Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-04-2020, 07:50 PM
glend (Glen)

Saturn's Encke Gap Challenge 2020

Following on from discussions in other threads about the difficulties of observing Sarurn's Encke Gap, I am proposing that we conduct an Encke Gap Challenge in the period leading up to our closest approach on 20 July this year. The rules can be pretty simple, observed with what you have, but your observation should be recorded here in this thread.

Guidelines/Rules:

1 You need to have seen the Encke Gap; not the Cassini Division, etc, so you need to understand what the Encke Gap actually is. In these days of isolation it is near impossible to confirm with another observer, so the honour system is expected.

2. Record the details of equipment used, including scope, eye piece, etc, as well as time and date, Alt/AZ or RA/Dec. Notes on Seeing are expected. Note location of the Observation.

3. There are no limitations on equipment used.

4. Photographs are welcome, but obviously they are a separate category. We can all participate together.

So what do you think? Is this something we can get behind in these isolation times? Get you motivated to get out there and aim your gear at Saturn? Feedback to this thread.

This proposed event has no affiliation with IIS, astronomical societies, Star Party organisations, etc.

Last edited by glend; 22-04-2020 at 11:07 PM.
Old 22-04-2020, 08:09 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I’m up for it! I’ve got a 4” and 10” so the M250 will be my attempt.
Old 22-04-2020, 08:40 PM
dreamstation (James)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
1. If you believe you actually saw the gap, and ' averted imagination' does not count as actual observation. In these days of isolation it is near impossible to confirm with another observer, so the honour system is expected.
What do you mean by this? Are you saying that it is actually quite difficult to see and that many observers think they see it but are not actually seeing it? I've seen it quite a number of times in my 10" scopes so this bit has me confused. Did I imagine it?

Which other thread are you referring? I'd like to take a read!
Old 22-04-2020, 09:19 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstation View Post
What do you mean by this? Are you saying that it is actually quite difficult to see and that many observers think they see it but are not actually seeing it? I've seen it quite a number of times in my 10" scopes so this bit has me confused. Did I imagine it?

Which other thread are you referring? I'd like to take a read!
You can start here:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=182305

As far as what you saw is concerned, I cannot say, do you understand what the Encke Gap actually is? I am not talking about the Cassini Division. It is important tbat you understand what it is.
Old 22-04-2020, 10:10 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

A good idea Glen. One of the criteria to validate an observation will be some confirmation of the seeing conditions. I observe quite regularly with different scopes, but perhaps only once or twice per year (sometimes zero times) do I experience such conditions that allow extraordinary observations. It was in these conditions in July last year after I had split some very challenging double stars that I set the scope on Saturn and detected the Encke gap. And this was a first for me in over 50 years in astronomy. So if an observation is claimed, and others in the same area report ordinary or poor conditions on that night, then it will be suspect in my view.
Old 22-04-2020, 10:24 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekon View Post
A good idea Glen. One of the criteria to validate an observation will be some confirmation of the seeing conditions. I observe quite regularly with different scopes, but perhaps only once or twice per year (sometimes zero times) do I experience such conditions that allow extraordinary observations. It was in these conditions in July last year after I had split some very challenging double stars that I set the scope on Saturn and detected the Encke gap. And this was a first for me in over 50 years in astronomy. So if an observation is claimed, and others in the same area report ordinary or poor conditions on that night, then it will be suspect in my view.
Good point John. Validation is a problem area and you may have noticed I have changed the proposed rules. So any suggestions that can support claimed observations are important. Linking in Alex's thread is an attempt to get everyone interested on the same page, in terms of the complexities of the challenge.

Last edited by glend; 22-04-2020 at 11:15 PM.
Old 22-04-2020, 11:14 PM
glend (Glen)

I have modified the originally posted rules, to make It a more inclusive challenge.

Importantly for anyone considering getting involved, is to actually understand the Saturn Ring system geography, and where the Encke Gap is located (Ring A), so if your unsure please do some research. I will try to put up some links to help out.
Suggestions are very welcome.
Old 22-04-2020, 11:35 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

I think this is a marvelous thing, Glen!

It is a very unique opportunity for both visual and photo to join in a common goal/task/challenge.

Obviously photo and visual have their own skill sets, but what unites both here is just how blooming difficult it is to pick out the Encke visually & photo.

Thank you also that my thread inspired you to create this challenge for this year. Both threads are different - mine is a starting point from which to be able to gauge the quality of your scopes, and even photo gear and processing techniques in light of understanding what "resolution" means & how if differs from what we can see which is finer. And gives a more intimate understanding of Saturn's ring system. It's a more how-to and why.

This thread challenge is for those who are happy to publish their results and experiences.

As Glen mentioned, it is important to know what the Encke Division is, and not to confuse it with the much larger Cassini Division. Again, here's a link to my thread that will explain what the Encke Division is and why it is such a difficult target:

A planetary gauge to test out your scope with - Saturn's Encke Division

I look forward to seeing people's results and experiences, and offering my own

Alex.
Old 23-04-2020, 04:35 AM
dreamstation (James)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
You can start here:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=182305

As far as what you saw is concerned, I cannot say, do you understand what the Encke Gap actually is? I am not talking about the Cassini Division. It is important tbat you understand what it is.
Cheers. I will have a read after work tonight.
Yes I understand the difference and I was not referring to the Cassini Division. You have made me question whether I have in fact seen it now, though.
Old 23-04-2020, 11:08 AM
wayne anderson (Wayne)

Hi all,

Reading the recent threads on Saturns Encke’s division reminded me of a thread from July 2018 started by "Wavytone"

(Saturnian Challenge II - Encke’s division )

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=168492

My post on this was Post #18 which mentioned as below:

Encke’s division

I find that when the conditions are VERY, VERY good Encke’s division can seen quite well in my 12inch LX200 if you are an experienced observer, but occasionally even 1st timers can see it.

Last Month i had a few people around for an astro night a few young children and adults all were 1st time viewer's through a telescope.

Viewing was of Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, Mars, Omega Centauri, Jewel Box, 47 Tucana, Swan Nebula, Triffid Nebula, Lagoon Nebula, Centaurus A Galaxy .........and many more open clusters and stars

With Saturn near the zenith and VERY STILL CLEAR conditions Cassini’s division was large and obvious i could also see Encke’s division in the rings at both 234x and 358x magnification using a 2x Powermate and 26mm Nagler and 17mm Ethos eyepiece.

I asked the first adult to look through the scope to describe in detail what he was seeing, he said.........

WOW its Saturn, i can see its rings and a big gap running around the middle of the rings, the rings have different bands of shading and the planet has bands of white, very faded brownish yellow and grey, there is a round grey area at the pole and i can see the rings going behind the top of the pole and a shadow on the rings from the planet.

I said Very good and explained about what he was seeing, then i said can you see anything between the big black gap in the rings and the outer edge of the rings like a "colour or shading or something" ( not mentioning anything about Encke’s division as i was throwing a curve ball to see if he could accually see it)

A few minutes of viewing he said OH... there is another very thin gap in the rings its very hard to see but its there

So on that night with 4 children and 3 adult first time viewers.... Encke’s division TICK for 2 children and 2 adults

Thanks, Wayne.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:21 PM
glend (Glen)

Bumping this up. You will find a debate going on over in Alex's thread on the Encke Gap, concerning the merits of claims related to equipment, resolution, etc. It is definitely worth reading if your contemplating the Encke Challenge 2020.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...18#post1473118

A reminder that opposition is 21 July 2020.
For those that do not own equipment that can resolve the Encke Gap, it could still be possible if you can "find a friend" who has the necessary aperture, and willing to share some eyepiece time. This extends to hiring the necessary astro grunt as well.
We might even be able to organise a Virtual Saturn Party, on a night of exceptional Seeing; watch this thread for details.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:02 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

I spent yet another 75minutes on Saturn with the 18" scope, this time equipped with Delos 6mm for 310x, Delos 4.5mm for 413x and Tak LE5mmED for 372x which was as high as the seeing would allow......

Mr Keeler's "Encke" would not reveal itself.............

Thankfully the planet provides so much more detail and the dance of its moons provide yet another challenge for the keen observer.....

But the 3am starts in -3C are a bit much for my aging joints
Old 11-05-2020, 05:10 PM
thebonz (John)

enche challenge

Colin's mewlon will do it
Old 11-05-2020, 05:58 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
I spent yet another 75minutes on Saturn with the 18" scope, this time equipped with Delos 6mm for 310x, Delos 4.5mm for 413x and Tak LE5mmED for 372x which was as high as the seeing would allow......

Mr Keeler's "Encke" would not reveal itself.............

Thankfully the planet provides so much more detail and the dance of its moons provide yet another challenge for the keen observer.....

But the 3am starts in -3C are a bit much for my aging joints
Be consoled by the fact you and I boith saw it out in The Paddock...you with the TEC Mak and me with the AP Star 12. It is quite the sight.

Cold...yeah, takes all enthusiasm. Woke up this morning... -2.7° (felt temp -5.1°)...and it is not even winter yet.

My car duco is loving it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0919.jpg)
198.9 KB43 views
Old 11-05-2020, 06:01 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Be consoled by the fact you and I boith saw it out in The Paddock...you with the TEC Mak and me with the AP Star 12. It is quite the sight.

Cold...yeah, takes all enthusiasm. Woke up this morning... -2.7° (felt temp -5.1°)...and it is not even winter yet.

My car duco is loving it.
But that was the ‘Minima’ not the actual division.......
Old 11-05-2020, 06:05 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

D'OH!

I'll stick to pretending to image...
Old 11-05-2020, 06:05 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebonz View Post
Colin's mewlon will do it
We couldn’t see it with Phil’s M300 at about 400x....
Old 11-05-2020, 06:07 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
We couldn’t see it with Phil’s M300 at about 400x....
It helps when Phil collimates it with someone else's eyes
Old 12-05-2020, 07:32 PM
thebonz (John)

enche challenge

If I were to try it I would start at the front and use a planetary eyepiece to have the best chance. The old ortho may do the trick
John
Old 16-05-2020, 05:32 PM
pgc hunter

I'm in (well when my work schedule will permit, if ever). I have a 12" Zambuto with a 21.7% obstruction, plus these fellas here...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (delite.jpg)
98.0 KB38 views
Click for full-size image (powermates.jpg)
157.6 KB38 views