Old 24-07-2011, 09:47 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

More questions about alignment of my scope

I started a thread here a while ago with questions about collimation of my Tak FS-102.

After much discussion, I found there was significant slop in the focuser when the focus lock knob was left undone (as recommended by Robofocus). It has gotten considerably better since I have been gently screwing that knob down - the wiggle in the focuser has gone.

I took some flats last night as the object went through the meridian - so the scope was pointing vertically.

Here are some screen shots. There is a well illuminated "circle" - but that circle is not centered on the CCD chip. (Should I expect that the chip is in the centre of the opening of the camera - QSI583) I have adjusted the screen stretch to exaccerbate the edge of the circle. The transition on the graph is thankfully more gradual.

I've also attached a curvature analysis from CCD inspector for my image from last night. The "tilt" is in the same direction.

Any suggestions - or do I have to go looking for more slop in my focuser? (I am yet to do the obvious and spin the camera around 180 degrees and see what happens)

DT
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (flat1.JPG)
99.0 KB27 views
Click for full-size image (graph.JPG)
45.4 KB21 views
Click for full-size image (ccdinsp.JPG)
38.3 KB23 views
Old 25-07-2011, 10:43 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

David,

I am also having some intermittent tilt and curvature issues with my FSQ. I had hoped they would go away when I got the last couple of adapters needed for a fully screwed together optical train, but alas they haven't. When I figure out what is going on I will let you know. So far my reasonably methodical troubleshooting attempts haven't resulted in a Eureka moment. I'm wondering whether I might actually have more than one problem...

Good luck with your troubleshooting!

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 25-07-2011, 06:05 PM
gbeal

I'm no expert, but IIRC there are two very very fine screws on the top of the focuser, near the big lock down knob. They may have, some form of sealant on/in them. Tighten them, very carefully and gently. They push down like the big tightening knob.
Gary
Old 25-07-2011, 07:41 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

You are correct Gary - a guide to adjust them was posted on the previous thread.

Might need to pluck up courage and fiddle with them.

Ta
DT