Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-11-2014, 07:59 AM
condebob (Bob)

Return to astronomy, portability of the AP1200

Hey guys

Im getting back into astronomy after 25 years...

The changes to the scene are mind-boggling. I would never have thought that scopes over 250mm would ever be an option for an amateur; but they are everywhere! - and the results you are achieving, just amazing.

I still have my trusty 8" Meade, which is built like a tank, and am considering the future. I think I'll look for a mount first, as the old meade was pre goto, so it makes some sense to look for a mount first, then add a larger scope as I develop.

I'll probably end up with an astrograph of 300mm of some sort - I love photography.

Seems that the general consensus is that the mount is critical. I'll be looking to move about and seek dark sky from time to time and am considering the portability of the AP1200 mount - which I'll have to find second hand.

Im a big guy 194cm and pretty fit, but my question is, is the 1200 as portable as it looks? Do they come up second hand? or maybe I should be looking for a Losmandy titan.

Many thanks

bob
Old 22-11-2014, 08:37 AM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Welcome back Bob
It is always good to have people come back into the fold !
When I came into Astronomy Ice In Space was just coming into being, we were moving from Astronomy being for the dedicated few to being widely accessible. For my part I have gone from starting a club (GAA in the NT) to importing and distributing telescopes in the last 12 yrs through my business NightSkySecrets.
I am still as awestruck by the nightsky as I was when I looked through my first Tasco telescope at 10yo
Old 22-11-2014, 01:30 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

I use an AP900 portably. The AP1200 RA assembly is about the same weight as the AP900 RA+Dec and I'm OK to carry that around in one piece. I'm not particularly huge...

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 22-11-2014, 10:22 PM
HCR32 (Peter)

Had an ap900 and didn't find it an issue to setup and break down. The ap 1200 is a bit heavier and would say it can be portable with a little more effort but if your buying into a 300mm I'd buy an ap900 save a little cash.
Old 23-11-2014, 10:48 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

I know there were 2 Astro physics mount setup at Heathcote on Friday night, one on a portable pier the other installed o one of the permanent piers they have there. Not sure what model they were but will attempt to find out!

Malcolm