Old 05-12-2019, 03:10 PM
brisen (Brian)

Ha Horsehead WIP

I have been slowly collecting some Ha data on the Horsehead over the last few nights and have roughly processed the 12.5 hrs I have so far to see what it looks like while I continue collecting more data. Smoke haze and poor seeing has limited the amount of data so far. Apart from image calibration and ABE, the only processing of the data has been MLT and HT in Pixinsight.

25 x 1800 second images with the Baader Ultra narrowband Ha (3.5nm) filter with an Atik One on an Esprit 120. This was taken under Bortle 5 skies with a street light about 5 meters away. I am still collecting data for this and will likely just do a Ha image with the final data set once I get the hours I am aiming for.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (HH 12.5.jpg)
161.1 KB125 views
Old 05-12-2019, 04:44 PM
RyanJones

Beautiful Brian. Really beautiful. 1800 sec subs ?

Hate to say it but surely an image as good as this on a rig and a person operating the rig that can take 30 min subs is not a beginner ?

Awesome image !
Old 06-12-2019, 05:26 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

That's looking like it's going to be a cracker! You could also leave it as is. BW Ha images can be just as beautiful as their composites. Fantastic!
Old 06-12-2019, 06:45 AM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
Beautiful Brian. Really beautiful. 1800 sec subs ?

Hate to say it but surely an image as good as this on a rig and a person operating the rig that can take 30 min subs is not a beginner ?

Awesome image !
Ryan, you’ve made a very good point here re ‘beginner’ status I think but it does beg a question......when is it the time to move to deep space?
I must admit I’ve pondered it before.
I think many people don’t want to take a step to the big boys forum because they’re worried they are big noting themselves and their images don’t actually warrant the move!

Why don’t we (as a supportive Astro imaging community ) sort out some form of voting system to move people on from the beginner section.

Not sure what this would look like but maybe something as simple as if a beginner if 3 or more people say they believe it’s time to move on then that’s when they do???

The issue we have is we don’t want to flood the big boys gallery with pics that aren’t worthy of being there and on the other hand we don’t want to discourage beginners by having pro shots in their gallery

PS......I’d say this is a pro shot....excellent image
Old 06-12-2019, 09:14 AM
brisen (Brian)

Thanks everyone for the comments. I guess I still see myself as a beginner, particularly when it comes to the processing side of things as I don't get enough time to practice with PI.

I managed to collect another 5.5 hrs on this last night and hope to get the same or a bit more again tonight while its clear. It looks like the cloud is set to return from tomorrow night. Once I get the final image done I will post it in the other forum.

Brian
Old 06-12-2019, 09:18 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Very classy shot!
Old 06-12-2019, 10:37 AM
Paulyman (Paul)

Wow, what a shot!
Old 06-12-2019, 10:38 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Brian
An incredible image !!
I thinks it’s time you progressed to the Deep Space forum
It will encourage you to produce fantastic images like this one and even better ones
Well done !!
On another note
PS : you haven’t seen smoke in the suburbs until you witness yesterday in Sydney’s south. Visibility in my street was only 50 to 75m at 2.00pm yesterday and the sun was a red glowing ball
The main fires around Sydney are 60km and 80km away from my suburb too
Never seen anything like this in my 59 years living in this area
Lost for words....
Old 06-12-2019, 12:35 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imme View Post
Ryan, you’ve made a very good point here re ‘beginner’ status I think but it does beg a question......when is it the time to move to deep space?
I must admit I’ve pondered it before.
I think many people don’t want to take a step to the big boys forum because they’re worried they are big noting themselves and their images don’t actually warrant the move!

Why don’t we (as a supportive Astro imaging community ) sort out some form of voting system to move people on from the beginner section.

Not sure what this would look like but maybe something as simple as if a beginner if 3 or more people say they believe it’s time to move on then that’s when they do???

The issue we have is we don’t want to flood the big boys gallery with pics that aren’t worthy of being there and on the other hand we don’t want to discourage beginners by having pro shots in their gallery

PS......I’d say this is a pro shot....excellent image
It’s has been said before but I’ll say it again for any Mods listening. I think we need an intermediate section, somewhere comfortable for members to transition to. I understand the fear of posting in the deep space section but honestly I very rarely see any comments by the big boys that are anything other than supportive or constructive. On the flip side though I’d agree that we don’t want to start filling up the deep space forum with images that are maybe not quite at that level yet.

If we want to do a voting system, I’ll start a thread in the imaging and equipment forum and if you think we should have an intermediate section, let’s take a vote on it ?
Old 06-12-2019, 12:51 PM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Fantastic image Brian.!!
I agree, an expert image and perfect guiding.
Cheers
Andy
Old 08-12-2019, 10:02 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Nice to see a result from Baader Ultra NB 3.5nm, so do you have the rest from Baader as Ultra NB filters [OIII/SII]? I want to see more from those filters to justify if they are doing better than 8/7/6.5/6 nm filters, ofcourse i won't talk about 5nm or 3nm from Astrodon/Chroma.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:15 AM
brisen (Brian)

I have the SII in the ultra narrowband but haven't had an opportunity to use it as yet. I have the OIII on order but it is not available from Baader in the 1.25" at this stage.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:19 AM
Fernando

A nice, great, beautifull image.

Congratulations!!!
Old 23-12-2019, 01:05 AM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

Awesome shot of this iconic DSO Brian, beautiful clarity & depth.
Cheers,
Tony