm ) man than me Gungha Din. Soon as the Sun goes down lately I am curled up with the missus on the couch. Whipped I tell ya.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 15-08-2019, 12:56 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 14,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I'm disappointed in the image Mike - WHERE'S THE JET?????????
Oh thereeee'll be one in there somewhere....

Quote:
You are a braver - or thicker - (actually...hmmmm ) man than me Gungha Din. Soon as the Sun goes down lately I am curled up with the missus on the couch. Whipped I tell ya.
Is that whipped or..?.. Wimp?

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 15-08-2019, 01:30 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

LewisM is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere in the cosmos...
Posts: 9,326
I was going to say interpolated and extrapolated colour noise but I thought better of it
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 15-08-2019, 02:01 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 14,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I was going to say interpolated and extrapolated colour noise but I thought better of it
Ha ha...go back to gazing in that pond
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 15-08-2019, 08:52 PM
peter_4059's Avatar
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

peter_4059 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 4,049
Love the flickr view Mike. Inspiring.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 15-08-2019, 09:24 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 14,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
Love the flickr view Mike. Inspiring.
Great to hear Pete

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 23-08-2019, 03:01 PM
Paul Haese's Avatar
Paul Haese
Registered User

Paul Haese is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 9,409
An expansive field and just missing capturing an object I got independent co-discovery of a few years back (named PA161) It is located in the top almost 45 degees from Barnard's galaxy and just out of your field of view. It is a planetary nebula of considerable size (nearly as large as Barnards Galaxy in angular terms). Might be worth doing a mosaic panel just above.

As to the image, great colour and detail. Nicely done Mike. Love the layers in the thick dust cloud. The amount of IFN in the field is incredible.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 23-08-2019, 10:44 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 14,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
An expansive field and just missing capturing an object I got independent co-discovery of a few years back (named PA161) It is located in the top almost 45 degees from Barnard's galaxy and just out of your field of view. It is a planetary nebula of considerable size (nearly as large as Barnards Galaxy in angular terms). Might be worth doing a mosaic panel just above.

As to the image, great colour and detail. Nicely done Mike. Love the layers in the thick dust cloud. The amount of IFN in the field is incredible.
Thanks Paul, it's a area of crazy swaths of faint dust, the giant P shaped piece was just too cool to not adjust the rig for in order to frame it with Barnards Galaxy. I almost didn't bother with the rig adjustment and was going to plonk the giant P more centrally in the frame...glad I didn't, I think this may be a unique framing even?...

If I had framed The galaxy in the centre sounds like I might have caught that PA161..?

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 24-08-2019, 11:11 AM
Paul Haese's Avatar
Paul Haese
Registered User

Paul Haese is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 9,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Thanks Paul, it's a area of crazy swaths of faint dust, the giant P shaped piece was just too cool to not adjust the rig for in order to frame it with Barnards Galaxy. I almost didn't bother with the rig adjustment and was going to plonk the giant P more centrally in the frame...glad I didn't, I think this may be a unique framing even?...

If I had framed The galaxy in the centre sounds like I might have caught that PA161..?

Mike
The framing is good, I did something similar when I imaged NGC6822 with the FSQ, albeit I did not have the same orientation or even know that P shaped piece even existed. Mind you I would have done a multi mosaic to capture what you have got here.

Yes if you had centered the galaxy you would have captured PA161, but only in OIII. When you mentioned you had taken OIII I immediately started looking to see if you had captured it. I did a quick plate solve and found it was just off your field of view to the top. It is slightly visible in Ha too but highly visible in OIII. It can't be seen in LRGB at all. It might appear brighter at your scale though with the concentration of photons to each pixel.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 05:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
Celestron Australia
Advertisement
SkyWatcher Australia
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
Meade Australia
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement