Old 13-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

camera lense for stl11000

Hello everyone,

does anyone know what sort of camera lense, from canon, nikon or other reputable source, would illuminate the whole - or there abouts - stl-11000 chip. Ive read that the canon EF-S lenses are good for illuminating smaller chips only. I have a lense from an older 35mm SLR camera, but they dont have the same nounting as the newer lenses.

thanks for any input.
Old 13-11-2011, 09:44 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Bunn View Post
Hello everyone,

does anyone know what sort of camera lense, from canon, nikon or other reputable source, would illuminate the whole - or there abouts - stl-11000 chip. Ive read that the canon EF-S lenses are good for illuminating smaller chips only. I have a lense from an older 35mm SLR camera, but they dont have the same nounting as the newer lenses.

thanks for any input.
Nikon 180ED. Pentax 67 lenses, I used Canon FD lenses and got an adapter from Moog adapters. I used a Canon FD 85mm lens and I think it was about 55mm. The 85mm was better. Pentax 67 lenses will illuminate even a 16803 chip which is twice the size of STL11.

I would stick with Pentax 67. They are plentiful on Ebay. They also have lots of backfocus. I use a FLI PDF electronic focuser between the cameras's filter wheel and lens. It works well. They have about 85mm of backfocus. Pentax 67 105mm F2.8 has been best so far but the 300mm worked well, the 55mm F4 has aberrations.

Greg.
Old 14-11-2011, 12:45 AM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

camera lense for stl-11000

Thanks Greg,

I dont seem to be able to find a pentax 67 105mm F2.8 only the F2.4, do you have any links to the lenses you recomended? Actually, is this one of them here http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/d...9Af0J5EwgAOw== ?
Can this lense and the one bellow be stoped down and the FL made shorter/longer etc. and do these lenses, and other manufacturers, have filters built into them to block some wavelengths of light ?
Theres a SMC pentax 67 300mm F4 here http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/d...9Af0J5EwgAOw== , is this the 300mm you were ferering to, and from your experience, would this lense have the aberations you said the F4 55mm had?
Also, you said you use a FLI PDF electronic focuser between the cameras's filter wheel and lens, are there other options that you know of to conect it to the stl camera. Actualy PreciseParts.com may be able to supply something.

thanks
Josh
Old 14-11-2011, 08:12 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Josh,

All Canon EF lenses are designed to illuminate 35mm sensors.

Depending on what you want to do, a 200mm f/2.8L II USM would make a brilliant astrograph for sweeping widefields.

I have used mine on my DSLRs but haven't had the opportunity to pop it on my STL-11000M just yet.

H
Old 14-11-2011, 06:33 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

peter tan or HK pete sells a adaptor specifically for SBIG for Cannon bayonet lenses

www.tan14.com

he is reputable and i have purchased enough gear off him in the past.!
Old 14-11-2011, 08:51 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Bunn View Post
Thanks Greg,

I dont seem to be able to find a pentax 67 105mm F2.8 only the F2.4, do you have any links to the lenses you recomended? Actually, is this one of them here http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/d...9Af0J5EwgAOw== ?
Can this lense and the one bellow be stoped down and the FL made shorter/longer etc. and do these lenses, and other manufacturers, have filters built into them to block some wavelengths of light ?
Theres a SMC pentax 67 300mm F4 here http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/d...9Af0J5EwgAOw== , is this the 300mm you were ferering to, and from your experience, would this lense have the aberations you said the F4 55mm had?
Also, you said you use a FLI PDF electronic focuser between the cameras's filter wheel and lens, are there other options that you know of to conect it to the stl camera. Actualy PreciseParts.com may be able to supply something.

thanks
Josh
It seems the longer the focal length of the lens the less you seem to hit aberrations.

Here is a list of Pentax 67 lenses and a rating for each:

http://www.antiquecameras.net/pentax6x7lenses.html

I have 55mm F4 which is very widefield but with the 16803 camera (twice the size of STL11) it showed significant star issues in the corners wide open. Closing down the iris to F5.6 or more reduced it but not fully handle it.

Binning 2x2 did give round stars though at slightly reduced resolution.

105mm perhaps it is F2.4 works wide open with no aberrations with my Proline 16803 which is quite a feat. 300mm F4 also does as well.
I get a small amount of chromatic aberration which shows up as magenta bright stars. It is fairly easy to handle in Photoshop with the selective colour tool and reduce magenta.

The 105mm I like the most: http://www.pbase.com/gregbradley/image/137896676

I also have a Nikon ED 180 F2.8 which worked well on an STL. I'll link some images I took with this.

You don't need a PDF focuser or Atlas to focus it. You can do it manually if you are really careful. I doubt though with the fine shifts required for accurate focus you can do it manually to the same standard. You can also rig up a Robofocus with a belt drive around the lens to focus it.

Greg.
Old 14-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Paul Haese

Any N class Nikon lens will illuminate that sensor. In fact any FX version will take care of the illumination. Don't use DX lenses those are for APS size sensors.
Old 17-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

hi All,
Has anyone tried these http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/d...9Af0J5EwgAOw== nikon FX lenses, in particular the 135mm and 80-200mm focal lengths. Would be used with stl11000 camera.

Is there really a notable difference between prime and variable focal length lenses in term of image quality when used in astrophotography?

If using variable focal lengths, is a change in focal length a problem during longh exposures? (may have to tape up)

What does the AI stand for in the lense description.

Any alternative suggestions welcomed also.

Josh
Old 18-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Paul Haese

Hi Josh I have a 135 f2 DC lens and it illuminates my FX sensor which is the same size and the STL11K. I would probably steer away from using large zooms because of slip.
Old 18-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Thanks everyone for your input. I realise there is rather alot of info on this subject if i search the threads.
Also, ive come to the same conclusion after some more research, I wouldnt use a zoom lense partly for this reason.

josh
Old 18-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

AI, I think, in Nikon parlance, means internally focusing. That is, the lens doesn't extend.

H
Old 18-11-2011, 06:27 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
AI, I think, in Nikon parlance, means internally focusing. That is, the lens doesn't extend.
The Nikonese for internal focusing is, not surprisingly, "IF". AI is automatic indexing: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikortek.htm#ai

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 18-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Thanks for clearing that, Rick. I'm a Nikon noob. :-)

H
Old 18-11-2011, 06:59 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Thanks for clearing that, Rick. I'm a Nikon noob. :-)
I've noticed your strong Canon allegiance, H, not that there's anything wrong with that

I hired a new chief marketing officer for our company recently and he made a point of thanking me for hiring him even though he's a Canon guy

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 18-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

lol! :-)

H