Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 17-11-2014, 11:09 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStarGazer View Post
Maybe they have seen enough and don't want to come back. We are not exactly an ideal planet in terms of solidarity etc.
Here are some thoughts from NDGT on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt0uV5d8tss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69qYusZyLrs

I'm sure it's been posted before, but it's very entertaining.
Old 17-11-2014, 11:40 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
Here are some thoughts from NDGT on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt0uV5d8tss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69qYusZyLrs

I'm sure it's been posted before, but it's very entertaining.

PS: I hadn't seen it before...
Old 17-11-2014, 01:51 PM
speach (Simon)

For a start off let me say that there is life and intelligent life in our galaxy leave alone all the other galaxies. To think that we are the only intelligent life in the universe is stupid and very arrogant. But to say that there are such things as UFO's that contain life which come down to look at us then fly off without contacting us is laughable, if not the product of a deranged mind. It belongs to the flat earthers and the people that see in the icing on a birthday cake a picture of christ weeping (christis deliberately without a capital). Think of the resources that will have gone into this flight, even if that are so far advanced to that above light speed travel is possible it will still take a lot of resources , unless they have developed self teleportation. Now we really in cloud cuckoo land, but I find that more plausible, only just, then UFO's.
If it was us, that was doing the interstellar travel I'm sure that we would not leave without make some kind of contact, look at Voyager (7?) it's got a plaque on its side just in case it bumps into someone or something that can decipher it.
Too paraphrase Scrooge in 'A Christmas tale' "UFO's balderdash"!
Old 17-11-2014, 02:35 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

I think that one would slip into another dimension and then out of it close to your destination.
ftl transport is too expensive to contemplate.
If I was to visit here as an intelligent species, I'd put up a sign with do not enter, agressive and dangerous inhabitants. Leave for another 2000 years.
Old 17-11-2014, 02:46 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenchris View Post
Leave for another 2000 years.
In 2000 years we might already have completely destroyed our planet.
Old 18-11-2014, 06:56 AM
Duke1966

The people who are none believers in UFO's, are the people who haven't had any encounters at all. They will continue to be none believers, but until they see one, they have that right. I happen to be lucky to have seen an encounter and to be in the right place at the right time.

You may never see one your whole life…But you have to keep trying.

Duke1966
Old 18-11-2014, 07:18 AM
Duke1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by csb View Post
We should probably get back to Duke1966.

Welcome Duke. Sorry for the odd reception.

So was the info and link posted by Wayne helpful? Was it the same occurrence you mentioned?
Sorry Thread.

I haven't read the article, i haven't seen at all. What was said and where was it posted?

Would like to read.

Duke...
Old 18-11-2014, 11:12 AM
csb (Craig)

Hi Duke

It is the 2nd reply after your original post about the incident. User name is Wayne Anderson.
Old 18-11-2014, 12:58 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Like some of my fellow observers here I have had 100's of hour observing and no "Encounters"
However, this one I could not explain.
I was there at the time it happened and someone in my vicinity saw it, but did not speak up soon enough, for me to have a look.
Space junk is still most likely, all things considered,k dispite an aparant 2nd appearance. I figure that once there is a "Sighting" people start looking up !
Old 18-11-2014, 01:28 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaa_ian View Post
this one I could not explain.
If you ever see the ISS moving East to West then they have a serious problem
Old 18-11-2014, 02:10 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

It was dark, yet you could see the colour of the object
I have never seen the colour of an aircraft,except of being black in the dark.
This thing must have stopped in front of your eyes to give the details you present here.
I could not count the amount of windows on a 747 at that distance from me,which btw is about the size of the "UFO" in question going from your guestimate.
As an ex military man and working with aircraft for many years both at base and in the field, I could never give that sort of description of an aircraft in the dark.
Why would a "UFO" have lights on the antannai
And they just happen to be the same colours that a lot of aircraft have on them.
I can forgive the passage of time on the memory,48 years or so, but there is a bit of information missing, such as time of night/how dark was it, how high was it?.
And how could you hear the wind swishing over the craft. ?
Extra ordinary claims require extra ordinary facts, I see none here,just a good story.
I know I may get howled down on this,but I have noticed in the nearly 10 years on iceinspace, how every now and again a story like this appears
Which draws quite a bit of controversy, then the person who put the story here, disappears back into the ether, and lets every one fight it out among them selves.
With nearly 30 years observing under my belt and many more being out under the night sky, I have never observed anything that could not be explained, but just because it cannot be explained by me or other agencies does not mean it is extra terrestrial.
I was once told, and it has been alluded on this thread,if you don't believe you will never see one.
Needless to say,I have never seen one.
Just because a person is new here that doesn't preclude him/her from scrutiny if they present something that is purported as fact, it should be open to question in my opinion, not with snide remarks etc but with probing questions.
Just my 2 bobs worth
Cheers
Old 18-11-2014, 02:30 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by csb View Post
Hi Duke

It is the 2nd reply after your original post about the incident. User name is Wayne Anderson.
Apparently it was also discussed on Today Tonight not too long ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1CBouzER5o

I think this is also about the April 1966 event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmaAqmOAqKg

However the episode they described was in April 1966, not in November or December, as Duke says. He says it is not the same event.
Old 18-11-2014, 02:54 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto View Post
If you ever see the ISS moving East to West then they have a serious problem

Beam me up ISS (Inter Stellar Spaceship)
For the record, I believe there is bound to be life "Out There"
I do not believe "they" have been or ever will come "Here"
It defies known physics & there is no evidence.
But hey ... I could be wrong !
Old 18-11-2014, 03:02 PM
Monstar (Johnny)

I really dislike it when people immediately poo poo the idea that someone has seen something that is "Unidentified".

Im sure that if an intelligent being from another planet came to have a butchers at us they would want to keep themselves unidentified when they see how we treat each other and our planet home. They would soon realise that we don't like things we can't understand and that given the chance we'd probably try to catch or kill them.

When people immediately criticise and try to make out that the person who saw it is just after attention or must be mad they are just exhibiting this very human trait. They dismiss the idea offhand because they haven't witnessed it.

If you can prove something isn't what the witness thought it was fair enough. Otherwise I find it better to keep an open mind.

BTW I have never been witness to any such event and I'm not sure I'd like to, and whether you believe or not everyone has that right to their own opinions.
Old 18-11-2014, 03:21 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstar View Post
I really dislike it when people immediately poo poo the idea that someone has seen something that is "Unidentified".

Im sure that if an intelligent being from another planet came to have a butchers at us they would want to keep themselves unidentified when they see how we treat each other and our planet home. They would soon realise that we don't like things we can't understand and that given the chance we'd probably try to catch or kill them.

When people immediately criticise and try to make out that the person who saw it is just after attention or must be mad they are just exhibiting this very human trait. They dismiss the idea offhand because they haven't witnessed it.

If you can prove something isn't what the witness thought it was fair enough. Otherwise I find it better to keep an open mind.

BTW I have never been witness to any such event and I'm not sure I'd like to, and whether you believe or not everyone has that right to their own opinions.
True,but if you put it on an open forum full of mainly Astronomers,then you should expect to be open to discussion, not just be believed and expect kudos and applause.
Otherwise in a court of law for instance every witness would be believed and basically we would get no where.
I would hazard a guess that there are more people out there who have NOT seen one than people who have.
I don't take stories about "UFO's" at face value and nor should I ,I want facts not fiction,and to me most of the stories are at best misinterpretation,and at worst pure fabrication, and BTW most of them have been proven the latter,with a few in the don't know basket.
Cheers
Old 18-11-2014, 03:21 PM
csb (Craig)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
Just because a person is new here that doesn't preclude him/her from scrutiny if they present something that is purported as fact, it should be open to question in my opinion, not with snide remarks etc but with probing questions.
Just my 2 bobs worth
Cheers
That is how to demonstrate rational & respectful scepticism.

I hope Duke will enter into the discussion. Although it can take courage to enter a den full of sceptics. Duke didnt receive a warm welcome and us sceptics jumped right in with our thoughts. Please remember this is not a adversarial discussion.

I also like to have stated facts of UFO sightings queried and clarified. I have been fascinated by UFO sightings since boyhood. I was always disappointed that the witnesses were not queried more indepth about their accounts.
Old 18-11-2014, 03:25 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

I was given this sign by a passing alien - he said he found it hanging about just outside the orbit of Neptune
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (WARNING.jpg)
37.6 KB65 views
Old 18-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Monstar (Johnny)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
True,but if you put it on an open forum full of mainly Astronomers,then you should expect to be open to discussion, not just be believed and expect kudos and applause
Cheers
Ron, I was not saying that anyone was right or wrong and agree that if you you put something on a discussion forum you should expect arguments from both sides. What I was attemting to say was, in this topic especially, I don't like it when people immediately state that others opinions/views are hogwash just because they go against their own beliefs. And of course this also works the other way too, just because you may believe in aliens it doesn't mean every strange light in the sky is evidence that they exist.

Just my view ;0)
Old 18-11-2014, 04:37 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Well folks, what ever we thinks as AA's with 10,000's of hour out under the night sky between us, the public LOVE this stuff !
I have access to the National Geo, Discovery and History channels ATM. I have watched Dozens of "Documentaries" on UFO's, Ancient Aliens, Lizard People etc ...etc
I am convinced, yes, there are some UFO's, these are well documented.
There is just no credible evidence that I have seen, that the UFO's are anything other than earth borne Manifestations, even if unexplained in some cases.
Great to hear your story Duke & welcome :-)
Old 18-11-2014, 04:59 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

The people I'd like to speak to are the astronauts.
They appear to have a completely different take on the presence or not of those not of this Earth.
Getting them to talk is another matter altogether.