Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-06-2019, 09:19 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Astronomy, you won’t know until you try

I sold my old 10” dob late last year to my daughters father-in-law as he had some interest in astronomy ( only reading books etc..) and wanted to take the next step.
He wasn’t confident at all using the telescope ( even though I showed him previously, in the day time, plus gave him notes etc... )so it stayed in his garage for months and months
He asked me recently could I come over on a clear night and do some observing. So last light I went over to his place and we rolled the scope out into his backyard ( it’s on a flat trolley).I suggested he try everything himself first, select an eye piece, use finder , star hop , point and find , focus etc....and I’ll guide and help
He was absolutely amazed when he found Omega Centauri, like a kid in a lolly shop !!
He’s nearly 70 years of age
He went on to look at few bright stars , Jupiter with moons , Saturn and a few others
He was totally hooked !!
I gave him the link to Cloud Free Night , so at the end of our observing session we had a cup of tea inside out of the cold and he’s eagerly checking on his iphone to see when the next clear night will be. I also asked him to download Stellarium on his laptop to assist in finding objects , again he was amazed at the detail in this planetarium.
I suppose the moral to the story is “Astronomy, you won’t know until you try“
It’s great to see a man of his age with such excitement and enthusiasm. That telescope could have stayed in the garage for years and years never to be used , but something clicked and prompted him to ask me to come over.
A great night for both of us !
An Amazing hobby !!
Old 20-06-2019, 10:07 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thats great..and at seventy even☺
Alex
Old 20-06-2019, 11:12 AM
inline_online (Dan)

I love that story. Makes me very happy.
Another moral to that story is: It's never too late!
Old 20-06-2019, 12:53 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

same I've seen happen with many interests. Most hinderances is that people have preconceived assumptions so dont even bother to try something new when the opportunity arises.
Old 20-06-2019, 01:13 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline_online View Post
Your right inline, it is never too late. I took up a new hobby of photography at the age of 60. Struggled with it for a while, then decided to get serious about photography by doing a Bachelor of Arts (Photography).

Cheers Peter

Last edited by Stardrifter_WA; 20-06-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 25-06-2019, 12:33 AM
simon_rl (Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline_online View Post

I am totally with Dan on this. Your story put a big smile on my dial.
Thanks heaps for sharing Martin.
Old 25-06-2019, 03:03 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

I take issue with the comment "a man of his age"

I am 62, I FEEL and act 21, I ride, have just serviced our 4 bikes MTBs, 2 of my sons and 2 of mine.

There are OLD people under 40 and YOUNG people over 70,............. is there this assumption that when you are OLD (what is old) you give up
Old 25-06-2019, 06:03 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Jeremy
I am glad you have such a great attitude.

I have met men who at 50 I would call old..

I am 72 and that number just seems wrong as I dont feel that age...my crook legs restrict me a bit because they feel like I am up to my knees in boiling water..all the time...I dont think of it as pain anymore but it is just annoying cause it is always there..I dont take pain killers simply because I dont want my driving impaired and to get reliable feed back when I should rest. ..they really start to burn to the point where I have to back off...if that were masked I think I could over do things.
I do find astronomy difficult because I am not too flash with computing but rather than throw my hands up as old folk do I simply grind away until this or that problem is overcome and just keep chipping away...addmittedly I am slower but I get there and frankly looking around me at people half my age I find most of them do not know as much about computers as I do.
And I do think it is important to keep educating yourself..I study history (and by necessity with such a pursuit religion) non stop ...and I like to read about cosmology and physics both classic and the other stuff☺ even maths which I am usless at..but I read the index of maths books to know what they talk about at least...with a realisation that each line of an index probably represents a multitude of lifetime works to develop that branch of maths...and music..particularly stuff I dont like simply to know about trends...last night I was into the world of rc car racing and how to run in a motor and the associated complexity of that world...
But the way it goes...someone says I want to do this or that and this is a signal for every negative person he knows to start offerring advice...when I wanted to be the oldest man to sail around the world no one said to me " now that is a great idea" and all they could say was it would be too hard..too hard in this day and age of push button navigation and food in a can and unsinkable boats...the money could be a problem but hey you have croud funding these days...I decided against it only because I just cant fit it in...I want to spend my time with my Dad and daughter really.

Jeremy you certainlt are not old and hopefully you never grow old.
Alex
Old 25-06-2019, 10:01 PM
muletopia (Chris)
Want to do better

Not old, just years on earth

I am with Martin's daughter's father in law.
Nearly 5 years ago as a birthday present for my own 70th birthday I bought myself a Mewlon 210 , a Canon 60Da and a HEQ5-pro. My first Telescope,camera and mount ever.
Since then I have enjoyed myself. The Mewlon now lives on a pier on a Mesu mount 200 and is controlled by Sitech with CDC planetarium. What a joy.
The setup gets used every clear night.

I hope Martins pupil has the same happy path in front of him.

Chris
Old 26-06-2019, 02:11 PM
JRX82 (James)

Great story.