Old 03-03-2008, 07:46 PM
WadeH (Wade)
WadeH

March 2nd viewing in the West

After trying to get in an evening of observing for this long weekend (unsuccesfuly due to high humidity causing misty cloud) I finally cracked it last night.

Observing period from 10:15pm until 2:00am.
Transparency very clear, seeing 7/10

All set up and fingures crossed, first observation at 10:20pm WDST. Unless stated otherwise the lens used is the 13mm nagler (76X).

NGC 2808 globular: very compact and just a hint of resolving. Nice view though. With the 10mm (100X) only slightly improved.

Next M68 globular. While a little smaller than ngc 2808 it resolved better, I think the air was getting better. !0mm best.

M104 The Sombrero galaxy, very nice. Fairly bright and the dust lane was just a little hint but was there.

M83 The Southern Pinwheel. A very faint galaxy I presume because of its large surface area. But there were still glimpses of its arm structure and a small bright spot at the core.

Centaurus A, NGC 5128. This is a strange shape for a galaxy. The dust lane was large and very easily seen.

NGC 5139, Omega Centuari. What can be said, MAGNIFICENT!! Resolved right to the core. With the 2.5 P/mate well, its full of stars!!

NGC 4945. This very faint edge on galaxy has an apparent magnitude of 13.00 according to starrynight pro 6. This puts it near the limit of my scope Still found it easily though and could even pull a little detail from it.

Finally, what night could pass without a look at Saturn. This proved to me that the seeing had been great. Very crisp image even with the 10mm and 2.5 p/mate (250X). The ring shadow could be seen on the planet and a hint of the Cassini division. Four moons were present, Tethys,Dione, Rhea and Titan.

After this effort and a cup of tea Margaret came back outside with me to look at some of her favorites and guess what, the seeing had deteriorated by about 30%. Just goes to show.

Finally got to bed at about 2.30am WDST after a terrific fun night.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:27 PM
leinad (Dan)

Nice report Wade.
I can agree with you about the seeing going bad around 2-3am, especially down here outside the city. Saturday night around 3.3am was much better here.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:18 PM
desler

Congrats Wade

Nice report. Keep hoping for those clear skies.

Darren
Old 05-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Rob_K

Great report WadeH! Lots of magnificent sights there! Re 4945, I have the same prob with Starry Night - it gives the magnitude for 4945A (13), not 4945. The magnitude is actually about 9, which explains why you can see so much of this large galaxy.

Cheers -
Old 05-03-2008, 08:15 PM
WadeH (Wade)
WadeH

Thanks Rob, that does explain things a bit. I thought that NGC 4945 looked a bit bright for the listing. But I am still learning the mag's through the eyepiece.

It was a great night though.