Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 20-04-2019, 06:26 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Any microscope aficionados?

Picked up an "old" microscope today - missing a few little pieces but overall in excellent condition.

It is an XSB-01, and all the maker markings are either Japanese or Chinese - I have NO IDEA! Anyone know who/where it was made? Seems too nice optically and mechanically (SUPREMELLY smooth rack and pinions including the stage control etc) to be Chinese, but you never know.

It's missing one objective - it has a 40 and 10, so either a 4 or 100 is missing. Anyone got some old 160/0.17 spares? I'd probably go with a 4 as 100 is pushing it It's also missing the mirror, but I can jerry rig a light source instead if need be (the condenser is there, and the iris is perfect). It's also missing the slide holder posts and clamps (it has the moving stage at least).

It is BEAUTIFULLY engraved D of E NSW so I presume Dept. of Education NSW. Looks at least 1960's era. It had an old adhesive tag with Written Off 2-04-08, so it seems to have been in inventory a good while! I removed that as it was peeling badly.

If anyone has any parts, please let me know. I really don't want to put a Chinese objective in it. If I can't find the parts, I'll likely resell, as incomplete will bug me endlessly...obsessive compulsive anal retentiveness

Last edited by LewisM; 20-04-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Old 20-04-2019, 08:08 PM
Wilso

The guy you should speak to is Claude from AEC, he loves his microscopes and from memory used to be a clinical optician.

Hope this helps.
Old 20-04-2019, 09:15 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
It is an XSB-01, and all the maker markings are either Japanese or Chinese - I have NO IDEA! Anyone know who/where it was made? Seems too nice optically and mechanically (SUPREMELLY smooth rack and pinions including the stage control etc) to be Chinese, but you never know.

It's missing one objective - it has a 40 and 10, so either a 4 or 100 is missing. Anyone got some old 160/0.17 spares? I'd probably go with a 4 as 100 is pushing it It's also missing the mirror, but I can jerry rig a light source instead if need be (the condenser is there, and the iris is perfect). It's also missing the slide holder posts and clamps (it has the moving stage at least).

It is BEAUTIFULLY engraved D of E NSW so I presume Dept. of Education NSW. Looks at least 1960's era. It had an old adhesive tag with Written Off 2-04-08, so it seems to have been in inventory a good while! I removed that as it was peeling badly.

If anyone has any parts, please let me know. I really don't want to put a Chinese objective in it. If I can't find the parts, I'll likely resell, as incomplete will bug me endlessly...obsessive compulsive anal retentiveness
I did a quick Google Image Search on 'microscope "XSB-01"' to see if there were any pics available of the oriental characters you were talking about.
I hit paydirt.
Ebay - Old Microscope XSB-01 in Wooden Box Laborgerät Microscopes 725290 Look Technique

Is this ID plate the same as yours (serial number excluded)?
https://cdn04.trixum.de/upload2/4700...34748a1fed.jpg

Using Google Translate on that picture of the ID plate, the middle line of Chinese text translates as 'People's Republic'. the lowest 2 characters translate as 'Made in'

There's also this one on Piclick.de
Altes Mikroskop XSB-01 im Holzkasten -756139- mit Zubehör, sehr guter Zustand
This one shows more of the items that should be in the complete kit.

In the case of this microscope, the correct objective to keep it original, would be a Chinese one.

Hope this small amount of info I was able to find is of some help.
Old 21-04-2019, 04:04 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Yes, i found that one too - really surprises me it is Chinese, it is THAT nice, and optically VERY good. Shows the Chinese have always been able to make quality, when asked.
Old 21-04-2019, 06:50 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

I have promised myself a microscope for as long as I can remember but now I will get an electronic one, thanks for the reminder
Old 22-04-2019, 12:43 PM
drylander (Peter)

As a high school student my parents bought me a similar microscope (Japanese) which made the school holidays even more enjoyable. I lost it years ago during a move and kept wanting to replace it but life got in the way. A couple years ago I bought a electronic scope and 3D printed a rack so I could move it smoothly and junked the crap stand it came with. Its ok but still looking for a suitable mechanical one.
Old 22-04-2019, 12:53 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I purchased a neat little microscope when I was 11 years old... three pounds and five shillings...I bought it on prize money from my paintings and selling newspaper to the butcher and horse hair to the saddle make...I would leave slides in the fish tank and examine the slime that grew and what a world that was..there are little crabs that only fill 10% of the field of view at 100x...but so much life...I would watch for hours.

I bought a little $70 unit for my daughter which she used once... but it had a camera..only $70 and it was excellent if you used one of the small magnifications ...like everything there is usually some part that works ok...

I have thought of getting into micro photography but I just don't get around to it...maybe I should start sending off some painting to the country shows, and start accumulating newspaper and horse hair to fund it.

alex