Old 07-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Smile Radioactivity and an emerald

What a night this is turning out to be. The bureau had us down for rain well into next week, but here I am, enjoying a mostly clear night and some reasonable seeing from my backyard in Toongabbie.

The half Moon doesn't bother me much, as usual, since I chase doubles during nights like these. Running my 6" Mak at 360x the diffraction rings still form a rotating radioactivity sign 50% of the time, but the other 50% it's very decent and allows me to confirm critical collimation.

So off to Antares I slew, and there it is, the little blue companion that actually looks green, clear as [..something very clear..]. I drag the family away from the TV and make them all look, they can all easily see it and are excited

Oh, and the planets. Mars is rather close to the Moon tonight so there is some glare in the FOV, and it's becoming eggy. Mars season will soon come to an end. Saturn on the other hand is its gorgeous self with sharp Cassini division and milky crepe ring, and a crowd pleaser as always.

Long story short, don't believe gloomy weather forecasts, check for yourself and don't be afraid of the Moon. There is a lot more out there than nebulae and galaxies.

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:10 PM
tonybarry (Tony)

Hear hear !

The Moon is not the enemy. Light pollution from earthly objects is much worse. Just ask David Hough.

Regards,
Tony Barry
Old 07-06-2014, 09:28 PM
Astro_Bot

Sounds like a good evening was had by all.

Quote:
clear as [..something very clear..]
As clear as a very clear thing? That sounds vaguely like a Blackadder saying ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder Goes Forth
Baldrick: I have... a plan, sir.
Blackadder: Really, Baldrick? A cunning and subtle one?
Baldrick: Yes, sir.
Blackadder: As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University?
Baldrick: Yes, sir.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:36 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Blackadder? Never heard of him

But..., it gets better. I've just split the AB components of Xi Sco, after a tip-off on CN That one is really pushing the limits for my scope (at about 1" separation) under the circumstances.

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:38 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Was wanting to test the RC8 last night, but high level ice everywhere, with a very nice ice corona around the half-moon.

Such is the way lately.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:19 PM
Astro_Bot

According to the jetstream forecast charts (pretty much all of them), the jeststream across QLD and Northern NSW is going to partly dissipate between Monday and Thursday, with the best on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Jetstream speed should fall to less than 40 knots.

Weatherzone is saying that Brisbane will be mostly sunny with 70% probability of <1mm precipitation on Wednesday and Thursday, so here's hoping that we get clear, and stable, skies all the way up on Tue and Wed nights.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:34 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Tonight started as a nice clear half-moon night, unfortunately with bad seeing. I'm pretty sure the seeing is going to improve, though. How do I know that? It's starting to cloud over

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:59 PM
GeoffW1 (Geoff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffen View Post
I'm pretty sure the seeing is going to improve, It's starting to cloud over

Cheers
Steffen.
Eh?

Mars has been good, best views I have ever had, high up with less atmosphere.

Cheers
Old 10-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Astro_Bot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro_Bot View Post
Weatherzone is saying that Brisbane will be mostly sunny with 70% probability of <1mm precipitation on Wednesday and Thursday, so here's hoping that we get clear, and stable, skies all the way up on Tue and Wed nights.
The jetstream is playing its part for once, but the local forecast is wall-to-wall cloud tonight and still around 50% cloud tomorrow. Bugger!

Edit: 6:30pm and not a cloud in the sky - lucky break or just a hole in the clouds? Anyway, it's breezy at ground level and, despite the aerological diagrams showing that the jetstream has mostly abated, the stars are twinkling like crazy. Oh well, try again tomorrow, I suppose.

Last edited by Astro_Bot; 10-06-2014 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-06-2014, 06:12 PM
GeoffW1 (Geoff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffen View Post
Blackadder? Never heard of him
What? What? Like saying you never heard of Monty Python or John Howard!!
Old 10-06-2014, 07:36 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro_Bot View Post
The jetstream is playing its part for once, but the local forecast is wall-to-wall cloud tonight and still around 50% cloud tomorrow. Bugger!

Edit: 6:30pm and not a cloud in the sky - lucky break or just a hole in the clouds? Anyway, it's breezy at ground level and, despite the aerological diagrams showing that the jetstream has mostly abated, the stars are twinkling like crazy. Oh well, try again tomorrow, I suppose.
Oh yeah, the twinkle is intense tonight - even called the 5 year old out to see the rapidly twinkling stars.

Alas, the wait continues...
Old 11-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Astro_Bot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM
Alas, the wait continues...
Indeed it does. Still ... another day, another chance.

With the breeze dying late this afternoon, I optimistically put the scope out to cool under an unexpectedly clear sky. The jetstream is still relatively quiescent and so hope welled for good seeing tonight.

Merely an hour later, I heard the pitter patter of a light shower on my tin roof. Sure enough, the 'scope was generously covered in rain drops. I brought it and and dried it off.

Now the decision: Radar shows more substantial showers blowing up from the Tweed region, despite the dry forecast. Should I put the scope back out? Will the showers dissipate or miss me?

Maybe. But only if my luck changes!
Old 11-06-2014, 05:50 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

I was having a drink after work on Friday 30th May, a couple of weeks ago, cloudy as usual in Melbourne. Called it quits at midnight, drove home, took the dog out to do what dogs do….looked up and it was one of T H O S E moments. Rare as hens teeth down here, could see the Milkyway clearly as if I was out in the country…well nearly. Grabbed the 4"ED Frac and got looking. Lasted all of 40mins before the stars disappeared before my eyes as the transparency went to the dogs…no offence pooch
It does happen sometimes however briefly.
I live in hope.
Matt