Old 28-04-2012, 10:46 AM
alanfvic (Alan)

Canon EOS-60Da for daytime use?

I have done a little film based astrophotograhy but found it unrewarding, and so far I have resisted switching to digital daytime photography, however I can see I'll have to make the switch one day. So I am interested in the 60Da, but what I am after is a camera I can use for both astro and daytime.

1) I understand the 60Da is unsuitable for daytime use, but would there not be some way to add a filter to the lens to block the problematic IR?

2) Is the only improvement of the 60Da over 60D the Near IR unblocking? So I could expect the same performance from a 60D for general star clusters, globular clusters, some planetary nebula, i.e. anything other than red nebula?
Old 28-04-2012, 12:16 PM
gregbradley

As far as I know it is suitable for daytime use. Where did you get that idea?

The 20Da worked fine for daytime use.

That is one of the camera's strengths.

By the way that is true of any modded camera. If you use an Xnite CC1 filter it and set your white balance to custom and create a custom balance you get quite nice daytime shots.

Greg.
Old 28-04-2012, 12:40 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

I don't know where this rumour about the 60Da being unsuitable for terrestrial photography started?
To my mind it would be insane for Canon to release a modified body at almost twice the price of the vanilla 60D with no option for 'daytime' shooting.
It's a simple white balance adjustment and there would certainly be a pre-set option for it in the menu.
Not speaking from experience unfortunately, my 60Da body was supposed to be here Thursday.. still waiting
Old 28-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Grimmeister (Anthony)

Hi,

Canon stated in the web site that the camera is nor recommended for day time use as per the following note from their web page:
* Note: the EOS60Da is not recommended for regular photographic situations

Have a look at the bottom of this page: http://www.canon.com.au/For-You/EOS-...meras/EOS-60Da

However as mentioned a filter over the lens or a custom whit balance would fix any issues seen.

Cheers

Anthony
Old 28-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Lester

I use to use my 20Da for daytime shooting, and the only time I saw excessive red was when shooting people in direct sunlight. Their faces looked too red, but easily corrected.
Old 28-04-2012, 08:47 PM
technofetishism (Nick)

Custom white balance cant correct out IR pollution of an image, might make it look 'more right' but its still wrong. A physical filter is required to correct the image.

Its more than just red channel that's affected by IR, you'll see it in the blue as well.
Old 29-04-2012, 06:23 PM
alanfvic (Alan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
As far as I know it is suitable for daytime use. Where did you get that idea?

The 20Da worked fine for daytime use.

That is one of the camera's strengths.

By the way that is true of any modded camera. If you use an Xnite CC1 filter it and set your white balance to custom and create a custom balance you get quite nice daytime shots.

Greg.
Hi Greg, It was from here and a number of similar places:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resou...eos_60da.shtml

Anyway, I am glad to know an extra blocking lens filter for daytime use can fix things. But my other question still remains. Are there any other differences, or is it just the blocking filter that distinguishes the 60D and 60Da?

Regards, Alan.

Last edited by alanfvic; 29-04-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 30-04-2012, 04:36 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanfvic View Post
Hi Greg, It was from here and a number of similar places:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resou...eos_60da.shtml

Anyway, I am glad to know an extra blocking lens filter for daytime use can fix things. But my other question still remains. Are there any other differences, or is it just the blocking filter that distinguishes the 60D and 60Da?

Regards, Alan.

Thanks Alan.

The 20Da used to be able to shoot daytime no trouble and that was what I was basing my post on.

Still I bet you could still take decent photos. All you need is a screw on UV/IR filter for your lens. There are plenty of cheap IR filters around.

Greg.
Old 30-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Tandum (Robin)

This camera is listed at opt under ccd cameras. One package they are selling includes an Astronomik EOS Clip White Balance filter.
It also says "The included Astronomik OWB filter will allow you to use your 60Da during the day to take stunning color and black and white shots."