Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy Books and Media
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 18-07-2008, 11:35 PM
bipedalhumanoid (James)

According to the web site the weekend halftime show is presented by Debbie Spillane and Scott Wales. Where does Helen Thomas come into the picture in relation to that programme?
Old 19-07-2008, 05:49 PM
bipedalhumanoid (James)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipedalhumanoid View Post
According to the web site the weekend halftime show is presented by Debbie Spillane and Scott Wales. Where does Helen Thomas come into the picture in relation to that programme?
Also, how 'new' is the show? On the web site there are links to 12 months worth of pod casts.
Old 19-07-2008, 07:34 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Its already there ...

Hi Bipedalhumanoid,

Bipedalhumanoid wrote:

"Where does Helen Thomas come into the picture in relation to that programme?"

and

"Also, how 'new' is the show? On the web site there are links to 12 months worth of pod casts."

The answers to both can be read in the last substantive post containing the material in red from the ABC source. To extract them:

"Audience Research sounds very important, but it’s actually the junior office assistant to NewsRadio Manager Helen Thomas."

and

"StarStuff is Australia’s most successful astronomy program which has been going for nine years with over 400 episodes under its belt, and which as an hour long program every Sunday night consistently rated better than 8 per cent and even the Saturday night replay the following week still got better than 6 per cent according to The ABC’s own national ratings figures."

Matter for you if you want to go down the petition path but in my experience the best way is via personal snail mail or email. Up to you entirely.

Best,

Les D
Old 19-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Glenhuon (Bill)

I did give some thought to sending an email, but decided it was pointless. The "Dumbing Down" disease has obviously reached epidemic proportions in the ABC as well. Sad, but that's the way our society is nowadays. Bread and Circuses (or in this case Beer and Balls) did not die out with the Roman Empire after all, unfortunately.

Bill
Old 21-07-2008, 06:46 AM
bipedalhumanoid (James)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcles View Post
Hi Bipedalhumanoid,

Bipedalhumanoid wrote:

"Where does Helen Thomas come into the picture in relation to that programme?"

and

"Also, how 'new' is the show? On the web site there are links to 12 months worth of pod casts."

The answers to both can be read in the last substantive post containing the material in red from the ABC source. To extract them:

"Audience Research sounds very important, but it’s actually the junior office assistant to NewsRadio Manager Helen Thomas."

and

"StarStuff is Australia’s most successful astronomy program which has been going for nine years with over 400 episodes under its belt, and which as an hour long program every Sunday night consistently rated better than 8 per cent and even the Saturday night replay the following week still got better than 6 per cent according to The ABC’s own national ratings figures."

Matter for you if you want to go down the petition path but in my experience the best way is via personal snail mail or email. Up to you entirely.

Best,

Les D
Hi Les,

Those questions were not in relation to star stuff but rather the weekend halftime programme. Just trying to get my wording right. I don't want to refer to weekend halftime as a 'new' show if it is not and I don't want to say Helen Thomas 'presents' it if she does not.

As for the 'petition path' it isn't necessary to choose one method over the other. I have emailed news radio and intend to write to Mark Scott and my federal MP (who also happens to be the current treasurer). I don't see how it could be a bad thing to have a petition as well.

rgds,

James
Old 22-07-2008, 10:36 PM
HumanaScope (Daniel)
Watcher

Post Letters to Newspapers

Hi all,

I've been involved in the ABC Communities thread about this atrocity and the conclusion has come down to trying to shame the three ABC radio execs that have it in for StarStuff (and LUV footy it seems instead) by getting Letters to the Editor published in the major dailies.

Has anyone got anything published yet?

I've just fired off about five. Heaven knows what will result.

Old 22-07-2008, 10:57 PM
HumanaScope (Daniel)
Watcher

Post Getting the Minister to take notice

"Actually looking at the text of the 200 word summary of the issues I got together for the Editorial pages the sentence that leaps out is: " There is evidence the Federal Government has been misled about the whole matter."

Anything MORE we've got yet on this aspect - about BLOCK programming and communication with the Minister's office?
Old 22-07-2008, 11:50 PM
bipedalhumanoid (James)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanaScope View Post
Hi all,

I've been involved in the ABC Communities thread about this atrocity and the conclusion has come down to trying to shame the three ABC radio execs that have it in for StarStuff (and LUV footy it seems instead) by getting Letters to the Editor published in the major dailies.

Has anyone got anything published yet?

I've just fired off about five. Heaven knows what will result.

Good Idea. I tried to write to the courier mail but could not complete the process of filling out the form because it requires me to provide an Australian address and phone number. I no longer live in Australia. I'll send something off in the snail mail but it will take two weeks to get there and when it does they might not publish it purely because I am not based in Australia (makes it difficult for them to verify who I am).

Politicians might not be interested in receiving my mail either as I am no longer on the electoral role

...But try I will!
Old 23-07-2008, 02:26 AM
HumanaScope (Daniel)
Watcher

Thumbs up

Well in situations like this doing anything is better than nothing.

Hopefully more local residents are making the effort to write to the papers and the Head of ABC and the Minister.

It is so interesting that StarStuff has been under the gun before and was looked at in Senate committee.

How important is the Cosmos? Especially when compared to a game that "always has four quarters and two halfs."

All the best.
Old 23-07-2008, 11:13 PM
Still_searching

Save Star Stuff Petition.

I have started a petition on-line at

http://www.gopetition.com.au/online/20716.html

Hopefully this will get enough focus to have the program back up and running. Needs everyone to support it though.
Old 24-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Davros (Lauren)
stumblebum

Signature one
Old 24-07-2008, 12:49 AM
bipedalhumanoid (James)

I've also signed and have pasted this link in a few places.

http://www.gopetition.com.au/petitions/save-abc-news-radio-starstuff-program.html
Old 24-07-2008, 07:36 AM
HumanaScope (Daniel)
Watcher

Post Petition & letters

Excellent petition, you have my signature.

Everyone also please get letters to the Editors, the Minister's office, and the Head of ABC.
Old 24-07-2008, 11:07 AM
rogerg (Roger)

Not that I don't support a petition, but I find it a bit odd that given the circumstances the petition has these conditions against it:

1) Stuart Gary is maintained as the program producer and presenter.

2) The program format remains unchanged.

Why do I find that odd? Well if we're wanting something like this back isn't it worth making it easy as possible for the ABC to return the show? Ie, least conditions. I like Stuart Gary, but what if half the reason it got axed was ABC not getting along with Stuart Gary? And who's to say someone else wouldn't do an equal job? And I liked the format, but who's to say there's not a better format which is easier to be implemented but still gets 30+mins dedicated to astronomy/science?

Roger.
Old 24-07-2008, 11:13 AM
DistroMan (Trevor)
Silly Person

If'n ya want a dollar, ask for two.
Old 24-07-2008, 05:41 PM
bipedalhumanoid (James)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerg View Post
Not that I don't support a petition, but I find it a bit odd that given the circumstances the petition has these conditions against it:

1) Stuart Gary is maintained as the program producer and presenter.

2) The program format remains unchanged.

Why do I find that odd? Well if we're wanting something like this back isn't it worth making it easy as possible for the ABC to return the show? Ie, least conditions. I like Stuart Gary, but what if half the reason it got axed was ABC not getting along with Stuart Gary? And who's to say someone else wouldn't do an equal job? And I liked the format, but who's to say there's not a better format which is easier to be implemented but still gets 30+mins dedicated to astronomy/science?

Roger.
I proposed some wording for a petition nearly a week ago and requested that people comment on it and make suggestions. I didn't get a single response. If you wanted to have some input into the wording of a petition you could have done so then.

I'm just glad somebody took the initiative and I support this petition 100%.
Old 24-07-2008, 05:48 PM
HumanaScope (Daniel)
Watcher

Arrow What value 8 years service to Astronomy?

Stuart Gary has given so much service to the fields of Astronomy and Cosmology and broadcasting that he ought to be in line for an Order of Australia award rather than being summarily cast off into the shadows.

If his services had been in any sport then he would have been up for interview today on News Radio as a VIP, as Anne Fulward was doing with some ex footy player "who should stand for mayor of Melbourne" because of his services to sport and sports broadcasting.

StarStuff is a rare beast in the Australian media landscape and as such would always be in the sights of the tall poppy mowers.

It's very important that any campaign to get it back strive to get it back as it was before axing without changes that could leave it open to be killed off later when the heat is off management.

I've seen this kind of thing too many times before. It applies in media and all areas of public life:

Favourite tactic 1 of bureaucrats out to kill (so it stays killed) a popular program: allow it back but with one of their people in charge. Let them run it on to the rocks and close it down as a failure. THEREFORE: Stuart Gary needs to be in charge of his own hard worked for creation.

I would wonder about moving it to RN as others have suggested. There is a whole well established Science culture at RN that may very well not appreciate a new fish in their pond. We need Mr Gary's input before that move is suggested.

Why not have it stay where it is with guarantees of it's longevity? Why should the wishes of the trio who axed it be respected when they have demonstrated such contempt for the listeners and obviously prefer football?

Favourite tactic 2 of bureaucrats out to kill (so it stays killed) a popular program: allow it back, but deprive it of exposure so that it loses some support base and so can then be killed off later on those grounds.

For this reason I would oppose it just being turned into a Podcast program. This would reduce the programs profile massively for NO GOOD REASON. StarStuff was already defying the credo that "local production is expensive production." Why shouldn't it be allowed air time?

This is the only point I'd change in the petition. But in an incredibly difficult fight like this the point is far less important than the clear message of the petition and I urge people to sign it. A lot can be done with a clear demonstration of support like that.

As it stands there's going to have to be a LOT more ruckus made before the people responsible for StarStuff's axing relent and allow Stuart Gary back on the air.

They are no doubt hoping that he will be suffocated professionally by passing time and enforced invisibility and forced to "just go away..."

Every action to get news of this travesty out is so necessary.

Last edited by HumanaScope; 24-07-2008 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 24-07-2008, 06:27 PM
bipedalhumanoid (James)

STAR STUFF IS BACK!

At least in pod cast format on ABC science online. A new episode was released today

http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/science/...ff20080724.mp3

You can subscribe here:
http://www.abc.net.au/science/podcast/starstuff.xml

And get a description here:
http://www.abc.net.au/science/feeds/

I agree with humanscope that we should continue with the petition and get the show back on the air... but we should also support the podcast. Sign the petition, subscribe to the podcast and write many letters!

Last edited by bipedalhumanoid; 24-07-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 24-07-2008, 06:52 PM
HumanaScope (Daniel)
Watcher

Thumbs up Thank Heavens for that!

YIPEEE!!!!

Have a look at the spelling on the feed pages like at:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/podcast/starstuff.xml

"StarStuff with Sturat Gary"

Hmmm... has a sense of hurriedness about it... but hopefully they will spell check soon...

LISTENING to the Podcast, it is the same Stuart Gary and StarStuff back.

This is a happy day!

back from the (mercifully short) wilderness excursion Stuart!

We will need to keep supporting this show.

Please sign the petition still!

http://www.gopetition.com.au/petitions/save-abc-news-radio-starstuff-program.html

Last edited by HumanaScope; 24-07-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 24-07-2008, 08:29 PM
bipedalhumanoid (James)

What's wrong with the spelling? I was quite fond of today's exploration of the soloar system.