Old 06-10-2008, 02:21 AM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

phd random calibration problem...

Im having a few troubles tonight.. and I've finally figured out what it is (problems that have been occuring for a while now... PHD only makes calibrations while the QHY8 isnt exposing, during download and file saving... other than that, it practically freezes up, hence, trailed photos... I noticed while i was listening to the mount guiding before I started imaging, its clearly audible when the mount is guiding, but as soon as I start exposing, the sound stops, and it only makes calibration when the camera stops exposing... A very annoying issue to have.. considering I dont care if it stops guiding while the camera isnt exposing, but the other way around makes it rather useless... Any input would be greatly appreciated, as this is killing me... Cheers. Alex.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:01 PM
DeanoNZL (Adrian)
Seize The Night

Alex,
Are you using Nebulosity as your capture software?
PHD & Nebulosity have a client/server mode to halt guiding while downloading frames. This can be disables in Neb & PHD.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:08 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

I am using Nebulosity 2.

Do you have any idea where this setting is?

My problem is slightly different though, it halts guiding during exposure, then resumes guiding while its downloading/saving the image, then halts again as soon as it starts exposing....

Sometimes guiding would kick in half way to 3/4 of the way through an exposure, but sometimes not...

Very annoying to say the least.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Astrod00d
Lost In SPace

It could be a driver issue.
I use a QHY8/Neb2 for imaging and a QHY5/PHD for guiding.
My problem was, the QHY8 would download rubbish while the QHY5 was active. Different to your issue, I know.
The Neb2-PHD link should disable PHD during image download only, and your issue seems to happen while the QHY8 is exposing a sub. Very unusual as there is no traffic on the USB during exposure.
Does it affect PHD only during calibration, or during guiding as well?

In any case, I re-installed the QHY8 and QHY5 drivers, re-started the PC and all is OK now.

Cheers,

Rob
Old 06-10-2008, 04:05 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

rob. Sorry, all this crazy terminology got the better of me. It pauses 'guiding' while exposing. Then when the image is downloading the image, all guiding resumes, it makes some rather large adjustments the stops as soon as it starts exposing again. Phd seems to stop everything during the exposure.. Maybe because the guide cam and gpusb are on the same port running on a powered hub,
Who knows..
Old 06-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Gama

This sounds like a Nebulosity issue.
I use the QHY-8 and Maxim DL for imaging, and PHD and the QHY-5 for guiding, none give me any halts. But i am using "Mount" control and not gpusb. Did you copy the latest CMOSDLL.DLL file into PHD directory ?. It should be on the QHY-5 drivers disk if you havent.

Theo.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:45 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Im not using a QHY5 Theo, Not YET anyway... Im using an Imaging Source DBK31AU USB color camera...
Old 07-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Gama

OOOPS, its Rob's fault... He threw me off !.

Theo.