ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2019, 02:24 PM
casstony

Antennae

NGC 4038 and 4039 colliding. This is only 50 minutes with TS115 and heavily stretched to bring out the tails - worth revisiting to get a few hours of exposure.

NGC 4027 is an odd shaped single arm galaxy at the bottom of the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (antennae_ABE10%.jpg)
194.5 KB65 views
Old 05-04-2019, 05:51 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

I can start to see the antennae. Nice
Old 05-04-2019, 09:40 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Quote:
NGC 4038 and 4039 colliding. This is only 50 minutes with TS115 and heavily stretched to bring out the tails - worth revisiting to get a few hours of exposure.

NGC 4027 is an odd shaped single arm galaxy at the bottom of the frame
Boy Tony, you sure crammed in a lot of work in one night! Very nice result given the limited data on such a small and faint object, you must have nice dark skies out there.

Quote:
Galaxy cluster in Virgo. More time would be good for this one to bring out faint features. I was mainly concerned with trying different targets in the not-so-great conditions to see what I could get.
TS115, 15x4 min
I think your result is very promising for when conditions improve. Can't wait to see them when it does. Nicely done.

Quote:
The brightest galaxy here is ngc 4696, 145 million light years distant.
Lots of small galaxies to see in the image if you put your glasses on
This one came up a treat, soooo many faint fuzzies to ponder over, makes a very interesting shot, I'll have to have a go at this some time. Didn't realise the Centaurus galaxy cluster was so populated.

Quote:
ngc 4945 and a couple of friends with the refractor.
7x4 min plus 4x6 min.

The second image is a sub showing the view through thin cloud which wasn't helping.
Who would of thought you could extract such a great image of this galaxy with those subs. Your post processing skills are very efficient! Nice shot, I took this galaxy from suburban Melbourne a year or two ago with an SW Esprit 100, a similar shot but yours is better. Great job!

Quote:
The refractor sure is easier to image with in less than perfect conditions. Thin cloud and strong winds weren't helping last night but I managed to image a few clusters.

There's a gazillion galaxies in the image, but it's like finding head lice at this scale - the object is better suited to a larger scope I feel. Still fun to look at though

14x4 min, TS115 with .8 reducer, Nikon d5600.
Another great galaxy cluster shot, you are kicking goals there, Tony. What focal length is your TS115? You have to be happy with that!
Old 05-04-2019, 10:38 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Tony
Although heavily stretched , this is a super image considering you captured less than an hour of data
Great work !!
Old 05-04-2019, 10:56 PM
casstony

Thanks Martin, Chris and Mick. I did want to try the Antila cluster as well, but I can't complain. I keep meaning to go back and get better images/more time on various objects, but there's so much up there I feel like a kid in a lolly shop - easily distracted.

I'm in town on the border of a green/yellow zone, but the backyard is fairly dark.

The TS115 is 800mm focal length reduced to 640mm. It's a very good scope for the money and not too heavy. I notice it's just gone up in price by 100 odd euros.
I'm an amateur at processing. The images are lights only, stacked in DSS, stretched etc in PS and with background extraction in my trial of pixinsight.

That Centaurus cluster does seem to be teeming.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:43 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Amazing.
Alex
Old 07-04-2019, 10:44 AM
Fernando

Nice!!!
Old 07-04-2019, 11:03 AM
casstony

Thanks Fernando. I doubled the exposure time and the tails are a bit more obvious - not an easy target though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Ant_ABE 10%.jpg)
187.9 KB8 views