Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 07-04-2019, 06:17 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Certainly the array looks interesting.

I think I would rather go for RASA 8" and image with one larger aperture at f/2 which is more than 4x faster than f/5 for extended objects, would capture more stars due to larger aperture and would resolve much finer details (larger aperture again). All of that with just one camera so a cheaper and simpler system. The only compromise I can think of would be a smaller field of view with RASA.
You will need fast narrowband filters at f2 and those are not cheap. But then again the RASA is over priced in my opinion, given the cost of used Edge 8" which are Faststar ready.

Last edited by glend; 07-04-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:21 AM
JA

I've always liked the array idea, but a 4x array whilst attractive from a light gathering and time on target point of view, seems like it would present several challenges: complexity, focus, system weight, simultaneous triggering, cost, etc...

I've settled on trying to build a 2x system using two Nikkor 600mm f/4 lenses (6.3kg per lens) as that allows for ease of full frame camera or other camera mounting and keeps the overall weight, ease of use and complexity reasonable. I just need to make or purchase some components (beyond a typical side by side mounting) to help mount the pair and get some time. If worse comes to worse it could make for some great binoculars, for someone with some very wide set eyes

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 07-04-2019 at 06:31 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:47 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
You will need fast narrowband filters at f2 and those are not cheap. But then again the RASA is over priced in my opinion, given the cost of used Edge 8" which are Faststar ready.
Fast narrowband filters are much much much (pun intended) cheaper than additional 3 cameras, motorising additional 3 focusers, 3 more laptops/or super fast one to handle downloading 4 datasets at once etc etc

RASA was just an example of an alternative to an array of four small aperture f/5 refractors.

JA - it sounds like an interesting project - please keep us updated
Old 07-04-2019, 09:59 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Fast narrowband filters are much much much (pun intended) cheaper than additional 3 cameras, motorising additional 3 focusers, 3 more laptops/or super fast one to handle downloading 4 datasets at once etc etc

RASA was just an example of an alternative to an array of four small aperture f/5 refractors.

JA - it sounds like an interesting project - please keep us updated
Yes that is true
Old 07-04-2019, 10:29 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Just a quick thing to note - you would not need extra machines to control the cameras/focusers if you used something like INDI/ekos to control it all.

Camera and focuser costs alone though blow this out of the water.
Old 24-04-2019, 06:05 AM
JA

Controlling Multiple Cameras in a Telescope Array

If one is using DSLRs and OK with a few hundred millisecond delay between "simultaneous" exposures on 2 cameras, then DigiCamControl has a multiple camera feature that can be used to control exposure, etc, on multiple cameras (I've yet to try its multiple camera feature and hopefully it offers the same degree of control as it does in the Astro module).

Not that you'd need it but, the literate suggests it could handle up to 127 cameras via USB and Hub, just not perfectly simultaneously (a USB communication, not software limitation). There would be a 0.2 to 0.8 second delay between cameras (Not an issue for astro if organised appropriately for things like dithering).

For info:

GUI ....
http://www.digicamcontrol.com/doc/us...rface/multicam

Literature....
http://www.digicamcontrol.com/doc/usecases/multi

DigiCamControl software handles, Canon, Nikon, Sony and many others and incorporates an astro specific module amongst other features.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 24-04-2019 at 07:20 AM.
Old 22-06-2019, 08:31 PM
FrancoRodriguez (Franco)
Franco

I wonder just how difficult it would be to align all these telescopes. I suspect it would provoke a horrid migraine...