Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2016, 09:31 PM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)
bewise betold neverbecold

probably not Rob

i think Allan will be coming home friday

geoff
Old 09-02-2016, 09:33 PM
Rob Hamlin

Hi Geoff

Thanks for your note

Will keep an eye out for future trips

Cheers!

rob
Old 10-02-2016, 02:50 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB_an_Owl View Post
probably not Rob
i think Allan will be coming home friday
geoff
I am home now.
Hoping for better weather next month.
But it was a good camping trip with clear nights on two but with heavy dew.
And as usual, the good company made it a success.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:51 PM
nobby2 (Neil)

In town for the day, then back to Bretti. Yes, very dark and clear. Just sitting and looking was worth it. Great viewing to 10 then the dew. Photography time.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:27 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby2 View Post
In town for the day, then back to Bretti. Yes, very dark and clear. Just sitting and looking was worth it. Great viewing to 10 then the dew. Photography time.
Sorry i missed you Neil. - (but the cask ran dry )
If I knew to expect you I may have stayed on - but in a campervan you dont have the luxury of a day trip to town (for phone coverage or resupply).
Watch out for the bovinae, they are persistent and prolific (in both senses of the word)
Old 12-02-2016, 06:28 PM
nobby2 (Neil)

Thanks Allan
Great first night , Dew about 10. Long day in the paddock the next day after a drive to Gloucester.
Cloud came in on night two, clearing now and again. Didn't use the scope.
Still a fun two days
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Bretti 1.jpg)
199.0 KB35 views
Click for full-size image (My Portable Newtonian.jpg)
213.5 KB44 views
Old 15-02-2016, 01:39 PM
glend (Glen)

Getting in early to raise a possible March New Moon trip. I am itching to get back out there and March New Moon week seems ideal: cooler for sure, and probably less crowded where ever we go - the April New Moon seems to be in the school and Easter holiday period. I know many of us missed out in February for weather and other reasons. So consider March; Wednesday the 9th is the New Moon, so that week from Monday the 7th to Friday the 11th seems ideal for those not working. The weekend either side could work as well for some. Weather permitting of course.
Interested? Location is up for consideration, just dark, very dark.
Old 15-02-2016, 05:10 PM
uwahl (Ulrich)
Mr Avalot To'Learn

I am up for March. I haven't been able to come to one of these since May last year and I am so looking forward to getting back to Bretti. Here's hoping the weather gods cooperate.

Ulrich

PS Geoff are you supplying freezer suits again this year - if yes them I am definitely interested.
Old 15-02-2016, 07:46 PM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)
bewise betold neverbecold

probably do an order april sometime Ulrich

geoff
Old 15-02-2016, 09:42 PM
sharptrack2 (Kevin)

Yippee!!

I will be in for the whole week. I have already prepped my boss and THE BOSS that I will be gone if the weather is good. I hope we can have a fair number of people out that I can harass and pester.

Star hopping to find something is starting to get annoyingly frustrating... they all look the same! A triangle here, a triangle there, follow a line between this star and that star... but when you look through the eyepiece you see 10's of stars... Will be looking for advice on how to simplify without spending 100's of $$ on a GoTo or motorised mount.
Old 16-02-2016, 01:40 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharptrack2 View Post
I will be in for the whole week. I have already prepped my boss and THE BOSS that I will be gone if the weather is good. I hope we can have a fair number of people out that I can harass and pester.

Star hopping to find something is starting to get annoyingly frustrating... they all look the same! A triangle here, a triangle there, follow a line between this star and that star... but when you look through the eyepiece you see 10's of stars... Will be looking for advice on how to simplify without spending 100's of $$ on a GoTo or motorised mount.
Hi Kevin,
Hope the weather is good for this one.
If you have trouble star hopping in suburbia, you will be pulling your hair out at Bretti.
It is so dark, there are multitudes more naked eye stars to confuse you.
What a sight to behold.
Old 16-02-2016, 10:27 PM
sharptrack2 (Kevin)

Thanks Allan,

I'm of the opinion that because I am in suburbia that I have trouble. To much black in between patterns for the FoV in my scope. I'm hoping that a dark site will actually make it a little easier to find smaller patterns like what you find on a start chart. Looking forward to trying!

I checked out a couple of long range forecasts and they are positive at the moment. Waiting till after the weekend before putting in my leave request.

Will be working on my 5" reflector over the next few days in hopes of having 3 telescopes with me for lots of comparisons. I will be hoping someone might want to give up a few hours of imaging or observing to answer questions.
Old 17-02-2016, 02:32 PM
glend (Glen)

Kevin, something else for your list: Jupiter is at Opposition on the 8th of March, there is no better place to enjoy it than a new moon period at a dark site. Not sure about the timing of the Great Red Spot transits but there would be a couple visible that week - through the right scope of course.
Old 17-02-2016, 02:40 PM
sharptrack2 (Kevin)

Thanks Glen,

That's great to hear. I have been enamored with Jupiter and Saturn lately and try to get a look every chance I get.

Surely my 8" SCT should be good substitute for a big Dob... But I might beg Allan for a peek through his if all goes well.

On a side note, I will be tent camping and I have read the details on Bretti. If another site is chosen, from your experience, would things change much as far as bring your own water, TP, etc? I can be pretty self-sufficient if need be.
Old 17-02-2016, 08:30 PM
uwahl (Ulrich)
Mr Avalot To'Learn

According to Stellarium the times that the great red spot is visible are:-

07/03 20:40 to 23:50 at 34 degrees elevation
09/03 02:30 to 05:50 at 44 degrees
09 to 10/03 22:20 to 01:30 at 48 degrees

08/03 GRS visible only in daylight or below horizon

Times approx and elevation at midpoint of time period

Ulrich
Old 21-02-2016, 10:27 AM
glend (Glen)

With just two weeks to go to the March New Moon period, the folks indicating interest so far are:

Uwahl, Sharptack2, glend, and I think Fizics said last time that he would be going in March (to be confirmed John?). Can we get some more? Rob Hamlin, Nobby2, it would be nice to see some new folks out there. I realise Allan_L has an anniversary in there somewhere so no pressure Al. Geoff?

Keep in mind that April New Moon venues are likely to be impacted by NSW School Holiday crowds unless going to some private location.

Re the venue, do people have a preference or desire for a location other than Bretti? Other sites like Glen Riddle, Lake Chaffey, are twice the distance (or more) but may offer a good weather alternate. Closer to home is Lake Glenbawn, which I have used in the past, it's easy to get to (out the Newcastle Freeway and north of Scone) and offers cabin accomodation for those that must have that, and hot showers and a shop. Glenbawn is not as dark as Bretti (similiar to Ilford where the IIS Camp was held), having a lightdome to the east around the Hunter Valley power stations, and it is surrounded by hills that limit low altitude access (worse than Bretti in that respect), but it's no worse than the light dome at Lake Chaffey from Tamworth. As far as darkness is concerned, Bretti and Glen Riddle would be considered the darkest, with no possible light dome intrusion in any direction.
Be aware that Bretti does not offer mobile phone/internet access but you can drive 11kms towards Gloucester to pick up a tower signal if you need to stay in touch, or check in.
Old 21-02-2016, 10:37 AM
sharptrack2 (Kevin)

I'm good for up to an 8 hour drive, my main interest is getting some more observing time with more experienced people and evaluating my equipment. So as long as the weather is reasonable, I'll be happy with just about any location. Just tell me where. :-)
Old 21-02-2016, 02:23 PM
uwahl (Ulrich)
Mr Avalot To'Learn

I have no experience of any site other than Bretti but would be willing to go with the majority. West of the ranges might have slightly less chance of rain
Old 24-02-2016, 08:54 AM
glend (Glen)

Doing some prep work on the camper this week, replacing some old wiring, and I have re-activated my inReach Sat GPS messenger system (which my kids insist I carry). Starting to work through my checklist.
Still plenty of time for other/new people to get ready for the March New Moon Trip - all are welcome. Venue I am assuming to be Bretti unless weather drives us further north, or a better suggestion is put forward.
Old 25-02-2016, 09:08 AM
glend (Glen)

The "Extended Forecast" for the Gloucester area does not look too promising for the week of the 7th of March, details here:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/au/glo...st/13014?day=6

As always with this stuff, it can change significantly in the next ten days, so keep checking.

Perhaps an alternative venue further inland could be considered, but only if people are willing to drive there.