Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 05-04-2019, 09:36 PM
Startrek (Martin)

My CFN app for Saturday and Sunday night in Sydney is currently awful ( see attached )
Varied amount of cloud cover but that can change over the next 12 hours or so
Here’s hoping it does
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (447600C9-9A23-442D-83E5-CA30720B1DD8.jpg)
126.9 KB22 views
Click for full-size image (2A2A727C-BFA5-49CC-9F20-27427177EE8B.jpg)
125.4 KB11 views
Old 06-04-2019, 01:58 PM
glend (Glen)

Looking good for tonight

Things seem to be coming together for a good night tonight. The warm sun is drying the ground out, current humidity is 47%. There is a slight northerly breeze with the Bureau suggesting it will swing around to North westerly this evening. Not a cloud in the sky.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:28 PM
Wavytone

Yup it's all go here - aiming to be at Shipley Plateau, Blackheath by 5pm.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:23 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Things seem to be coming together for a good night tonight. The warm sun is drying the ground out, current humidity is 47%. There is a slight northerly breeze with the Bureau suggesting it will swing around to North westerly this evening. Not a cloud in the sky.
There was one very small cloud when I passed to the West of you today but it sure looked clear otherwise.
Hope you get another run with your new scope.
Alex
Old 06-04-2019, 06:07 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Its clear as a bell..is a bell clear..sound I guess...clear anyways...but a ten hour drive to get here and I dont know how I can set up as I am beat.
It is amazing how a long drive can be so exhausting.
I have dragged out the BWO and will probably settle for just some wide field.
Its been so cloudy that I didnt even think of potential targets...there is so much gear I may have to hope for another clear night tomorrow...I should have come up yesterday ...such a shame to miss what I think will be a clear night.
Alex
Old 06-04-2019, 10:50 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Had a run with the wide field set up but to tired to be accurate so tried some really high iso 12000 abouts☺ and 15 second exposure and so many darks the battery went flat..I just let them go for ages☺ so heaps of darks dithering see if these high isos can be used. I have some of the LMG and you cant even see it in the frame so I wonder if a stack will bring it out.
But so tired and never so happy to see a few clouds☺ its getting clear again but I have to get some sleep.
Alex
Old 07-04-2019, 04:28 AM
glend (Glen)

Disappointing here tonight, i suspect that Trough line. It was clearish but the occasional high level cloud drifting over meant that the imaging plan was scrapped. I switched to visual for a session with the iStar 127mm f12.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:06 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

The cat woke me at 3-30 to tell me to go outside and see how clear it was and check how beautiful Venus presents☺. Very nearly set up but was content to sit for a while and just gaze on the Milky Way...you could see everything. Nice.
Checked the subs and the noise was horrific but the darks also had heaps of noise so I hope to get something.
I am trying to get the wide field set up to produce results on very little time...part of its job can be to rush it oit in cloud breaks and grab maybe 30 minutes and hopefully produce a decent result.
I have 100 darks to go with half as many subs so it should be interesting☺.
Gotta get some naps in today in the hope tonight will be clear and be able to run all night.

Alex
Old 24-04-2019, 11:33 AM
glend (Glen)

The Bureau seems to think the next three or four nights might be pretty good, and that pesky Moon is starting to get out of the way. It doesn't rise until 9:13pm tonight, and with astro dark so early now, you should get a good couple of hours. Each night now will have the Moon get more out of the picture, so fingers crossed that the onshore breeze is gone for awhile, it is swinging around now.
Alex I would not expect much up Tabulam way, it seems like it has been cloudy up there all week. My son was camping on a property near Tamworth over Easter and they had terrible weather.
Old 24-04-2019, 12:16 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Might get a few hours imaging tonight down near Ulladulla, CFN has some coastal cloud shifting away by 10.00pm and clear until morning but like you mentioned a waning moon is up but won’t bother me until midnight
Anzac night is looking great, clear all night , but have to head back to Sydney in the morning for Anzac Day and the youngest daughters getting married on the weekend
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (C6DEDCAD-2BE3-41B3-8502-2A569272744C.jpg)
136.3 KB17 views
Old 24-04-2019, 06:56 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
The Bureau seems to think the next three or four nights might be pretty good, and that pesky Moon is starting to get out of the way. It doesn't rise until 9:13pm tonight, and with astro dark so early now, you should get a good couple of hours. Each night now will have the Moon get more out of the picture, so fingers crossed that the onshore breeze is gone for awhile, it is swinging around now.
Alex I would not expect much up Tabulam way, it seems like it has been cloudy up there all week. My son was camping on a property near Tamworth over Easter and they had terrible weather.
I drove down today and thought of you as I passed Port M and noticed the clouds.
I noticed the sky could be clear here so I packed up and rushed down☺

Alex
Old 24-04-2019, 10:23 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I drove down today and thought of you as I passed Port M and noticed the clouds.
I noticed the sky could be clear here so I packed up and rushed down☺

Alex
Alex, i am at Lake Macquarie south of Newcastle, not Port Macquarie. I would not want to live up there.
Old 24-04-2019, 10:56 PM
Startrek (Martin)

The cloud hasn’t arrived yet as predicted by CFN
Currently imaging Centaurus A galaxy and just clicked over 35 x 4 minute subs with 10 to go , meridian flip shortly
Moon glare starting to show up on the histogram and the display as well
A pretty good night so far !
Old 25-04-2019, 03:41 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Alex, i am at Lake Macquarie south of Newcastle, not Port Macquarie. I would not want to live up there.
Sorry about that.
Well it seemed clear around there when I passed by.
Alex
Old 25-04-2019, 05:49 PM
glend (Glen)

Looks like another excellent night shaping up. Moon rise after 10pm, light northerly breeze here and lowish humidity at 50%.