Old 12-07-2008, 12:25 AM
stevenc77
stevenc77

New Canon 40d Advice

I have obtained a 40d camera with a five lens kit off ebay. I also have a HEQ5 Pro mount and 8" reflector. Is there anyone who could tell me something that they wish were told when they got this camera, as any advice at this early stage is very helpful. Steve.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:14 AM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc77 View Post
I have obtained a 40d camera with a five lens kit off ebay. I also have a HEQ5 Pro mount and 8" reflector. Is there anyone who could tell me something that they wish were told when they got this camera, as any advice at this early stage is very helpful. Steve.
Hi Steve,
Stuff you probably already know...
You'll need an EOS T mount adapter and a 2" Prime focus adapter to attach the 40D to your scope.

An external power supply is a must if you're imaging in your backyard unless you have a number of spare batteries charged and ready to go.

You can set up imaging runs from a laptop with the included EOS Utility software, otherwise a basic or programmable remote switch will be necessary for long exposure 'bulb' mode images

Cheers
Doug
Old 13-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Doug, any tips on where to get external power cheap? I can't find em on ebay although I have 2 batteries coming for $10 each. I'm expecting my modified 40D to arrive Monday
Old 13-07-2008, 12:38 AM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
Doug, any tips on where to get external power cheap? I can't find em on ebay although I have 2 batteries coming for $10 each. I'm expecting my modified 40D to arrive Monday
Sorry Robin,
got mine with the camera - paid full price too
Any decent Canon dealer will have them I suppose at varying price points.
Try a google.au search
Funny looking adapter - it has a dummy battery which slots into the camera.
I like the camera to be firing on all cylinders!!! The cold can quickly suck the life out of batteries when imaging!
Cheers
Doug
Old 13-07-2008, 12:50 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Guess I'll deal with batteries for a while then. They are the right price
Old 13-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Robin

I got my Canon AC Mains Adapter from PhotoContinetal – they had to order it in and it cost me over $100 IIRC. As Doug mentions, it is a dummy battery with electrical contacts so you have to remove the Li-Ion battery and plug this in its place, whilst simultaneously routing the power cable through a small slot after you have pushed the rubber grommet to one side; an awkward and fussy operation on a dark night!

Although $100+ sounds a lot, it is worth it to have mains power and draw comfort from the fact that it was specified by Canon, even though it is likely to be a re-badged unit that you could probably pick up for ½ the price as a generic mains adapter if you could find one with the Canon dummy battery soldered on the end!

Cheers

Dennis
Old 13-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Cheers Dennis. I might stick with all these batteries for a while, one might come along at the right price