Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-02-2015, 01:46 AM
aiesh_kaul (Jimmy)

Astronomy Club in Central Coast, NSW ?

Hello Everybody,

I am new to astronomy and looking to join an astronomy club. I am living in Gosford, Central Coast, NSW. Does anyone know if an astronomy club exists in this area ?

Thanks,
Jimmy
Old 14-02-2015, 08:32 AM
Arthur Alchin (Arthur Alchin)
Honey based Meade

Central Coast NSW

Hi Jimmy.
There are a group of amateurs on the CC who get together at the pony club at mangrove mountain on the new moon each month ( or the closest Saturday night to the new moon anyway).

A number of us have a key to the property and there is no cost involved. There have been discussions over the years about forming a club but the idea has never been formalised.

Watch for any threads with Pony Club on the forum and you will be on a winner. The fellars are great and currently the largest scope that shows its face is owned by a guy called PHIL and its a 28" SMD. There are a lot of larger aperture dobs and quite a mixture of other scopes and some with no scopes which is equally as welcome.

We also have camping trips as a group for those who wish to go, w attend free camping areas ( or very inexpensive ones if necessary) in fact there is a small group going this week to Bretti reserve up from Gloucester for a few days. The skies there are magic, weather permitting.

I am sure others will fill you in more on our activities but at this tage welcome to our group if you choose to come on board.

Regular names you will see on the threads are Allan, Allan, Geoff, (filter) Geoff ( the owl) Geoff ( Inmykombi) Rick, Jacob, John (Fiscics) Rod, Mike ( the father of the website) Greg, Arthur ( that's me) PHIL, John Bambery, Glenn ( Lake Macquarie) and numerous others.

Feel free to call me for any other info 0400372813 although I'm in tasmania till tomorrow afternoon
Old 14-02-2015, 01:16 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Don't forget the IISAC star party coming up next month too!

10+ years ago there was thoughts about getting a central coast club together, but who could be bothered with the politics? We just wanted to observe so that's what we did.

As Arthur said, there's a monthly meet up at Mangrove MOuntain plus the monthly camping trips at Bretti.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:50 PM
Matt86 (Matt)

I am also interested in this mangrove mountain viewings, I have my own telescope, a Celestron Nexstar 130SLT. Could I have a bit more information about the Saturday gatherings?
Old 05-05-2015, 02:34 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Hi Matt,
Welcome to IceInSpace .
The Mangrove Mountain observing nights are held at the Mangrove Mountain Pony Club grounds (which is a Public Reserve, under lease type arrangement to 2 Equestrian Clubs - hence the aka Pony Club mentioned earlier).

It is available to amateur astronomers to use free of charge (when available).

The skies are pretty dark there, although there is a bit of light dome from Sydney and several local lights that can be avoided by careful positioning of our gear.

All are welcome.
But there are currently no amenities available.
280m above sea level, viewing is good, but dew can be a problem at times. Dew shields and dew heaters are commonly used by regulars.

There is a map and how to get there in the "sticky" section at the top of this forum.

Due to poor weather, and lack of facilities, attendances have declined in recent times. Also, short camping Astro-Trips to Bretti sometimes take regulars away around the New Moon. (Bretti is about 3 hours north of Central Coast and has darker skies, is free, with long drop toilets, pleasant river outlook, and plenty of flat space).

If you keep an eye on this forum, you may see a thread started considering a Pony Club observing session, and there is an ongoing Bretti thread if you are interested in joining us for that.

Note that there are tentative plans for a Bretti trip this New Moon, but as not everyone can get away for a few days (or wants to), there will likely be a Pony Club thread opening up shortly. Weather dependent. Or open a thread yourself asking if anyone with a key is going.

Hope to see you there or at Bretti sometime soon
Regards
Old 19-12-2019, 08:51 AM
scuba_nomad (Nick)

Hi
I am new to astronomy and would like to join the CC group in Mangrove but was wondering if it is still going ahead due to the fires? Also does anybody who attends live near, or passes on the way, Phegans Bay. I am partially sight so can’t drive - a lift would be appreciated - cheeky I know!
Old 19-12-2019, 10:46 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_nomad View Post
Hi
I am new to astronomy and would like to join the CC group in Mangrove but was wondering if it is still going ahead due to the fires? Also does anybody who attends live near, or passes on the way, Phegans Bay. I am partially sight so can’t drive - a lift would be appreciated - cheeky I know!
Hi Nick,
Welcome to IceInSpace

The Mangrove Mountain site is currently off limits and directly impacted by the current fire there.

There has been nothing to observe here for the last six weeks anyway with the smoke and haze covering the coast.

It is not clear if and when the Mangrove Mountain observing site will be re-started.
But I wouldn't expect any activity till late January at the earliest.
Very frustrating at the moment.
In the meantime, have you downloaded Stellarium. A great Free planetarium. Lets you know what the sky would look like if we could see it.

Also, Not sure if any of our regulars live down your way.
Hopefully someone will put their hand up.

Cheers
Allan
Old 19-12-2019, 08:09 PM
glend (Glen)

Sadly it seems likely that it will take a long time for truly clear night skies to return. Even here on the coast further north, an easterly wind can not clear the muck. Far too much fine ash has been carried into the upper atmosphere. We need these fires to be put out and that is not going to happen without good rain, and clearing winds aloft. I have heard suggestions that May could be the earliest we can hope for a return to useful astronomy skies. A good east coast low would help alot.
Old 20-12-2019, 09:05 PM
scuba_nomad (Nick)

The Earth needs to quit smoking!

Thanks for the replies - praying for some decent rain but stargazing seems very inconsequential when our brave fire fighters are putting themselves at such risk.

I’ll checkout the software you suggested Allan, cheers

Hope to see you up there when the situation settles.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:36 PM
BeepBeepBeep (Andrew)

Hello Guys I am new here I am just wondering what with all that is happening are you guys still meeting up on the central coast? I have recently moved to the area and would be interesting in checking it out.
Old 21-08-2022, 09:20 PM
fouriertyp

Hi Allan,
I plan to come to Mangrove Mountain next Saturday (27th Aug). Do you have a recommendation on a exact spot I should go observing the sky?

Thanks,
Yongping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_L View Post
Hi Nick,
Welcome to IceInSpace

The Mangrove Mountain site is currently off limits and directly impacted by the current fire there.

There has been nothing to observe here for the last six weeks anyway with the smoke and haze covering the coast.

It is not clear if and when the Mangrove Mountain observing site will be re-started.
But I wouldn't expect any activity till late January at the earliest.
Very frustrating at the moment.
In the meantime, have you downloaded Stellarium. A great Free planetarium. Lets you know what the sky would look like if we could see it.

Also, Not sure if any of our regulars live down your way.
Hopefully someone will put their hand up.

Cheers
Allan
Old 22-08-2022, 08:40 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Hi Yongping,
Welcome to IceInSpace

Sorry,
Our Regular observing site is privately owned and gated (locked).
I am not aware of it having been used for Stargazing for a few years now (pre-Covid).

I am currently not well, and have sold most of my astro gear.

We have used a park in Bloodtree Road for observing as an alternate site on occasions and this may suit your needs. I dont expect there will be anyone else there this Saturday, so It is up to you if you want to risk it.

Hopefully someone else may be interested and able to suggest something as well, or join you.

Regards