Old 14-11-2007, 05:54 AM
I.C.D (Ian)

Tips on using neximager

G'Day All Stargazer

Does anyone have any tips to get started using the neximager and what other equipment I may need before I start?
1. Do I start taking imager of land object to get use the equipment before I go onto night imaging
2. Or do I go straight onto night imaging

Old 14-11-2007, 06:04 AM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
G'Day All Stargazer

Does anyone have any tips to get started using the neximager and what other equipment I may need before I start?
1. Do I start taking imager of land object to get use the equipment before I go onto night imaging
2. Or do I go straight onto night imaging
Hi,

Sometimes it is hard to obtain focus first night out and it takes a while to get used to the software. So i would setup in the back yard and practice getting a terrestrial image on a distant object so that i new roughly where the focus point was and had some idea how to use the software.

Paul
Old 16-11-2007, 04:48 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Ian,

Here's my tips:
K3CCD tools is better capture software than Amcap and you can download a free version that works well with the neximager. The advantage of K3 is it has a level meter that helps to get the exposure correct. There is also another piece of software called WCCTRL that improves the control of the exposure settings that works in conjunction with K3.

For focusing I use a hartman mask and focus on a bright star. There are instructions on how to make one on this forum. I used an old piece of cardboard and it works fine.

If you shoot at more than 10 fps the camera compresses the info to get it through the USB1 connection so don't exceed 10 fps. 5 fps is best if seeing is good. I use the I420 codec.

Keep the gain below 50% if possible as increasing gain increases the graininess of the data. Don't adjust the brightness (leave at 50%). Adjust the shutter/gain to get the correct exposure. I leave the white balance on Auto and the Sat/Contrast settings at default 50%.

If you want to get a bigger scale image then a barlow is easiest way to go although getting the object you want to image into the frame becomes difficult so ensure your finder scope is well aligned.

I bought a good book by Robert Reeves "Introduction to Webcam Astrophotography" from Bintel that goes into a lot of detail.

Good luck,

Peter