Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 12-01-2010, 12:27 AM
toc (Tim)

HEQ5 - any CHEAP way to get EQMOD functionality?

Last Friday I purchased a HEQ5 mount - its paid for and probably on it way.

Looking at the pictures of the mount though, its clear that this model cannot work with EQMOD - it has the old style hobby box handcontroller, rather than the syntrek one.

Looking around on the net, it seems that the upgrade price ($1000) to synscan makes the the mount a very very bad deal

All I want is EQMOD functionality - is there any cheaper way to get this, other than forking out $1000 for a controller I wont use?

Not blaming anyone but myself here - should have done my research!
Old 12-01-2010, 04:26 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

... grrr

Last edited by bmitchell82; 12-01-2010 at 04:28 AM. Reason: bloody computer...
Old 12-01-2010, 04:27 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

hey mate, the HEQ5 is extremly similar looking to the EQ6, and has always had goto functionality. if the mount has a DB9/RS232 port then you don't need the syntrek hand controller, all you need is a connection that will turn DB9/RS232 signals to USB and vis versa. all the controller serves to do is pass commands though to the box.

My reccomendation to you though is to wait till the mount arrives then assess the situation.

If it does have the ports i have spoken about its as simple as getting a cable called EQDir or equivalent.

if it does not then im sorry to say it will not work.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:50 AM
asterisk (Geoff)

EQMOD functionality without hc? Yes. Do as Brendan suggests and check out the mount for a DB9/RS232 port and if there, have a look at

http://www.store.shoestringastronomy...roducts_eq.htm

I bought the EQDIR Interface Module and the 6 foot male-female DB-9 extension cable. Landed AU$68. Much cheaper than the cost of the hc.

Cheers
Old 12-01-2010, 09:32 AM
toc (Tim)

Thanks guys I will let you know how it goes...
Old 12-01-2010, 02:47 PM
toc (Tim)

I guess its not all bad - There is a simple mod to the handbox that will at least give me an autoguider port. (Im assuming a mod like this will work with the HEQ5)

http://www.andysshotglass.com/SVP_Op_intro.html

I can then just use my Celestron neximage and Dell laptop, or perhaps fork out for an Orion Autoguider.

That will at least keep me busy
Old 12-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

EQMOD only works with the Syntrek/Synscan GOTO version of the HEQ5. This is the model with the motherboard and motors from at least the Syntrek controller.
Previous models without GOTO unfortunately need the motherboard/ motor upgrade.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:42 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterisk View Post
EQMOD functionality without hc? Yes. Do as Brendan suggests and check out the mount for a DB9/RS232 port and if there, have a look at

http://www.store.shoestringastronomy...roducts_eq.htm

I bought the EQDIR Interface Module and the 6 foot male-female DB-9 extension cable. Landed AU$68. Much cheaper than the cost of the hc.

Cheers
The EQDIR dongle works well. But with it, you also need a long serial cable back to your PC plus (if your PC is a newish one and doesn't have a serial port) a USB-Serial converter. Getting expensive.
Instead, I use a Bluetooth dongle on the PC and a BluEQ dongle that is both a DSUSB and a Bluetooth/serial converter in-one. Saves a lot and avoids cable clutter. Works well.
Peter
Old 12-01-2010, 07:33 PM
toc (Tim)

Looking on the net for HEQ5 related information, I found the following page:

http://astronomie.rajiva.de/astronomie/smstv.html

Anyone know much about the Rajiva MCU update?
Old 12-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I believe it's a good upgrade. popular in Europe.
BUT....
I don't believe it is compatible with the ASCOM/EQMOD......
Old 12-01-2010, 08:15 PM
rajiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by toc View Post
Anyone know much about the Rajiva MCU update?
yes, me.

The Update will give you Goto, ST-4 and LX200 Guiding, PEC and much more. The only thing you do not get is fast slewing rates as the original motors can't go faster as about 40x siderial. You can find a ASCOM driver on the ASCOM Standars website. It's called as a driver for the LittleFoot Controller but it will work with the MCU Update as well.

Edit:
BTW, even a PEC Tool similar to PemPro is available free of charge.

Clear skies!
Rajiva
Old 12-01-2010, 08:41 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
The EQDIR dongle works well. But with it, you also need a long serial cable back to your PC plus (if your PC is a newish one and doesn't have a serial port) a USB-Serial converter. Getting expensive.
Instead, I use a Bluetooth dongle on the PC and a BluEQ dongle that is both a DSUSB and a Bluetooth/serial converter in-one. Saves a lot and avoids cable clutter. Works well.
Peter
You don't have to go the serial / dongle path... several suppliers make USB EQDIR cables... see the vendirs page: http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/reqindex.html I use the one from Astronics.

Al.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:03 PM
toc (Tim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajiva View Post
yes, me.

The Update will give you Goto, ST-4 and LX200 Guiding, PEC and much more. The only thing you do not get is fast slewing rates as the original motors can't go faster as about 40x siderial. You can find a ASCOM driver on the ASCOM Standars website. It's called as a driver for the LittleFoot Controller but it will work with the MCU Update as well.

Edit:
BTW, even a PEC Tool similar to PemPro is available free of charge.

Clear skies!
Rajiva
Hi Rajiva

Just a few quick questions:

- How does the GOTO work exactly? I presume its a normal 2 or 3 star alignment procedure? (Im familar with autostar, and synscan)

- What is your opinion on the original drives in the HEQ5? are they accurate enough for long exposure and high magnification planetary work? (I only ask this because I get the feeling from reading the EQMOD docs that the newer motors are more accurate)

I have a lot of reading and research to do so I don't ask any more stupid questions
Old 12-01-2010, 11:55 PM
rajiva

Quote:
- How does the GOTO work exactly? I presume its a normal 2 or 3 star alignment procedure? (Im familar with autostar, and synscan)
no, there is no 2 or 3 star alignment, you just sync to a known object and you are ready to go. As the MCU Update uses LX200 for communication you can use almost any star programm for that task.

Quote:
- What is your opinion on the original drives in the HEQ5?
I always recommend to see what you have before thinking about spending money.
The motors, except that they can't reach fast slewing rates, are fine. The attached gearboxes are maybe not as good as you need them for your requirements. You can exchange the gearboxes with the Conrad Gearboxes IF, and just IF, you find out the original gearboxes are bad. I know many starfriends working with the original gearboxes and creating great pictures with them.

Quote:
I only ask this because I get the feeling from reading the EQMOD docs that the newer motors are more accurate
The motors are surely not more accurate then the original ones, but it is difficult to compare motor/gearbox sets that differ that much. The SynScan Sanyo Denki Motors are made for fast slewing rates and you need a controller that support low reduction ratios of ~4,7:1. On the other side you have the original Motors that uses the high gearbox ratio of ~132:1 to get the required smoothness. If the original gearboxes are not bad, i.e. producing additional clocking errors, both systems are fine as long slewing speed is not the point.

If you like high slewing rates, i.e. fast Goto, the CHEAP Story ends here because you need a new controller AND new motors.

I have a EQ-6 my self and I worked with the MCU Update a long time. But fast Goto come in my mind and so i switched over to the Sanyo Denki Motors and a new controller. As I do not like to be forced to have a PC with me and without EQMOD I see no special feature in the SynScan controller I build my own system to replace the original electronic.

CS
Rajiva
Old 13-01-2010, 06:53 AM
lookus

hi. sorry to hijack the thread, but can i please just ask a few questions?

am i to understand that if i use rajiva's mcu update on the heq5 mount, i will be able to connect to a pc and thereby be able to use eqmod???( once i get the eqdir device of course)

i have no interest in a hand controller but i am using eqmod with my eq6 pro and to use it also on the heq5 without spending $1000 on the synscan is not an option for me as i don't want the handset, just the pc connection.

can someone (maybe rajiva) please confirm or clarify?
Old 13-01-2010, 07:57 AM
rajiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookus View Post
am i to understand that if i use rajiva's mcu update on the heq5 mount, i will be able to connect to a pc
yes, including Goto, serial Guiding, PEC and more.

Quote:
and thereby be able to use eqmod???
No. The MCU Update uses the LX200 protocol and there is no need for EQMOD at all.

Clear skies!
Rajiva
Old 13-01-2010, 09:02 AM
netwolf

Similar or original MCU replacment project. I recall seeing this page some time ago when i was researching the Eq6 mount. Back then the Synscan goto kit was an upgrade option.

http://projects.gbdt.com.au/eq6-1/

Not sure if it is EQMOD compatible as it uses the LX200 protocol.
Old 13-01-2010, 07:17 PM
rajiva

to get controllers compared: http://astronomie.rajiva.de/astronomie/smstv.html

CS
Rajiva
Old 13-01-2010, 09:28 PM
toc (Tim)

Well I have to say, the LittleFoot elegance products look fantastic - but while I can handle a soldering iron, the construction looks a little outside my comfort zone Are your kits available pre assembled?
Old 14-01-2010, 03:16 AM
rajiva

Quote:
Well I have to say, the LittleFoot elegance products look fantastic
Yes, and this is just the beginning of the LFE Photo story.
Currently the Community is working on the V6 Firmware and the main new features will be full Alt/Az Support (with the current V5 Firmware Alt/Az Cords transformation is supported but Alt/Az tracking is only available over IntellyTrack), user defined tracking speeds in both axis and maybe we will get the ISS/Satellite Tracking to work as well. The next stage will be the stand alone autoguider where the required hardware is already part of the controller and just the software is missing.

Quote:
but while I can handle a soldering iron, the construction looks a little outside my comfort zone Are your kits available pre assembled?
I do not sell anything but yes you can contact Deepsky-Solutions that offer hardware around the Community projects.

Clear skies!
Rajiva