Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 14-04-2019, 07:35 AM
Malcolm

SkyWatcher GOTO dob AZ motor noisy

When tracking the AZ motor is making a knocking noise, which is quite disconcerting. It does not make this noise when slewing/rotating the base. What could be the cause of this?
Old 15-04-2019, 03:33 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
When tracking the AZ motor is making a knocking noise, which is quite disconcerting. It does not make this noise when slewing/rotating the base. What could be the cause of this?

I've had the same effect Malcolm with my 8", but can't offer any advice as yet because I'm afraid to take the Az bearing apart and start tinkering. In my case I tend to think it's some sort of mild sticking in the works - the noise isn't super loud, but it makes a definite hollow tapping/creaking sound every couple of seconds which corresponds to the view jumping and "wobbling" when tracking, particularly at higher powers. Definitely more noticeable when slewing completely horizontally (ie, Az only, no Alt slewing at the same time). I'm hoping it's something that just needs some lube - it's almost like something is a bit tight or is pressing on the MDF base or foam packing a bit too hard.
Old 15-04-2019, 04:47 PM
Malcolm

Yes, that's exactly what it seems to be. However I'm running it right now indoors, faked an alignment and it's supposedly tracking Sirius and it's gone quiet. Who knows, make whatever it was has righted itself. Hoping for the best anyway. Thanks for your reply, appreciated. :-)
Old 15-04-2019, 08:31 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
Yes, that's exactly what it seems to be. However I'm running it right now indoors, faked an alignment and it's supposedly tracking Sirius and it's gone quiet. Who knows, make whatever it was has righted itself. Hoping for the best anyway. Thanks for your reply, appreciated. :-)
Sirius is more or less tracking east to west, so it'll mainly be moving in Alt, not Az. That might explain the quietness.
Old 17-04-2019, 05:51 PM
raymo

Perhaps it could be the opposite of sticking,and there is a little too much backlash in the gears, so that it doesn't remain firmly meshed when tracking,which it would when slewing.
raymo
Old 17-04-2019, 07:52 PM
knightrider
Unregistered User

Could try checking your backlash settings. Perhaps resetting/zeroing it also if it's been adjusted.

I had to strip my previous goto dob mount down several times(I had different problems though, none like yours) but you probably don't need to do that hopefully.

If you do this link will help you: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/1...ob-auto-mount/

This link sounds similar to yours too but not a lot of replies:
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...nance-manuals/

Last edited by knightrider; 18-04-2019 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Additional info