Old 12-02-2021, 05:32 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Samyang 14mm F2.4 XP Canon AE

Just picked up one of these in the Digi-Direct sale and thus far, daylight only, I'm pretty happy

Of course, its a replacement from my trusty 14mm USM that has adventured with me for a number of years but has always been a misery to use in the daytime as it's way to hard to get a great focus with on nearby objects (and the metering was off in the DSLR days).

Well the XP version is a different beast all together as it is packed with the same electronic goodies as any other fully functional Canon lens minus autofocus. So all of a sudden all of the cameras shooting modes work perfectly, most importantly Av, and saving the best till last, so does the brilliant Manual Focus Assist mode in my EOS R which is super accurate and allows me to focus whilst holding the camera at jaunty angles - Ah, bliss.

I've seen that these are not too shabby on the night sky too, but that will have to wait until those Brisbane clouds depart.

Any other users with experiences to share? I bought it local just incase there are any QC issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Samyang.jpg)
201.7 KB22 views
Click for full-size image (obs.jpg)
205.1 KB20 views
Old 12-02-2021, 09:44 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

And the clouds obliged.

Fully opened (f2.5) 6 second shot at iso 3200. Not too shabby across the field. The focus isn't quite even across the whole field though, but hardly any coma. Looking forward to taking it out to a decent site!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (test.jpg)
114.8 KB25 views
Old 13-02-2021, 08:01 AM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

And finally, few hours later, 15seconds at F2.5.

Everything seems nice and tight all across the field and the vignetting even. There is quite a range of focus positions that get the centre of the field very sharp, but only one that works over the whole field - something I need to be wary of!

It'll do me nicely...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (test1.jpg)
204.7 KB33 views
Old 16-02-2021, 01:33 PM
gregbradley

That looks very good.

Greg.
Old 19-02-2021, 04:32 PM
Sayfog (Alistair)

Indeed, looks a lot better than my 'trusty' f/2.8 samyang 14mm, might have to consider it as a viable halfway point between that and the expensive sigma 14mm.
Old 19-02-2021, 10:43 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayfog View Post
Indeed, looks a lot better than my 'trusty' f/2.8 samyang 14mm, might have to consider it as a viable halfway point between that and the expensive sigma 14mm.
I think its a finer lens than the Sigma 14. No autofocus, but better overall, especially in the corners where it is much better corrected and as a result the Samyang can be used fully open with only minimal coma. Oh and half the price