Old 04-08-2011, 07:30 PM
hotspur (Chris)

What sizes to make images for print?

I have been thinking about getting a few images printed at the proper camera print shop (not the department store jobbies).looking at some larg-ish sizes,8 by 10 and so on.

I am not sure about re sizing? I have been slowly learning a bit about PP,and have worked in layers-mainly curves and levels,and a bit of un-sharp mask and flatterned image-it makes the file size large!,the outer dimensions of image-what size should I make these-I think one edge is usually aroud 2400-ish.

But I was under the impression,that when in 'dimensions',one should up the size,I heard something about 'making a smoother' image? is this correct??and
what size do I need to make them.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2011, 08:11 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

I've had a lot of my images printed Chris, from a fair few different places, and I always go back to the photo kiosk at good old Retravision here in town.
Their enlargements are printed down in Sydney, so you have to wait a few days, but they really do a good job.
But no matter where I get them printed, it's a good idea to get smaller instant prints done first to check on the quality before ordering the big ones.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:53 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
I've had a lot of my images printed Chris, from a fair few different places, and I always go back to the photo kiosk at good old Retravision here in town.
Their enlargements are printed down in Sydney, so you have to wait a few days, but they really do a good job.
But no matter where I get them printed, it's a good idea to get smaller instant prints done first to check on the quality before ordering the big ones.
Yes,I usually would look at getting some smaller prints done first,but I have been lucky and found a place that lets me behind the counter and see the image on the good machine they have before they print them off,I do not usually get much printed,but occasionally its good to see a how one two
look on good quality paper.

Still not sure on sizing-what dimensions do people here give their good images they have printed in a larger size?? Apparently-the higher sizing is suppose to make them look 'smoother' is there any substance to this thinking?? and is it worth doing?

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:06 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Guess it's just a matter of, if it looks good zoomed in on the computer, it should look good enlarged.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:00 PM
leon

Chris, I do all my own printing, have done for years.
The trick to quality printing is not really in the size of the image data wise, it is in the paper and the ink, plus a decent printer.

I have all three, and use only High Res paper and the specified ink to suit the printer.

I always print all my top pic to A4 size on Galarie Smooth Pearl Paper, and they come out just great.

That Sunset from Darwin you saw recently, will come out as you saw it on paper rich and red.

Send me what you want printed and I will do them for you FREE, and post them back to you as well, FREE, ya cant get any better than that, ya know

Leon
Old 05-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotspur View Post

But I was under the impression,that when in 'dimensions',one should up the size,I heard something about 'making a smoother' image? is this correct??and
what size do I need to make them.

Thanks
I think that the usual standard for "acceptable" prints is to print at 300 pixels per inch. If you are not going to get this, then you need to upsize using PhotoShop's bicubic smoother for the upsampling. However, you'll find that most astrophotographs will print at better than 300ppi unless you are doing something like an A3.
Geoff
Old 05-08-2011, 09:22 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

The local pro minilab I use for prints requests files at 250dpi and sized in inches.

I just resize using Photoshop with the bicubic method as Geoff recommends.

Cheers
DT